UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Anyone here on top of market prices for little ponies, please?

There has been a sweet natured little, 11hh, Welsh Sec A type, pony mare living on a weed-ridden allotment near me for several years, although it occasionally gets turned out on tack. I happened to pass it this evening and noticed that, besides needing a hoof trim, she has quite nasty sunburn on the muzzle, and apart from still having some evidence of last year's winter coat and looking like a good worming would be in order, she is otherwise looking in reasonable condition. As I understand it, the owner's child has now lost interest in this pony, and I've been tipped off that the owner may be looking to sell her, and is looking for a reasonable offer. I am hopelessly out of touch now, but would like to do something to help this little mare out of her predicatment, and before she ends up going from bad to worse. (I.e. snapped up by a local dealer and run into the next auction or turned out with a questionable colt/stallion onto a coal tip to breed more market/knackerman's fodder.) What would constitute a 'reasonable offer', please, and according to current market value?

Around here unfortunately sections A's are ten a penny and at auction they go for silly money. :mecry: Under a year and they are around £30. Between 2-4 (unbacked) around £100 - £150. If backed but nothing been done recently I'd say anything between £200-£500 depending on breeding etc. Its hard to say as I expect the owners will want what they paid for her, and if she was a child's ridden pony then they will still expect her to go for the same money. :(

This is the side of horse ownership that disgusts me, how anyone can treat an animal like its the best thing since sliced bread then when they are bored just dump it. :mecry: :(

She wont go for anything like £500.

Its just another sec A of the many that people keep breeding. I would have thought that if you have to give them money £50 would be a fair amount and the threat of the RSPCA .

We took out two allotment ponies some time ago that were very ill. They lived in amongst twisted wire and the local youths broke in on a regular basis. Our RSPCA inspector was watching them too but couldnt get the people to sign them over. Now the law has changed he could which is a route worth considering.

These ponies got better from the day we took them because there was oil draining from a dump on the adjacent hill which caused them to have COPD. Once at Trallwm Farm the breathing improved and they are now childrens ponies in Glos. It was worth moving them just to see thier faces when they realised they could walk about and graze with our herd.

Good luck getting the little section A, poor baby sounds like she deserves a change of luck :mecry:

Wow Anne he looks stunning in that pic, and not a little full of attitude :wub: :laugh:

I was quite nervous about the clinic tomorrow, but now not sure to be more so, as they have had someone drop out and I now have a private lesson :biggrin: Gawd knows we need it :rolleyes:

Some good news - touch wood, the little mare should be coming to me over the weekend and I have first option to buy her, together with all tack, riding hat etc. Off in a minute to get some hydrocortizone cream for her blistered and scabby nose and some high factor sun screen, plus a wormer. (Any other advise welcomed for treating sunburn, as it's years since I had to deal with such on a pink skinned nose!)

I know something of the history of this little mare - she was bought as a two year old, and backed at that age, then used for a little girl on a leading rein. She is now six years old, is very quiet in traffic and, apparently, one reason the child has lost interest, is that the pony is too slow! She had a foal either last year or the year before, which she lost at birth, and after being kept with a yearling colt.

She is very like Bronnie to look at, but smaller. Perhaps a slightly darker shade of bay, and her blaze extends further into her muzzle, which has a fair bit of pink/unpigmented skin.

Bronnie still has a lot more growing to do, and her quarters aren't fair off 13 hh now. Indeed, she has changed out of all recognition, and I must get some updated photos of her. It will do her good to have a mature mare around, as she's become a very bossy little madam.

Whatever, the important thing is to get things moving now, and start getting her treated and into better condition. Perhaps it is just as well that the start of my chemo has had to be delayed due to me getting a cold and chest infection? :rolleyes:

Whatever, once in better condition, at least she should be suitable for my little grandson to start learning to ride on. So far, his only experience has been having been led around on Merlyn, and he's already keen and keeps asking when he'll be able to ride Bronnie. Another two years or so is a long time for a little one to have to wait, always assuming Bron will be suitable anyway - which I suspect she may not, as a first pony. Will keep you all posted...

Any other advise welcomed for treating sunburn, as it's years since I had to deal with such on a pink skinned nose!

I have had really good results with Gold Label Sun Block, Loki had a terribly burnt nose when I first got him, and even now if I don't put any on and the sun happens to come out for a bit it goes very scabby quickly, so rain or shine he goes out covered in it, and it actually stays put, other than the stuff he wipes on the other horses :rolleyes: It is also a soother as well as a block.

You can get a nose guard too, but I gave up with that as the other horses have great fun destroying fieldsafe headcollars :laugh:

Gold Label Sun Block

Keeping everything crossed she arrives soon :flowers:

I swear by Sudacrem for burn, and then once cleared up just use any kids factor 50 sun block. This year I've been using one I bought from Lidl, only £2.50 ish and it's absolutely brill, lasts longer and works better than the more expensive one's I've had previously!

