UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I really MUST have a clear out of surplus horsy things around here! Put a Thorogood saddle and some new headcollars into the TRPD Swap Shop last night, and nearly added my old mare's elasticated, leather atherston girth too, but then thought perhaps I might need that one day for Bronnie, who is rapidly turning into a little tank! :laugh:

Edited by AlTRPD

Spirit004-1.jpg

Spirit005.jpg

Heres one we did earlier.

These little feral Arabs are now at a point where they need thier own loving homes and I try not to put out unbacked horses so in 3 sessions we got Spirit round to the idea that life can be fun with us.

1st lesson was walking properly on a rope and choosing to follow me especially round things that might be scary to anyone else.

2nd was tack and rug plus being touched by a rope all over and understanding Im head of her herd

3rd was walking with me down the road and for the 1st time ever being without another horse as Im head of herd and

then Katie laid across her with Spirit looking back at her untill she licked and chewd to say she was happy with it and then Katie sat up and Spirit was done.

Edited by Trallwm farm

Tuna has arrived (8.30 tonight Bless her!).

She is an angel, she is bold, brave and beautiful and I am over the moon! She will be presented for her grading on Tuesday and hopefully approved for breeding. She is just absolutely gorgeous.

She was bred here:

Yeguada Aimaran

Her daddy is Olimpico XVI.

I am completely besotted and utterly over the moon, I have achieved my dream of my own Spanish stud.

Spirit is gorgeous - hope he finds a lovely home - if she had been with you this time last year, I would have been sorely tempted :) But then, I would not have found my little elephant :)

Glad Tuna has arrived safe and sound and that you are pleased with her. :)

Also glad that you are getting more confident with Kane Jacky - Nemo used to be terrible with some other horses - very often I would have to ride with my main aim being to try and control his back end :laugh: He would try to sneakily manouvre himself to within kicking range! he absolutely loathed a really sweet quarter horse gelding - to the paoint that we could not hack out together - Nemo was such a nightmare that the ride was always awful! :laugh:

Spirit004-1.jpg

Spirit005.jpg

Heres one we did earlier.

These little feral Arabs are now at a point where they need thier own loving homes and I try not to put out unbacked horses so in 3 sessions we got Spirit round to the idea that life can be fun with us.

1st lesson was walking properly on a rope and choosing to follow me especially round things that might be scary to anyone else.

2nd was tack and rug plus being touched by a rope all over and understanding Im head of her herd

3rd was walking with me down the road and for the 1st time ever being without another horse as Im head of herd and

then Katie laid across her with Spirit looking back at her untill she licked and chewd to say she was happy with it and then Katie sat up and Spirit was done.

Great, I'm just sticking a stamp on Thug's bum, ready to pop him in the post for you to do for me :D

The above would be great but he's positive he's part Labrador, he paws you (which flipping hurts) and he doesn't jump, he climbs :wacko:

I've watched him bellyflop under the field bars before we figured it out :unsure:

Great, I'm just sticking a stamp on Thug's bum, ready to pop him in the post for you to do for me :D

The above would be great but he's positive he's part Labrador, he paws you (which flipping hurts) and he doesn't jump, he climbs :wacko:

I've watched him bellyflop under the field bars before we figured it out :unsure:

What is he exactly because it sounds like lack of skills rather a deliberate attempt not to understand

Good luck with Tuna!! She sounds like a star.

Spirit is just stunning!! What amazing work you've done in such a short time. I'm a real arab fan, don't think I'll ever have one but I've yet to meet one I didn't like the character of. :wub: :wub: I keep racking my brain for homes for your horses Lesley. When I win the lottery I'll be heading your way!! :wink:

Had new farriers over today, not too sure! The older of the 2 is alovely bloke and the best farrier on the island but his parnter who is taking over the business soon I'm not too sure about! Kane's feet have been done beautifully but I don't want the other bloke to do them! Plus they are £5 more than the last one we had! Is it wrong to keep trying farriers until we find one we like? :unsure: Lynn doesn't want us to get a bad name but I said I think we're entitled to try before we commit, I mean we are paying them after all and our horses hooves are important!

I was once shown a simple and humane way to cure a horse that kicks out at other horses when being ridden or that bucks. It works, too, although I've only used it on the really serious, and supposedly incurable cases.

Firstly, one needs to ensure that it's not caused by an ill-fitting saddle or back problem, but genuine bad behaviour or, perhaps, over-excitment. The latter was the case with one pony I recall well. He was a super little, chunky gelding of about 13.2hh. A bit of a character who, as soon as his hooves touched grass, wanted to leap forward and fly-buck into a gallop, frequently taking his young rider by surprise and depositing her on the ground. The more he was held back, the more he bucked and fought to get his head, and yet he had a good mouth. He was a danger to himself, his rider and others in his company. However, in a school environment, the pony performed well. The problems only arose when out hacking off-road. His rider had lost confidence and yet the parents felt they couldn't sell him on with a clear conscience, even to a more experienced rider.

I was a lot lighter back in those days, and agreed to have him and see if I could cure him. I half expected the pony not to attempt his tricks with me, as I was certainly heavier than his usual rider, but was mistaken! Airs above the ground were perhaps his forte, and were he of the Baroque breeds, his talents for performing the capriole and courbette might well have been appreciated but... :rolleyes:

Whatever, the cure commenced with the addition of a headcollar with lead rope under his bridle and an old stirrup leather fastened around his neck like a neckstrap. The end of the lead rope was passed under this neck-strap and between his front legs. His tail was braided in a similar manner to that of a polo pony's, but leaving a loop of hair at the end sufficient to allow a lead rope to be attached to using a quick release knot. The rope wasn't especially tight, and the pony barely aware that it was there in normal circumstances, but of a length that would not allow the pony to get a leg over it. Indeed, it would only come into play in the event of him attempting to explode! He did - but only ONCE! One could almost see the cogs turning in his brain as he rather smartly curtailed his exhuberant action almost as soon as he started! In normal circumstances, that pony had a very good outline and head carriage, which he immdeiately resumed. After a few minutes of deliberation, he poked his nose forward, as if to test the waters (or rather the tug of the rope on his tail) but again resumed his correct outline promptly. After several more minutes, he tried poking his nose out yet again, and with the same result. By this time we were well along the sort of grassy track where he would normally charge along leaping, bucking and cavorting. I asked for, and got, a sedate and sensible canter. When behaving, he was a really super, intelligent and enjoyable ride.

I hacked that pony out using the rope for about three weeks before removing it, but he never attempted his airs above the ground again, either with me or his usual child rider. He went on to a very successful pony club career that included taking part and doing well show jumping & hunter trials. He had masses of ability but his potential would probably never have been realised had he not once tweaked his own tail at a critical moment. Indeed, so serious was his behaviour, that his owners felt he might have to be put down or loaned as a companion only not ridden.

Whatever, the cure commenced with the addition of a headcollar with lead rope under his bridle and an old stirrup leather fastened around his neck like a neckstrap. The end of the lead rope was passed under this neck-strap and between his front legs. His tail was braided in a similar manner to that of a polo pony's, but leaving a loop of hair at the end sufficient to allow a lead rope to be attached to using a quick release knot. The rope wasn't especially tight, and the pony barely aware that it was there in normal circumstances, but of a length that would not allow the pony to get a leg over it. Indeed, it would only come into play in the event of him attempting to explode!

This is similar to a technique we used at an equine therapy yard I used to work at, we used it when lunging horses that had problems with their back, the actual problem was solved by a chiro/osteo type person, then we were given the job of sorting out the muscle wastage/weakness, when applied properly it is about the only way to achieve the correct arch through the back in a horse who has never been taught it - we only did it a couple of times before moving on to the pessoa, side reins etc, it was just enough to teach the horse the connection between it's front and back end!!! Although we did get very funny looks if anyone walked past and saw us lunging like that!!!

Some updated photos of Bronnie and nearly 5 weeks after her arrival. She is a character, and seems to have improved a lot since she came.

You will probably see why I began to think she could be in foal, and not just a case of her being a greedy little madam. ;) Just look at her tummy! :rolleyes: Doesmybumlookbig.jpg

These pics show her out for a walk with Merlyn (ridden by my son's partner, Lynne) and Sarah today...

Stonyground.jpg Steeperthanitlooks.jpg Timeforabreather.jpg Herhairmatchesmine.jpg BronnieandSarah.jpg

And just to prove that Merlyn can behave sometimes... SeehowgoodIam.jpg Myfriendisoverthere.jpg