UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

No foal :rolleyes:

Looks like Jas likes to keep us all on our toes! She started with contractions last night but then stopped. She is fit to burst but is happily chomping haylage when I left earlier.

Its her first foal and the last one from the YO stallion so its a special baby for her. It will be coloured warmblood. :)

I promise pictures when we have an arrival.

Can't wait for foalie pictures!!!

I've had to make the decision to keep Blue in at the moment, he's just not happy going out at the moment. On Monday, when I took his headcollar off when we got to the field, he turned round and bolted back to his stable. I've tried him in the alternative winter field, and he was fine for a couple of days but is now dragging his feet and looking miserable when going into the field. It doesn't help that he has to go out on his own, as noone else turns out as early as I do, but working in Chester, there is no alternative. I'm going to turn him out every other day and see how he goes on with that, which will hopefully give him the ideal balance of turnout and staying in!!!

Roll on summer!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I rode Wanda yesterday, first time since chainsaw arthroscopy, (see manky body parts), and it was sooooo much better than I thought it would be. I actually got some good work out of her and rode for about 30 minutes! :) I have to admit that when I saw the results of the surgery I thought it was the end of the line for riding but the knee is much improved so onwards and upwards! Jumping next I hope!

:elefant:

Umm.. hypothetical question here now...

If you were offered two horses for happy hacking, one with a pollen allergy and stringhalt in one hindleg, and the other that had a hairline frature of the navicular bone a year ago (fracture didn't show up on x rays, so they MRI scanned her) and has been box rested, had remedial shoeing and pads fitted between shoe and feet, which one would you be inclined to prefer, and why?

Just to elaborate, the stringhalt case is a TB gelding of 14 years and the hairline fracture is a dutch WB ex dressage mare of 13 years.

Just in case you were panicking, yes I still have Thugpants, but I'm thinking of having another that's a bit saner to give me a bit more confidence.

(OK so I admit it, I've lost my nerve a bit since Thug broke my collarbone)

:blush02:

The gelding on paper seems a safer bet, I'm not well up on fractures but I've always been frightened stiff of anything navicular related :unsure:

Edited by supafrisk

To be honest I wouldn't go with either :unsure: . How do they manage the pollen allergy because it can be a real nightmare and make hacking pretty difficult?

My first TB presumably had this (terrible head shaker in the Summer months). It got worse as he got older and in his next home he couldn't be taken out on the roads for his own safety in the end because of it.

Navicular would worry me too especially for road work due to the concussion, although bute is pretty effective.

How about an older horse that's still fit for gentle hacking? The veteran horse society is one option, or a loan horse from the Blue Cross?

To be honest I wouldn't go with either :unsure: . How do they manage the pollen allergy because it can be a real nightmare and make hacking pretty difficult?

My first TB presumably had this (terrible head shaker in the Summer months). It got worse as he got older and in his next home he couldn't be taken out on the roads for his own safety in the end because of it.

Navicular would worry me too especially for road work due to the concussion, although bute is pretty effective.

How about an older horse that's still fit for gentle hacking? The veteran horse society is one option, or a loan horse from the Blue Cross?

To be honest, I have nothing against older horses but I've not had much luck with them either :(

My first pony died of cancer in every organ his teens, my second horse died having emergency surgery for a tumour wrapped around her intestine, my third horse which was also a veteran had two heart defects meaning she couldn't be ridden as one was a problem with the electrical impulses and caused her heart to "forget" to beat, Cindy our veteran connemara is partially sighted in both eyes - blimey I don't have much luck with them, do I?

Mind you, Thug's only 7 and blind in one eye :rolleyes:

I think what I'm trying to say is basically I know anything could happen regardless of age but I've lost two wonderful horses in the past and the thought is always there that I will bond to another only to lose them to something that can't be treated :(

I know that in the past I have been honoured to be owned by two amazing horses that were like soulmates to me, I have no problem with paying for treatment etc as horses get older, it is to be expected, it is when you lose them and there's not a damn thing you could have done to prevent it that I fear most.

(Yes, I'm sad).

Umm.. hypothetical question here now...

If you were offered two horses for happy hacking, one with a pollen allergy and stringhalt in one hindleg, and the other that had a hairline frature of the navicular bone a year ago (fracture didn't show up on x rays, so they MRI scanned her) and has been box rested, had remedial shoeing and pads fitted between shoe and feet, which one would you be inclined to prefer, and why?

Just to elaborate, the stringhalt case is a TB gelding of 14 years and the hairline fracture is a dutch WB ex dressage mare of 13 years.

Just in case you were panicking, yes I still have Thugpants, but I'm thinking of having another that's a bit saner to give me a bit more confidence.

(OK so I admit it, I've lost my nerve a bit since Thug broke my collarbone)

:blush02:

The gelding on paper seems a safer bet, I'm not well up on fractures but I've always been frightened stiff of anything navicular related :unsure:

The hair line crack is a common problem with event horses. She may be faster than you think and hairlines may appear later and never totally heal. You could end up with a rearer or bucker because the horses feels pain. This is all possible but so is that the bone heals so take your choices on that one.

Pollen allergy can be managable. I have one that is the most perfect childs hack but put her under trees and she head shakes. Back here she is fine. She can wear a filter muzzle and she can have a series of injections but if she is somewhere with more field than trees she is fine again

Thankyou for the advice, I've decided to leave it for a few weeks as there has been a setback with selling Grandad's house. They were supposed to complete but now they are mucking Mum around, demanding she pay the indemnity on the rear access and other things as well and Mum's frightened stiff that they will back out after she's paid out left right and centre to pander to their needs :(

Not being money grabbing at all, but the solicitor pointed out to us the other day that it couldn't have been a worse time to sell the house, shares etc and after totting it all up he thinks in total that because of the recession we've actually lost out on about £61,000 :unsure:

And my first thought after typing that was I wonder how many bales of hay that is, and how long it would take Lesley to get through them?

Hello All

Sorry - not visited for ages :rolleyes:

Main reason is that I have made a very sad decision - I am going to sell Rolo - and I mean it this time! I am heartbroken, but we are too alike - he needs a confident rider and I need a confident horse!

I just couldn't face telling anyone.

Here is our latest video, if you are interested!

Good news about Wanda!

Nemo had quite a severe pollen allergy one Summer - it was manageable, but he had to be on steroids when it was really bad - which triggered very mild laminitis! After that I was ble to control it with a supplement from Global Herbs and Ventapulmin

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: to Jen

Emma - I know what you mean - I got so stressed when I was looking for Blue - so many ups and downs, with generally more downs than ups. You'll get there in the end though - me and Blue were meant to be together, and it's only in the last 6 months that I have really known it. He's started whinnying at me and we've really bonded!!!

Despite what I said above, I had another fall off him on Sunday. We were supposed to be filming for the interdressage, but my brother hadn't charged his video camera :rolleyes: I didn't realise till we had got down to the school in dressage stuff and stated to warm him up. My cousin is really getting into jumping on hers, so I suggested we put a couple of tiny cross poles up! At first, Blue wouldn't go near them as he thought they were going to eat him, but I got him walking over the poles and then put the cross pole back up. Once he got his confidence up, he got really excited again - he started really riding into the fences, and enjoyed it. Then we put the cross pole up a tiny bit more, and he got silly excited and jumped it like it was a 3ft jump (as opposed to the little 6 inch jump that it probably really was!!), he really unseated me, and because I was in my dressage saddle, I had no knee rolls and my stirrups were a bit long. I ended up falling off and smashing my head on the fence of the school :rolleyes: I have now decided that we do dressage, showing and hacking. We keep all 4 feet on the floor. We do not jump :laugh:

I think the one I viewed was the Grim Reaper's horse :(

On a score of 1-5, five being up to weight, he was a two. The woman said he dropped weight every winter and it takes til summer to get it back on, if she gives him hard feed then he's fizzy and no good for teaching disabled kids :ohmy:

He boxwalks, kicks shyte out of the stable if he doesn't get a feed when the others do but they claimed to feed him adlib hay. B---sh-t.

There was no bedding in his stable, which stunk like a latrine (allegedly because of the boxwalking, I bet because he eats it if given the chance).

Edited to add that he's 12 :ohmy:

Edited by supafrisk