Can't wait to see pictures. :wub: :wub:

Good Luck at the clinic Clare, I think a private lesson is just what you need. At least you can ask all the questions you need and the focus is entirely on you!!! :wink:

Thanks, girls. Will look into both of those suggestions if what I have bought this morning doesn't work or could be improved upon. Sun factor 50 for sensitve skins was on offer in Lloyd's chemists - BOGOF, this week, so got two large tubes of that, and the hydrocortizone cream, plus a wormer. :biggrin:

All being well, I'll have her sometime tomorrow, and will try and get some photos then for you, Jacky - or even this evening, when I go and feed my poultry down on my allotment. Last night she came trotting up to the gate of hers when I called her. (Must remember to take some carrots down tonight.)

I think of Bron as being little, but in comparison, this little mare seems tiny! Must get the measuring stick on Bron again. Hard to believe she's been with me for a year now. If it weren't for her head, she'd be quite showy now, and really points her toes when trotting around in the field and bossing Merlyn around. He is such a daft, soppy, avuncular old git around the little females, letting them get away with murder - and yet he really hates other geldings sharing his space. :rolleyes:

Regarding the fieldsafe headcollars, where is the velcro piece fitted, please? Does anyone have a photo showing this, please?

I can make a nose guard-cum-fly fringe, which could help prevent infection in those blisters.

Hi everyone

Not posted for ages, but have been reading!! :biggrin:

Good luck with that little pony - sounds like she needs a bit of TLC - I use the full face masks on both Rolo and Nemo to stop sunburn - work a treat - a bit pricey tho.

Hope the clinic went/goes well Clare (can't remeber if it is today or tomorrow! :rolleyes: )

If you get a sapre min, maybe you would like to have a quick look at the video I took of Rolo being schooled today. It is not great - it was a howling gale and a helicopter went overhead at one point, and he was much spookier than usual today, plus I can't work the editing software! :rolleyes: It has done it's own thign, but managed to incude the huge spook and him stopping to have a poo! :laugh: Steven Spielberg eat your heart out!

wow he looks great! haha that was a humungous spook he put in there!!

just back from a ride at stables where used to work - took one of the horses out who has been gradually coming back into work after problems with nerves in his back.....now he is normally hard to stop....

he was fine behind the other horse but then (silly me) decided i wanted to go in front for the canter - i moved along side the other horse and was trying to get in front when the both just went....my friend was on sunny who tanks but runs out of energy quickly.....my friend was shouting 'vicky can you stop?' i was like er does it look like it lol was using all strength to at least steady up a bit! wouldnt be so bad but he puts his head right down as well and so was just praying he didnt put a buck in as well! was fun thou :-0

was fun thou :-0

Think your definition of fun and mine may be slightly different! :biggrin:

Glad you enjoyed it tho!

If onyl I could work out how to do it, I have some fottage of Rolo workign really nicely today, but thre is an awful lot of camera wobble and shots of the sand when I didn't realise the camera was on! :rolleyes:

That spook was a good one - very unusual for him, but it just made Mel laugh! (Despite beign in the Barefoot!)

Hope Kanes feeling more himself :wink:

Clare how did the private lesson go?

Anne he is just fabulous :wub: what size is he :unsure:

Yeah piccies of Tinks as I have no idea what hes like.

PW I could doze off getting my eyebrows tweezed, is that similar to Wanda getting her mane pulled :biggrin:

Thats great news Al, cant wait to see piccies

Crikey Rolo that was a big spook :ohmy: he looks in great nick :wub:

phoenix that sounds like my worst nightmare but fun if you're confident enough.

Had another lesson yesterday and started off with 20 minute hack and then into the school working over different spaced poles at either end of school and diagonally across centre. Cantered again on the right leg this time but once in canter Trim thinks thats enough so I have to keep him going. I broke my left ankle years ago and dont have the same flexability so find it hard to keep my heel down on that leg :mad: Really busy this week coming so not sure if I can make it for a lesson :(

edited to say rode in a wintec suede saddle which I really liked.....very comfy.

Edited by EAD

Glad the lessons are going so well EAD. :flowers:

Jen I can't see video's!!! :( :(

Where's Clare? I NEED to know how the clinic went!!! :laugh:

Had a fab weekend, Kane is back to his former glory!! Think he must of picked up a bug or something, cos he looks great now, his coat is shiney again and he is full of himself!! Did some quick schooling on saturday and hacked him out yesterday (alone :biggrin: :biggrin: With no getting off...or napping!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: ), then rode him round the show and he watched his pal jumping!! Anyway at the show, I hadn't planned to enter him cos I really don't find showing that exciting..........so turned up around 1ish, and was immediately thrown Tia, who is a gorgeous Section A belonging to one of the other girls. She said please take her in the ring cos I've got to go and do Sjing now!!!! So theres me, dirty t-shirt, mucky jods and my ripped boots prancing round the ring!!!! :rolleyes: Tia was amazing and came 3rd......and now I'm completely hooked!! I want a little one to show, it was so much more fun that riding and they are SO much easier to control than a big fat mad cob!! :laugh: