UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh Clare how fustrating :GroupHug: At least it rules out any nasties but it doesnt help you find out whats wrong! Hope he can get an ECG done soon.

Well done Blue :biggrin: Maybe he's redeeming himself?

Milo all clipped out ready for showing next weekend. Ive trimmed his legs, hogged him, trimmed his face/jawline/whiskers, just need to try and get near his ears now, just after id done all that he decided to do his giraffe impression so i couldnt get near them :laugh:

We had a horrendous evening last night. Unfortunately we have an abandoned field behind our yard and gypsies use it to put their horses in. Until recently there was a mare and a foal in there but last night a trailer pulled up and they did a swap. They took the mare and foal and dumped the ugliest thing I have ever seen in the field. It was clearly a mule, had a pony body and a huge donkey head. Oh, and it was a STALLION :ohmy: I got a call whilst I was at work to say that Milo was going banana's (we know what hes like!!) and had trashed all his electric fencing, the ponies were galloping round, it was bedlam. I rushed down the yard from work and by this time the donkey stallion thing had broken in to our field, 2 owners were trying to keep it back with lunge whips. I managed to catch Milo and put him in his stable, his eyes were on stalks. We called the police to say that a stallion had broken on to our land, in the mean time the two 'owners' had come down to try and catch it. They were horrendous and really kicked off a fight with all of us claiming it was 'their land' etc etc etc. As soon as the Police turned up one of them legged it and the other one stayed and was clinging on to the donkey. The Police told them they would have to tether it overnight and move it today. I was down the yard at 8am and it was already gone, but apperently it was braying all night so maybe the neighbours complained aswell and got it moved :rolleyes: So Milo stayed in overnight for the first time since he's been with me and if that state of his stable this morning is going to be a regular feature he wont be coming in often :laugh: Gross animal.

And the pictures of Milo are where??? :unsure: :laugh:

Sounds like a nightmare CP. Glad they have moved it :)

I got confused at the yard last night. When I put blue back in the field, there was a pony standing at the gate that I didn't recognise at all. All the others were in the second field, but there was this small pony stood by the gate. As I don't normally see anyone and am last to know all the gossip and new arrivals, I assumed someone has a new pony or has changed fields. Our fields are not really accessible unless you go past the farm house, so I assumed that was the case. Will see if it is still there tonight.

Yay glad everything has settled back down :flowers: Sounds a fab lesson, are you off to any dressage soon?

ECG went fine nothing wrong in that area. A different vet came out to do it and he had different ideas as to what is wrong with Loki, he strongly feels its post viral fatigue. So left it that he was going to look at the bloods and get back to me and if it is he has something to get him back on track so we'll see what Monday brings :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed the vet can sort him out :flowers:

Am not sure when I am going to get to dressage, I have dates of a few shows in my diary, but either mum and dad are away and can't take us, or I am competing with the dogs. It's looking like the first one I can do is the 21st August, I would have liked to do one in July, but can't find anywhere on my free weekends :rolleyes:

Glad the ECG was clear - so what now, rest? :unsure:

Get ready for this one...

Went for my lesson this afternoon but had been at work today and was absoloutely shattered so asked my instructor if we could free school Milo instead. We set out some placing poles and jumps to help him with his striding. We set them out and he was going over them nicely. He kept going to the corner of the school (where there was a nice patch of tasty grass) so the next time he did it my instructor flicked the lunge whip to get him moving again and...

HE JUMPED OUT OF THE SCHOOL. FROM A STANDSTILL.

Which we later measured at 4'3"-4'6".

So, I think my big fat cobby jobby can jump. And im scared of 2'6" :laugh:

My friend video'd him free schooling so will try and get those on here so you can see them. Unfortunately she didnt get him jumping out of the school...

Got a nice pic earlier with his new haircut, will get that too...

He is looking amazing!

We had issues with gypsys years ago, a stallion, mare and filly in the field behind where i kept my mares, the stallion was hard work, kept going through fences to get to the mares (resulting in a large bill for injecting 5 mares :-( )

More recently a large gypsy breeder has had hundreds of horses living near me, the local school has 10 thousand pounds of damage to the fields, they cant even hold sports day!.... Having walked the fields regularly I have to say they have some stunning animals there, and i've been lucky enough to catch pics of some, including the beautiful foals

Any news on Loki or Bumble? :flowers:

In preparation for our show trip on Sunday I got a Pelham for the showing classes yesterday. They told me in his last home he 'went nicely in a pelham' so I wasnt too worried about it, so when I got home I decided to ride with it to see what he'd be like.

Well lets just say it explains everything. As soon as I got on his head was in the air, his back end felt like it was going to leave the earth very quickly, ears flat back. I trotted him round to see if he'd relax but he was just rushing away from it, suspiciously like he behaved when I bought him. I took it off him and put his loose ring french link snaffle back on to see if it was just him messing about but nope - just like that he was back to normal, relaxed, on the bit Milo.

It made me want to cry. Someone has obviously really hurt him in a pelham before because hes a 'strong cob' :mecry: theres just no need for it :mecry:

On the bright side, he then went beautifully in his snaffle which means all these painstaking months of reschooling have paid off :wub: So I think on Sunday i'll have to grit my teeth and show him in his snaffle and hang on for dear life :laugh:

Milo is looking great, fab jump on him :wub: Shame you didn't catch the great escape on video :laugh:

Not great news on Loki, after feeling quite positive after Friday and thinking perhaps it was post viral im not feeling so certain about it now. He has really struggled with his breathing in the hot weather, gave my vet a call this morning to see if any conclusions had been reached from Friday and he said the other vet had felt it was post viral and give him a week to see if he improves if not give him a tonic type treatment, I said ok but he hadn't been good last few days so perhaps we could start treatment straight away, he happened to be on a visit nearby so he said he would drop in and have a quick look at him.

He wasn't happy with him, his heart rate was high and his breathing labored even though resp rate was okay. He feels there is something "weird" going on, so change of plan he wants to scope him and if that is ok which he thinks its likely to be then they are going to xray chest and lungs to rule out any tumours :mecry: So both vets need to come out to do the xrays and its being done tomorrow afternoon :unsure:

There is so much that can happen with a horses wind.... a scope should give you a good idea...thankfully most things can be sorted out these days...is he making a noise in anyway when he canters?

Milo is looking great, fab jump on him :wub: Shame you didn't catch the great escape on video :laugh:

Not great news on Loki, after feeling quite positive after Friday and thinking perhaps it was post viral im not feeling so certain about it now. He has really struggled with his breathing in the hot weather, gave my vet a call this morning to see if any conclusions had been reached from Friday and he said the other vet had felt it was post viral and give him a week to see if he improves if not give him a tonic type treatment, I said ok but he hadn't been good last few days so perhaps we could start treatment straight away, he happened to be on a visit nearby so he said he would drop in and have a quick look at him.

He wasn't happy with him, his heart rate was high and his breathing labored even though resp rate was okay. He feels there is something "weird" going on, so change of plan he wants to scope him and if that is ok which he thinks its likely to be then they are going to xray chest and lungs to rule out any tumours :mecry: So both vets need to come out to do the xrays and its being done tomorrow afternoon :unsure:

Yes I though the same about tumours and bloods, I know my dad he has regular blood tests to check his condition.

No noise when cantering, just lots of nose noise if that makes sense :wacko:

I think they might well find something from the scope, with the way he is breathing I would think there should be something but who knows what suprises he has in store :rolleyes: