UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I am getting sick of hoof abscesses!!!! Everytime Feniks seems to be better and the farrier has said his foot is ok, after 4 days or so he is lame again :grrr: This morning brought him out of his stable and he is lame again. Farrier is coming at four.

Ah the joys of horse hunting I remember them well and don't envy you one little bit, but it is all worth it in the end when you find the right one :flowers:

What are you looking for, maybe we can "help" :laugh:

Ouch Gooster, hope you don't ache too much. I came off Loki in real style a few weeks ago, I am not in a hurry to do it again :laugh:

Sending "puss go away" thoughts for Feniks :flowers:

Rolo is looking fab :biggrin:

Loki now seems to be settling at the new place, we are enjoying hacking in the Great Park very much :biggrin: Managed to find a fantastic intructor who after just two lessons had me feeling so much better about our flatwork. Sadly he has moved from the place I was hacking to for lessons but he is going to come to our yard and teach when our "school" is in usuable condition, not ideal but I really like the results he gets from us!

Really struggling without the trailer, have managed to beg a friends trailer so I can do a hunter trial at the beginning of May, and just trying to pluck up the courage to ask if I can borrow it at the end of May as well for a one day event :rolleyes: I really thought it would be easy to find one to hire, but seemingly not in South East England :rolleyes: I want my own transport back :mecry:

I still keep coming back to look at the pollen sufferer :rolleyes:

I am trying to be realistic in that I'm 5 foot 2 and he's 16.3hh :unsure:

However 14 is a nice age

http://www.horsehunter.co.uk/advert_image.asp?FileName=uploads/57691.jpg&Title=Still for sale"]Linky://http://www.horsehunter.co.uk/advert...ale"]Linky://http://www.horsehunter.co.uk/advert...ale"]Linky://http://www.horsehunter.co.uk/advert...ale"]Linky

Linky

I am trying to find a 5* plus home. Summer is 16.3 and 14yrs he is very quiet in the school you could put anyone on him. He is a tb with a cob mentality so very forging. Im only selling him as i feel we have taught each other as much as possible. He loves hugs and kisses and lots of attention, he is 100% with all traffic that we have ever seen ( motorbikes, tractors, trailers and lorrys). Good to box clip and shoe. He is very light in the hand and never strong i have owned him for the past 5yrs so want to make sure the home he goes to is perfect as he deserves it.

The only other one recently that I really liked the look of is this one:

Linky

Linky

She is 16hh and 9 years old and is being advertised as a second horse.

Nice m/w irish type..nicely forward with plenty of breaks..good 2nd horse.. will work nicely in the arena, good to hack, traffic & open spaces 1st or last.. enjoys jumping 2'9.. good to do in allways, handle, shoe, catch, etc.. shaffle mouth.. since being with us she has shown no stable vices.. open to any vet.

I don't want a grade A, don't want one with whistles and bells, I just want something easygoing for hacking and cuddling lol.

Edited by supafrisk

Any excuse to browse horse ads :laugh:

Nice Mare - dealer

Sweat but worryingly cheap! - too small for my weight

Another - another dealer and a bit on the small side

Last one promise! - a bit too fine lol

TBH dealers scare me, I know there are some reputable ones out there but it always makes me wonder why they ended up at the dealers in the first place :unsure:

The chestnut looks nice but they only say he is quiet in the school :wacko:

I did email her regarding Summer (that's his name!) and she replied "Summer is still for sale, he's excellent when hacking both on the road with traffic and in field. He will stand to be mounted. He has to minor issues which are string halt in one hind leg which doesnt affect him work wise, also he has a pollen allergy which i treat with piriton."

Something about the mare I don't trust (you can see why it took me so long to find Loki :rolleyes: :laugh: )

.. And there was me thinking she had a kind eye... :rolleyes: :laugh:

:laugh:

I can understand your concerns with dealers, I didn't discount them when I was looking, and some of the worse liers were private sellers, I guess "trust no one" is the motto :laugh: Loki did come from a dealer but it was a nice place and I did for some reason trust the owner!

If you have a feeling about Summer why not go and meet him and his owner see how you feel :flowers:

Ok so who can remember my foal Molly? Well she was 5 on 10th April this year....

This is her as a foal....

190324480QEjCNH_ph.jpg

I've not seen Moll for two years as my ex took her when we split up as part of the 'settlement' anyway Moll came up for sale as he'd left her on al ivery yard and not paid his bills for 5 months! To cut a long story short I secured her a home for a couple of years with the hope I can buy her back and see her as much as I like. Shes grown loads but still the lovely Moll, aside from crying when I saw her over her lack of weight, bad back, poor teeth and never endingl ist of things we need to sort for her, she is fine.

012.jpg

014.jpg

:biggrin:

PhilMickey273.jpg

Oooh nearly forgot here is a foal at our yard, a filly who is just adorable. This is when she was a day old shes now 3 weeks old and doing great, super cheeky :biggrin:

Just a quick one form me!! Love the fill foal! Molly is looking fab - fingers crossed that fate will work it all out for you!

Poor Feniks - Nemo once had an abscess that took 3 months to go away!

I bought Rolo from a dealer - they seemed reasonably straight - and, had not developed in to such a huge athletic boy, we would probably still be perfectly happy together!

Find out more about Summer!

Gorgeous pics Sarah :wub:

Has anyone got any suggestions for what to do for a show piece? I have entered Blue in quite a large show near us, and need a suggestions for what to do?? I have entered him in a hunter type in hand, followed by show hunter pony. The real pain is that the ridden class is straight after the in hand class, so once I am done in there, I'll have to throw his saddle on and go straight in without having warmed up, which could be fun!!! Thankfully they are the first 2 classes of the show, so hopefully it'll be quiet with less public hanging around :wacko:

Just a quick one form me!! Love the fill foal! Molly is looking fab - fingers crossed that fate will work it all out for you!

Poor Feniks - Nemo once had an abscess that took 3 months to go away!

I bought Rolo from a dealer - they seemed reasonably straight - and, had not developed in to such a huge athletic boy, we would probably still be perfectly happy together!

Find out more about Summer!

Summer got sold :rolleyes:

I wanted to look at a 13 year old friesian mare but by the time I found the advert someone had put a deposit down on her :rolleyes:

As for dealers...... :unsure:

There's a 17hh bay horse on horsemart and the dealer owns a coloured mare and a bay gelding (I think he's got five for sale) well last saturday week I rang him and he answered in a strong northern ireland accent and said "I'm in a pub in Ireland, ring me back on Tuesday". I rang him back Wednesday and he told me he was on the boat heading back to ireland. He asked which horse I was interested in and I told him and he said "Oh, he's great, you can put your granny on him, but I have another bay who took a kick last week in the field and is lame, I'll let you have him cheap if he's still lame when I get back. Ring me on Friday" :ohmy:

So I rang him Friday and he said "So when do you want to ride him then?" I said how about in half an hour? (bearing in mind he lives 12 miles away from me). He said " Half an hour?!! No can do, I'm not around, can you make it Saturday 9am?" I said yes and asked for the address and he got cagey and asked me if I knew where the old people's home was and the mobile home park and when I said yes I knew coventry he said "Oh well meet me on the corner of the caravan park at 9am and I will take you to him, ring me first".

Needless to say, I didn't bother.

Ah yeah that is the kinda dealer you don't want to have anything to do with :laugh:

Sorry to hear Summer was sold.

Molly is gorgeous, fingers crossed everything works out :flowers: How is Easta recovering from her kick?

Yay for Feniks :biggrin:

Edited to add - couldn't resist a few more admit I am stretching the locations :biggrin:

Lovely Mare - a bit out of your area though

Connermara

Way over priced but does say home important

Edited by Clare

Hello all! I'm a newbie here, and I've posted a (long!) introduction in the main 'the place to start' section, but I hope it's ok to post it here too, now I've found the horsey bunch!

I'm in Devon and I rescue horses. I have a small non-profit organisation called Last Angel Equine Defence. Soon to be renamed Last Angel Equine Rescue (as we've had the 'defence' bit in the name for too long, and we think it's time to lose the word!) I'm on a steep learning curve! Not with horse rehabilitation, I know how to do that part! But with all the other necessary things needed to turn the organisation into a charity etc etc. My goodness, it's a maze!! But, slowly but surely we're getting there :)

My other project is Pound Dog Rescue Link. It's basically an information site and I set it up about a year ago. But I'm soon going to be handing the admin of it to someone who has the time to give to it. (I hope!) As, I don't seem to have enough time to do all of it now. But I will still be involved in it and will still do all I can though to help dogs as well as horses :)

Here are some pics of the rescued ponies (so far)

Below is Alfie. This is his 'Before' picture. Alfie is a 13.1hh Welsh Section B X (at least that's what we think he is!) Alfie came to us from a dealer. He was very ill with a chronic chest infection when he first arrived, plus he had a very heavy worm burden (the like of which I've never seen before) and he was also absolutely terrified of people, to the point where he was visibly shaking. The first thing I did when he arrived was take off his headcollar, which was far too tight and had obviously not been taken off for some time. Then I gave him some time and space alone, and only went into his stable to give him his hay, feed and water. He needed to see the vet, trimmer and dentist, so I knew a headcollar would need to go back on him, but I knew that any contact I had with him at this early stage was so important. Actually, all it needed was approach and retreat. I did a bit of a 'monty roberts' :laugh: to the point where Alfie realised I must've read the books, (minus the headcollar) and then just added the headcollar. Showed it to him, let him sniff it and then when I had his interest in it, I moved it away from him. Aha! I could almost see Alfie thinking, why doesn't this woman want me to smell that headcollar?! hmmm, I must investigate this further! I just kept taking it away from him and as I did, he just wanted to be nearer to it even more. All obvious stuff, but I just love the way it works. Why needlessly force them? Apart from the fact that it's a rude way to behave to a horse, it never does any good! So, from there on, our relationship grew stronger and stronger, and before long he completely trusted me. He still has a problem with men, and the only man he really trusts is my husband. When the vet comes, he hates it, but he feels a bit better if he is examined outside, and not in his stable. Poor boy, there's just some horrible memory there that he still can't shift. His chest infection took quite a long time to recover from, But, he is a healthy, happy little soul now, and full of joy and mischief :D He is an absolute sweetheart.

Alfie 'Before'

Alfie_before_cropped.jpg

Alfie 'After' Ah, that's better:)

Alfie_after_large.jpg

Candy

Candy_exmoor_web.jpg

Candy, 14.1hh Palomino Mare, approximately 24 years old.

The day that I first met Candy, she was standing miserably, lonely and neglected, on a dis-used piece of waste land within a housing estate, and the information I had learned about her future sickened me...she was due to go to slaughter. I was told it was because she had bucked and bolted when someone tried to ride her. Not a good reason to slaughter a horse!!! And, in all the time I have known her, she has never bucked or bolted. Quite an acheivement for any horse! This just proves to me again, that it is usually the way a horse is treated that determines a behaviour.

Candy had 'shut down' emotionally and she was also a very defensive mare, due to the fact that she was unloved and uncared for. After the initial foot care, vet treatment and dentistry was carried out, it took 3 months to gain her trust enough for her to come to me. I spent every day sitting in her paddock reading books and magazines, (much to the amusement of everyone at the livery yard where she was at the time.) Eventually though, she decided that she would come over and see what this odd woman was doing sitting in her paddock every day! And that was it! That was the point at which we became the best of friends. There is nothing like seeing a horse who has lost all trust in humans come around and be willing to trust again.

She is very prone to Laminitis, and I sometimes wonder if that was another reason why she was no longer wanted. Yes, Laminitis can be a difficult condition to manage, but it isn't impossible to manage! It would have been such a waste of a beautiful life.

It took a long time for Candy to gain trust in people, but eventually she trusted again. Once she gained her confidence, her wonderful nature had a chance to shine through. She just needed some understanding, patience and of course, love.

Anyway, this is a long post! sorry! it's nice to 'meet' you all, and I'm pleased to be here

Cathy x