UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

:wub: :wub: those foals are so gorgeous and how amazing that they both lived. Usually vets pinch out one if it is known that the mare is carrying twins and if they are carried one usually dies.Fingers and toes firmly crossed that they both grow well and stay healthy. x

There was some reason for her not to pinch the egg, maybe cos they had tried for about 3 months to get both mares pregnant and none of them took! When scanned second time she did say there was a slight risk she was carrying twins (some times one egg will just sort of disappear), but it was not 100% clear from the scan, so we were prepared for the possibility. She was very big the last big indeed.

The vet says it is usually the bigger foal that is actually most in danger once born, as he will have been "pulling his weight" more in the woom (can't spell that word) for both their circulation systems etc.

Boss just phoned me, and Kalypso hasn't got enough milk for both, so everyday when they have drank all they can from her, they will be bottle fed extra, and have done so tonight with no problems.

I have to go up there later tonight and help get them out walking a bit on the stable aisle.

Hello all, only just got internet back on after moving.

Riding update..... we started riding at the German yard and it was good...........but I decided that I would miss the people at the stables on camp and it is easier for us to get to, and now we live on camp, the kids can cycle there. I was concerned that if we stopped riding there the kids wouldn't be able to go up to help out. We have a little club dressage show on Sunday and I am entered in the adult walk trot.

On Saturday I am going with Lauren to watch cross country at the World Equestrian festival in Aachen CHIOAachen I will make sure the camera is fully charged and photos are taken.

Oh I just love the tiny foal - he is very sweet, bless him :wub: Not at all suprised that Mum needs a bit of help :)

Good luck on Sunday Angel - and I am very envious of you going to Aachen - just hope the eather is kinder to you than it was to us at Hickstead last weekend :)

I had such a good lesson tonight - chucking it down, but I have not ridden him for a week now, so bit the bullet and braved the rain ( my poor saddle :laugh: ). He trotted over poles for the first time ever (have walked over them a couple of times)and was fantastic, then we did weaving using just my wieght (well in theory :laugh: In practice it was more reins and not much weight), but he was superb - so flexible and so responsive - my friend made me trot through them trying to get as close to the blocks without touching them - something Nemo was rubbish at as he was so stiff, but Rolo found it easy :) (Not sure that I did mind you!)

Then, my friend told me to take an enormous leap of faith and push him on when we were trotting. My God :ohmy: I sqwawked - he has got the most powerful trot - :laugh: I have never experienced it before - he really did shift up a gear! All my friend kept saying was "My God, he looks fantastic" - all I kept saying was "flippin heck, this is a bit scarey!!" :laugh: Apparently he was in a perfect outline and in complete self carriage - all wasted on me as I was tryign to come to terms with the power under neath me!!

It really was atrocious out in the school tonight - tipping down an blowing a gale - as it is over a week since he was ridden, i was fully expecting him to be a bit silly, but he did not put a foot wrong.

I count myself very lucky to have found such a genuine little chap :wub:

yes hopefully!

I went up there last night to help get the babies out and walking a bit, and then the mum took ill. Vet thought i came from her wom, and gave her painkillers and some penicillin, in case it is the start of an infection. She was much happier after that, and hopefully she is still feeling good this morning. My poor boss, she has hardly had any sleep since 3 nights ago :tired:

Well done Jen!!! :flowers: :flowers: We've been promised good weather on saturday so I'm hoping to go out then!! Bought Kane in last night and did some 'training' with him in the stable. We are now able to move back on voice which is quiet something considering 2 weeks ago I could barely lead him without him pulling me over!! I then took him up the yard to the sheep area, which is hard standing and has lots of tractors and scarey stuff! I didn't really have hold of the rope and he followed me like a lamb...then trotted on voice command! :biggrin: I managed to get him to trot, stop and turn round just by my body movements!! I'm in love with Kelly Marks!!!!!!!! He had a massive spook as we passed the caravan site because someone banged something, and before he would of just been off but he jumped and actually moved himself closer to me as if to take protection from me! It's exactly what I wanted from him, for him to see me as his guaradian and not a wimp!!

This all stems from the reading I had for him, the only line that really stung me was where she said that :

'Your body language is wrong to do this, it is the opposite of the other woman, you are either scared or cuddle him. He cannot cope with this as he needs to be able to rely on you and you appear to rely on him at times. He wants to know that you can move him about like a mare would and that he can trust you to be his leader in a calm and quiet way, like horses do.'

Hope mum is okay this morning Anne. :GroupHug:

:wub: at the twins. Hope that they both thrive and that mum is feeling better today.

well done Bradders and Rolo for being stars in the pouring rain and for looking stunning for your instructor. I am meeting my instructor today as she is riding Dexter.

Good boys Rolo and Kane :biggrin:

Continued good thoughts for the babies and mum :flowers: :GroupHug:

We seem to have got rid of the rain and gained gales :wacko: Although a good forecast for the weekend :biggrin:

Canter has progressed from really awful to just awful :rolleyes: He has now taken a dislike to the poles stacked at the side of the school, in canter he gets upside and then shoots off for a couple of strides, unfortuantly that means we shoot out of the dressage arena. I also have to do my free walk past them, dressage is silly and I don't want to play :angry: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck at the dressage Angel. Look forward to the Aachen pictures :)

Has anyone been watching the new Horse and Countryside TV channel on Sky, it is quite good, but lots of repeats.

Has anyone been watching the new Horse and Countryside TV channel on Sky, it is quite good, but lots of repeats.

Yeah I've had it on alot, I love watching the jumping at the Royal Show and the Parelli stuff is fasinating! I've always been abit against it because I thought it was all tricks etc, but been fairly impressed. Did look at the demo they are doing in August at the NEC £95 a ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: Think I'll stick to the telly!!

mum is not well. She possibly has the beginning of an infection, and as it hurts to wee, she decides not to which then causes her lots of pain as her bladder fills up. She is on penicillin and pain relief and was resting with her two boys when I left. Later we will take them out for a walk, either outdoors if the weather is nice, or in the sandschool like we did this morning. We could not help laughing at the little one, he has got some spirit in him, trying to follow his mum around. He can trot! We never thought those bent crooked legs could do much of anything :laugh: but all of a sudden his feet decide to cross and he falls over, and has a little cuddle from me until he is ready to try again.

They are both strong eaters, and when mum was really poorly we had a nightmare trying to keep them away from her tits (she was kicking out in pain), boss had gone to make milk for them, I was doing my best to keep mum standing and both boys safe, but they ran on each side of her, so in the end I picked the little one up and used him to block the way for the other :laugh: :rolleyes: :wub: I will definitely never experience anything like this again!!

Bradders :ohmy: you are forthwith expelled from the Nervous Nellies club, as is Jackysian! I am now the only member.

:rolleyes: I don't think so!!! You should have heard me squeaking as we motored along :biggrin:

Voice and body language are such underrated aids Jacky - I use them a lot - One of my first experiences when I started riding was to get double barrelled in the field as I went to collect my horse - I was very lucky not have been killed - the second kick was about and inch away from my skull!! As a consequence my friend Sarah gave me some lessons on basic body language!! :rolleyes: She also uses it a lot on the lunge so has tried to teach me to do the same - it is incredible - Rolo relaxes as soon as I do! So glad that you and Kane are makign such good progress - my relationship with Rolo came on in leaps and bounds during our lack of saddle days! Your lump days seem to be having a similar effect! :biggrin:

Glad that Loki is keeping you on your toes Clare - it is meant to be sunny on Sunday so hopefully he will chill out - think this horrible weather is unsettling them all. Even Nemo has taken to hiding in the field shelter of an evening.

How did it go with the farrier?

Twins souns like they are doing really well Ann, but I feel so sorry for the mare, bless her - she must be so uncomfortable - and with 2 babies to cope with too. Hope the penicillin kicks in soon. I am a martyr to my bladder :rolleyes: and find that cranberry helps - not sure if horses can consume it tho?

Edited by Bradders