UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Snoopy Might Not Make It

susieq

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just giving Snoopy a break from cuddles and find all these messages of support. You really are very kind.

I didn’t know anything about fungal infection before this but apparently it can be extremely difficult to diagnose. He had a lot of tests for it earlier in the year and all the results came back negative.

He could have been transferred to another practice but I was told that they would probably only look in on him every hour or so. If he goes into continuous seizures again I have about twenty minutes to get him to a vet so I wanted him at home where I could watch him all night. The emergency vet has been notified that I may need them in the night and I’ve got tablet valium as a standby.

Yes it is Aspergillosis. I opted for tablet treatment first as the surgical procedure is so invasive. From what I can gather there’s not been a lot of change in the treatment of it over the years.

There has been a very slight improvement a few minutes ago, he pulled himself up onto his elbows, lifted his head, opened his eyes fully and had a little look around. Up until now he’s not been able to open his eyes at all. There was no recognition there, he still looked spaced out and he’s gone back to sleep now. Like I said, very slight.

I've just got back from the vets with him and she's absolutely amazed at his improvement. She said she really expected him to still be in the near comatose state he was in yesterday or pts during the night.

By this morning he was holding his head up, ate some breakfast and was looking around more but still could not stand. The vet looked at him in the back of my van to save hauling him around but when I got home I lifted him out of the van and he wanted to stagger to the front door himself. I lifted him over the step and he went through the lounge, into the kitchen and lay down. THEN, I spoke to him and the last inch of his tail wagged. I was in floods. I knelt down to give him a hug and he gave me some big licks. More floods. THEN he got up all on his own, took himself outside in the garden and had three wees and a poo. It took him ages because he couldn't balance very well but he managed it. I can tell the way he's looking at me that he knows who I am now and he's been wagging his tail more. He's still very slow and wobbly but I'm hoping that his responses in the last hour mean that he's got no brain damage.

I'll be keeping an eye on his temperature all day as it's likely that it caused the seizures but I'm still worried that now that he's had some he'll be more susceptible to more. Whatever it was that made his temperature soar yesterday did so in a very short time. I wish I could find out the reason.

I can't put into words how I feel right now. To see that light coming back into his eyes and wagging his tail when I speak to him. More floods!! I really wasn’t sure I'd still have him today.

I posted Snoopy’s situation on a few forums as I wanted as many healing thoughts as possible and I’m overwhelmed by everyones kind words and support. I live on my own and sometimes things like this are hard to cope with alone. I didn’t feel alone last night, I read the messages all through the night (it was a very long night!!)

Thank you once again. I’ll let you know how he goes.

Sue