UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Good luck for Sunday Jayne and what a good boy Blue!! :wub:

Duke had a little jumping session in the field on Saturday and someone else rode him for the first time ever (except the odd instructor). It was fabulous to be able to see him ridden and he absolutely loved the jumps (little cross-pole, nothing too exciting!). It was Duke at his best, ears pricked everything :wub: :wub: Such a treat for me to see. I put the one pole up so it was a straight bar and Duke went up a gear to suit :biggrin: I am nowhere near as brave as I used to be though!!!

Today a little hack round the tracks, went partially down the field that used to be our old gallop track (we're talking at least 2 years ago now). I thought we'd just trot as the ground wasn't great and I was worried about him tripping. Nope, Duke remembers fine and Dandy and goes into a flat out, brake failure gallop, only stopping when the track ran out right at the top of the hill. I laughed afterwards :rolleyes: That's me boy :wub: A good excuse for a fly repellent shampoo bath afterwards mind you, it was that warm he was fully dry within 10 minutes and didn't even feel the need to roll when turned back out. Poor Ted was sniffing and mooching along when we started to trot, he was ever so slightly panting when he finally caught up with us the other end of the hill :laugh: 25 years and as nuts as ever, not sure my dreams of taking him out for hacks in the forest etc. are ever going to come true, it would be just a jog fest, shame really but we would never change them would we.

Oooo, everyone is having fun and Miss Sicknote Wanda is still on walk work! Get blood results tomorrow and hopefully things should be ok! She has found something to spend her money on at last, Carl Hester Flexi Reins, they were a shocking £65 :wacko: but cheaper than a Thermatex Cooler which was her other choice. I gave her a bath yesterday, gawd she was mucky! Now she's all shiny and silky, I can't stop stroking her! :wub:

Remember Sheri's very late foal? I'll be posting some updated pics in about a week as he's changing his coat, what a surprise is underneath his silver dun baby coat! :)

Was about to recommend Fal Clare but then saw your post about the price! If they're tight then sew some silk scarves into the shoulders if you have any, or get some silk material from the market. A lot of fiddling but it really does help prevent the rug rubbing. Might have missed an earlier post so apologies if I have but does he really need a fly rug? I bought Duke one when they first came out but all it did was make him sweat. It didn't stay in place and he was just too hot under it. It was a Shires one I think. Been in the bag since then. They retreat to the shelter for hours when they're really pestered. The full face fly mask helped Squeak but he was spectacularly good at removing it!

You could get a fantastic winter rug for those prices and I know which I'd rather spend my money on :wink:

You have to spill about the baby's coat Pendlewitch. I'll guess Palamino or dark bay - totally random :laugh:

:GroupHug: Poor Wanda

Reds sounds like Duke is really really enjoying being back in work!!! :wub: :wub:

:partytime: My new saddle has arrived!!!!!!!! Can't wait to get to the yard tonight, it's quiet apparent the difference between my copy and the original Barefoot!!! I really hope he likes it, can't imagine he won't as he goes perfectly in the other one!! Can't decide if to hack or school in it first....maybe schooling will be safer?

Good luck for Sunday Gooster, look forward to some pics :biggrin:

Fingers crossed for Wanda's blood test results :flowers: I have started riding Loki in Flexi reins and really like them, I took them off for the clinic and was suprised that the nice feeling continued even back in normal reins. Will be interested to see what you think of them.

Intrigued to see what colour Sheri's baby is now :)

Aww Duke you are certainly enjoying being back in work :wub: and I think your mum is too :biggrin: At least if he decided to do it again you know he will stop at the end so you can enjoy it more :laugh:

Yes sadly Loki does need a fly rug, I would much prefer him out without, but he comes in covered in blood all along his underneath where the horrible things eat him, and then he chews himself :(

My friend lent me her old Masta and it seems to be doing the trick, no bites and no rubs so far, so fingers crossed!

Happy riding in the new saddle Jacky, it looked lovely in the pic, really comfortable, look forward to hearing how you get on over the weekend, I am sure Kane will love it :)

We have a sj clinic tomorrow at home, so really looking forward to that. RI has asked to use my blue tarpalin (sp?) as a water jump :unsure:

Talking of foal colours, what colour do we think a foal will end up if it is a funny dun colour with pale legs in it's foal coat, where it is coming off he looks very dark/black, but I don't know how that will work with the very pale legs (not distinct socks, just very pale legs). I'll try and get a photo of him later on - this is the foal I really like and might decide to buy off my yard owner when he is old enough to wean :wub:

:GroupHug: Another new baby??? That's not fair I've not even had my first yet (although the idea of getting a section a to show is getting more and more appealing!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: ). Sorry no clue with colours...I called a bay mare a chestnut last night so I'm clueless!!! :laugh:

Just a tiny bit of advise from you guys? I met on the lane last night a lady who used to keep her horse on our fields (when I had fields :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: ), anyway she's asked if I'd like to bring Kane over for a couple of weeks as her mare is alone and she's struggling to keep the grass in her field down. I know Kane gets on with Minstral very well so I'm not worried about that, but do you think it's too soon to move him again? I will only do it for 2 weeks as I love the place I'm at but the field is literally 5 minutes walk from my house so I'm likeing the idea of having him near me for a bit? Do you think it's would upset him too much though as he's settled so well at the yard? :unsure:

:GroupHug: Another new baby??? That's not fair I've not even had my first yet (although the idea of getting a section a to show is getting more and more appealing!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: ). Sorry no clue with colours...I called a bay mare a chestnut last night so I'm clueless!!! :laugh:

Just a tiny bit of advise from you guys? I met on the lane last night a lady who used to keep her horse on our fields (when I had fields :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: ), anyway she's asked if I'd like to bring Kane over for a couple of weeks as her mare is alone and she's struggling to keep the grass in her field down. I know Kane gets on with Minstral very well so I'm not worried about that, but do you think it's too soon to move him again? I will only do it for 2 weeks as I love the place I'm at but the field is literally 5 minutes walk from my house so I'm likeing the idea of having him near me for a bit? Do you think it's would upset him too much though as he's settled so well at the yard? :unsure:

Sorry - only get time to dip in briefly at work at the mo - greas to read the news - just no time to comment on it all - sorry! Am on leave for the next 2 weeks, so things will be particularly manic today!

The main thing athat occured to me is that it doesn't seem particularly fair on the mare to give her a friend for a couple of weeks then take him away again - but that is probably me putting human emotions in to a horse :)

If Kane is settled and happy where he is, I think I would be tempted to let sleeping dogs lie :) - maybe your friend can get some electric fence and strip graze?

Unfortunately she keeps jumping out of the electric bit cos there is more grass on the other side and in the field opposite 2 little shetlands she obviously wants to be near. :( She is in foal so that's the reason Joyce doesn't want to take on a companion full time as once foal is born there won't be enough grass for 3 horses. Unfortunately Joyce has been let down quiet alot by people who've shared her field before and she now only wants someone she trusts (I'm Minstral's God-Mum and Joyce has willed her to me if anything happens to her). Poor Minstral is used to having other horses come and go :mecry: , I'm more concerned about Kane as he's quiet a sensitive soul! :laugh: :rolleyes:

Could she ring round the farmers to 'borrow' some sheep for a week or so? That always stripped mine :mad: :laugh:

Probably wouldn't make much difference to Kane for a couple of weeks (not that I really know!) but not sure it would have a huge effect on the grass. Would definitely go with sheep or cows if she wants to really keep it down at the mo.

A nice problem to have mind!