UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

ooo Hickstead....have fun!! i'll be watching it on tele :biggrin:

Had a riding lesson today on Solo (who came 4th in his class at the Royal Highland Show last weekend - not bad for a 6yr old dopey heavy colored cob :rolleyes: ) They are off next weekend to some national show down south (i think CHAPS - not sure) he was really good in the lesson, went nicely in an outline until he got tired at the end and leaned lots.....did work without stirrups sitting and rising trot and cantering - I expected to be boinged out of the saddle as solo is really bouncy but wasnt too bad - legs killed after thou :rolleyes:

Hope kane gets better soon - lots of healing thoughts for him :GroupHug:

Edited by phoenix21

Splints aren't the end of the world :) , most of the horses on our yard seem to have them in one guise or another.

Hope he is feeling OK

I am off to Hickstead tomorrow - friend got free tickets. :) Think we are going to get soaked!!

I am too, I'd look for you and wave :biggrin: but i don't know what you look like :unsure: :D

:laugh:

:laugh:

Have a nice day at Hickstead you two, hope the weather clears :) If not you'll just have to stay in the shops :ph34r_anim:

It is a year today the horse formally known as Splat wondered off the horsebox and into my world. Going to do a gotcha day thread for him now :biggrin:

That horse did seem to be havign a great time!! :biggrin:

Hickstead ws good, but it tipped down all day - we spent the beginning then the end of our day there at one of the side arena - ground looked OK when we got there but it was like a ploughed field iin front of most of the jumps by the time we left. Not one person went clear while we were watching - think everyone was just fed up. I am not sure that I would jump my horse on such a waterlogged surface. The main arena seesm to have stood up to the onslaught remarkably well, so hopefully it will be OK for the televised bits tomorrow.

I was reasonably restrained on the shopping front - bought a flymask for Rolo and a lovely waterproof jacket for me - it has stood up to several downpours this evening without a problem!!

Gosh - a year Clare - feels like you have been together for ever! :biggrin:

I've recorded loads of Hickstead and not had a chance to watch much of it yet but the bit I saw the ground was awful, I would not want to jump on that!

Went to the dressage yesterday and witnessed 'working in area rage', two people who I've seen there before and are always really nice and a stranger on a very posh young horse. They had a bit of a run in mainly because the two regulars were walking round the working in on the outside track in walk and side by side! Posh horses crew had a 'word' fairly politely and one of the other riders kicked off big style! Ranting about no-one bothers about that sort of thing and your horse keeps changing the rein! :wacko: Things did get a bit heated and at one point I had ask one of the crew to stop swearing which he apologised for and did stop. The regulars seemed to want others to take sides and of course we refused to do so because he was right! People do (or should) know the rules of working in areas and should stick to them, otherwise accidents will happen.

On a better note, Wanda was 3rd in the P18 with 60% and 2nd in P12 with 64.8%! :biggrin: She has now qualified for the championship three times and I can't go as I'm at work! Bugger! :angry:

WTG Wanda!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Managed to get up to see a tiny bit of the eventing yesterday, but the ground was just so bad alot of them were pulling out so I gave up and went and played with the foals instead!

Thanks for the advise on the splint, its made me feel better! Been cold hosing it and putting tea-tree oil on it to try and reduce the swelling, it's really worked! It's already pretty hard and he doesn't appear to feel any pain from it! Just hoping I can ride him next weekend! :unsure: My friend has told me to try some cabbage leaves and a tight bandage!! Strange but worth a try! These old wives tales sometimes work!! :wacko:

be careful with tight bandages as they cut the bloodstream and he can end up with all sorts of other injuries from that. If he is healing fine with what you are doing now, I'd stick to that. If the splint is on the inside of his leg, you may want to consider using boots on him if there is any risk he may hit it with the opposite leg while trotting/cantering as that would just aggravate it to grow larger.

Yeah I was thinking that :unsure: , but thought I might just put some vet-wrap round it? It's on the outside of the back leg but have looked at splint boots anyway, he does wear front boots while hacking but I think I'll get some back one's now because he's got a weakness. Blummin animals, no wonder I've got no money!!! :angry:

if it's on the outside I would not worry too much. My pony had one from a kick when he was about 5, and he never suffered any side effects. Back in those days you couldn't even get FRONT boots small enough for his size :laugh: (that's how old I am :huh: )He is stil alive and well and has never been bothered by that splint ever.

Reading one of my very old horse books (I've got a fantastic collection of really old ones!) and one of them was so shocking, it just said that a splint was a deformity and because it would be marked down in showing then euthanesia was advised!!! :ohmy: :mad: But this was the same book that advised women riders to always have a long skirt in their kit so they could change the moment they had stopped riding!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: