UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

WELL, the vet thinks Milo is bilaterally lame and has Hock Spavins.

I told him the story, he made me trot him up and down a few times first. He started by checking out his hips/sacroiliac and stifle which were all fine.

He was crippled lame on the left hind with a flexion test (his bad one) and a bit lame on the right.

The vet said this was all typical of Hock Spavins and we have organised for Milo to be X-Rayed at 4pm tomorrow afternoon.

However - ive been doing some thinking - I know thats dangerous!! Surely if it were Spavins, the symptoms wouldve worsened over a period of time, rather than him being OK one day and broken the next?? Or maybe they were triggered by him carting/bucking around the fields when he arrived at the new yard? Any thoughts anyone? Or should I just be patient and wait for the x-ray results :rolleyes:

WELL, the vet thinks Milo is bilaterally lame and has Hock Spavins.

I told him the story, he made me trot him up and down a few times first. He started by checking out his hips/sacroiliac and stifle which were all fine.

He was crippled lame on the left hind with a flexion test (his bad one) and a bit lame on the right.

The vet said this was all typical of Hock Spavins and we have organised for Milo to be X-Rayed at 4pm tomorrow afternoon.

However - ive been doing some thinking - I know thats dangerous!! Surely if it were Spavins, the symptoms wouldve worsened over a period of time, rather than him being OK one day and broken the next?? Or maybe they were triggered by him carting/bucking around the fields when he arrived at the new yard? Any thoughts anyone? Or should I just be patient and wait for the x-ray results :rolleyes:

My old Mare had Hock trouble and used to be fine on firm ground but the minute the ground became in anyway soft.....as lame as a duck... I had to retire her in the end....

:GroupHug: for poorly horses, hope the xrays get to the bottom of Milo's problem and it can be treated.

I rode my favourite Billy today, doing some transitions and walk to canter, halt to canter (well almost) enjoyed the lesson although Billy wasn't very settled shaking his head a lot. I had some bad news about him too, his owners are taking him away from the stables. He will be in a field up the road, I don't think they can afford to keep him in livery any more. We are worried about Billy though as his owners are not very experienced and I don't imagine they will be able to ride him much 'cos they're at school. As he is still quite young I can see him becoming naughty and will they know how to cope with him?:sad02:

The vet has been and done 4 xrays on each Hock confirming that he has bone spavin in both. He is coming back next week to do nerve blocks just to absolutely confirm the source of lameness.

If he's right, milo will need injections followed by 48hrs box rest then a month with no riding. Then he will be assessed again before starting a month of walking then a month of trotting.

Joy!!

Aww no :( At least it has come over winter, when you might have been riding less anyway :flowers: (that's what I told myself when charlie did his cruciate ligament, at least it happened when I had no flyball planned).

The time will soon pass, am sure. Remember how I posted about a woman on my farm whose horse fell over in the field and he ruptured his flexor tendon? Well she is riding him again now, albiet only in walk for now, but he's much older than Milo, and as far as I know, a more serious problem than hock spavins :flowers:

As Gooster said at least its at the "best" time of year if you ever have to have an enforced rest. Lots of positive thoughts for Mr Milo :flowers:

I'm off to a dressage clinic tomorrow, its not until lunchtime I am having big debate with myself whether I am asking for trouble turning him out first :rolleyes: I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put him out ...... wait for the "agghh horses" post tomorrow :laugh:

The vet has been and done 4 xrays on each Hock confirming that he has bone spavin in both. He is coming back next week to do nerve blocks just to absolutely confirm the source of lameness.

If he's right, milo will need injections followed by 48hrs box rest then a month with no riding. Then he will be assessed again before starting a month of walking then a month of trotting.

Joy!!

Been there and done that with Wanda, also include her latest shot at being broken with arthritis in her front pasterns, cue steroids. The box rest and walk work were hard going but at the end of it all Wanda is great, completely sound and bonkers!

Milo will be fine, at least you have got to the bottom of it and it's totally treatable! Wanda is sending him a big hug and a cyber carrot!

Good luck tomorrow Clare! Hope he comes in with all 4 shoes on tomorrow :)

Just had a lesson on Blue. He was really good considering it was blowing a gale. We spent time working on his circles in canter, as he sometimes falls in on them. He was ace though. Really pleased with the little man!!

Potential driving ponies:

Fell mare, 13.2hh, done Pony Club and all child type activities, super safe on the road and a willing driving pony but 18 years old. Will only be £400 ish.

Welsh Section A, very pretty, done a bit of driving but can't (hopefully) be much as only 3 year old. Problem is he has testicles. Slightly batty owner is talking £200, I'm talking £50, I do know she justs wants rid. Will cost £150 to remove boy bits.

Which would you go for and why, I can't decide.

Potential driving ponies:

Fell mare, 13.2hh, done Pony Club and all child type activities, super safe on the road and a willing driving pony but 18 years old. Will only be £400 ish.

Welsh Section A, very pretty, done a bit of driving but can't (hopefully) be much as only 3 year old. Problem is he has testicles. Slightly batty owner is talking £200, I'm talking £50, I do know she justs wants rid. Will cost £150 to remove boy bits.

Which would you go for and why, I can't decide.

Not sure Id go for either if Im being honest...keep looking is my advice such as it is....sorry...

Edited by grace