UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

You are so right CRB, saddles aren't a will do situation. It can be so difficult to find the correct one though and of course cost has to be part of the equation!

I had a play with Banner today, a bit of double lining was the start, she went bonkers, more like kite flying. Tried leading her over a pole on the floor, she went bonkers and leapt 4ft in the air. I tried a bag on the floor held down with poles to walk over, her eyes came out on stalks and she hyperventilated so badly I thought she was going to die! I took her to see the big barrels, she ignored them, I pushed one over, she said 'whatever' in bored voice, I led her past them and yes, she went bonkers! :biggrin:

Took her back on the yard and clippered her bridle path, no problems there. So we went for a walk, she's like a little clockwork toy and titups along like fun, loads of traffic passed us, some huge lorries and a very noisy trailer, no problem at all, she doesn't even look.

A lot of her usual stuff did not appear, no capriole, no handstands and no bolts, she legged it a few times but it was controllable! She is the strangest pony, I get achieve so much with her at times, I really thought she would make a super driving pony but it became obvious she would never be safe and she always has something new in her bag to pull out when she is ready. It is all behavioural I know and she certainly knows how to manipulate any situation but the hypervents are awful and when she does them I'm sure she is worried. I may stick to taking her for walks and let her be a field ornament the rest of the time! I still think she is adorable even if she is a little crazy! :wub:

You are so right CRB, saddles aren't a will do situation. It can be so difficult to find the correct one though and of course cost has to be part of the equation!

I had a play with Banner today, a bit of double lining was the start, she went bonkers, more like kite flying. Tried leading her over a pole on the floor, she went bonkers and leapt 4ft in the air. I tried a bag on the floor held down with poles to walk over, her eyes came out on stalks and she hyperventilated so badly I thought she was going to die! I took her to see the big barrels, she ignored them, I pushed one over, she said 'whatever' in bored voice, I led her past them and yes, she went bonkers! :biggrin:

Took her back on the yard and clippered her bridle path, no problems there. So we went for a walk, she's like a little clockwork toy and titups along like fun, loads of traffic passed us, some huge lorries and a very noisy trailer, no problem at all, she doesn't even look.

A lot of her usual stuff did not appear, no capriole, no handstands and no bolts, she legged it a few times but it was controllable! She is the strangest pony, I get achieve so much with her at times, I really thought she would make a super driving pony but it became obvious she would never be safe and she always has something new in her bag to pull out when she is ready. It is all behavioural I know and she certainly knows how to manipulate any situation but the hypervents are awful and when she does them I'm sure she is worried. I may stick to taking her for walks and let her be a field ornament the rest of the time! I still think she is adorable even if she is a little crazy! :wub:

Id just put the stuff down in the field and let her get used to them a bit at a time.. so but the bag down one week and barrels etc the next...

Couple of piccies of Magic from hunt on Saturday taken by professional photographer. I was the 200th person to like his Facebook page so get a free mounted piccie of my choice. Well I have to pick one of Magic dont I regardless of who is on his back :wub:

Route-Hunt-Oct-web-050.jpeg

Route-Hunt-Oct-web-072.jpeg

Do hope that Magic is not the horse for the hunting guy EAD. I am sending lots of do not buy vibes his way!!

When you have a riding school horse for lessons on a regular basis you do get very attached to them. Hearty was my :wub: school horse. He was a git with everyone else. But was a real honey for me. So guess it worked both ways!! :laugh: Cried when I couldn't ride anymore. I used to go to the stables just to get him saddled up for other people. Saved a lot of peoples feet/heads/hands that way!!! Cried buckets when he passed.

Yeah he was dressed rather casually as were others but there were a lot of people very smart too.

Clare yes that’s the guy trying him, don’t you think he looks too big for Magic :unsure:

Got a lesson tomorrow so keep all your fingers crossed hes there for me.

Greys mum I totally understand how you got attached, im far too attached for my own good :rolleyes:

Hope Milo continues to improve, im sure you’re best pleased with the chiros comments.

Jeanne would love to see pics of you and Max.

Blue and his bling :wub: and wow what big jumps Loki :ohmy: very impressive :wub:

I think he looks too big for him, hopefully he will decide on something bigger.

Have had to pull out of dressage this weekend, don't particularly want to leave Charlie for too long with him just having his op. I know my mind won't be on schooling him this week, so have emailed organiser and asked if she can transfer my entries to November instead. Fingers crossed she says yes. Feel a bit sorry for Blue as he hasn't had much attention this week, but I don't know what else I could have done.

Keeping everything crossed that Magic is there for your lesson today :flowers:

Looking forward to Max pics :biggrin:

Don't worry about Blue Gooster he'll be fine, Charlie needs his mum at the moment and thats just how it needs to be :GroupHug: :flowers:

Hope Milo is feeling better :flowers:

That's an interesting coloured bridle! :laugh:

Took milo for a hack yesterday and took him in the school today both just walking, he kept trying to break into trot, I think he was totally bored!

My plan is not to trot until Tuesday (that way he's had a whole week since the chiro visit) and then see how he goes, maybe do some short canter next weekend.

The riding club are doing an sj clinic ay my place on the 11th of December so will definitely be putting my name down for that :D

I went to see another horse today, 15hh mare, 15/16 years old, not been in work for a while and for loan.

Well what I found was a 15.3hh, well 15hh in the middle, well overweight horse; he now said she was 17, her teeth said she was in her twenties, she had shocking, shocking shocking feet and had been out of work for 5 years!!! She was incredibly upright in her back pasterns and very straight in the gaskin, it made her look as though she was walking on pegs not legs, a real candidate for arthritis and she was half trotter!

I said it would be a long road to get her back into work and he said she would be fine to crack straight on with!!!! I said what about getting her fit and some physio etc, I think he thought I was insane. The field was full of ragwort, they don't ever eat it you know and dangling barbed wire. Then he said why didn't I take her for a bit and see how I liked her, he conveniently ignored my comments about fitness! His next comment floored me big style, he had decided not to loan and wanted to sell her for £1200! :wacko:

She was not worth £50 to be honest but she was a dear sweet old mare and I so wanted to take her home and give her a nice rest of her life. :mecry: