UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

OK, will keep my eyes open here and cross post when there is a plan.

Mollydog and I will try to come if we possibly can: difficult when it is so hot, but it does seem like a good idea to try to use the fuss before it dies down.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are various emails making their rounds between various groups already about setting up one event committee and to plan a mass march in London from what I understand and as Abigail said, a all breed march.

Snatch and I are more than happy to walk alongside everyone else.

Cindy

Apparently the guy has received death threats and is now afraid for his own safety *sighs* that kinda response is not going to help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/5189956.stm

Nor however are the tactless remarks of his "spokesman"

Speaking from Mr Smith's home, the family friend said: "It's been recognised that he's not doing anything illegal, so what does it matter if it's 1,000 or 10,000?

"He's had death threats, and the undue attention of photographers invading his privacy. It's madness, blown out of all proportion.

I wholeheartedly support an all breeds all groups response to this, we do not want the NGRC to succeed with it's smoke and mirrors campaign to pass this off either as a "one bad apple" situation or to imply that this is just a bunch of bleeding hearts over reacting.

Cool heads are what's needed now.

This email has been send to a vast majority of rescues across the UK (breed, all breed and greyhound specific ones) and I thought I copy it here for anyone who wants to pledge support:

By now I am sure you are all aware of the expose in The Times of the greyhound executioner. At last someone has exposed what all knew was happening yet was continually denied by the industry.

The story has been picked up worldwide, and now, more than ever, we have an opportunity to influence the legislation. A decision has still not been made on independant regulation of greyhound racing, we now have the evidence to prove self regulation does not work.

Various greyhound and all-breed rescues are planning a march in London. The idea is to march under a general banner such as Stop the Slaughter - say to the government here is the problem now sort it - whether that be a ban (unlikely) or independant regulation. I am well aware of the politics of greyhound welfare but if we march under a genral banner then whether you are an abolitionist or independant regulator it doesn't matter. Each group can still proudly wear their t-shirts etc but we will all be marching for a common goal - to stop the slaughter of these beautiful, innocent hounds.

Date and route is being discussed but it will be soon - the public are with us on this one and it is their support we need to swell the numbers and get maximum coverage. The idea is anyone can bring any dog but perhaps have the greyhounds leading the march. A simple gesture will be decided upon - somthing like bringing a single white flower to lay for each greyhound murdered by the industry.

To make this work we need your support. We need the rescues to mobilise their supporters and attend in a formal capacity and advertise it locally. Hopefully The Times will provide us with publicity before the march to get the general public involved. We need to prove to the government that what is happening is unacceptable to ALL animal lovers, not just the "crackpot greyhound welfare extremists" the industry would have us believe we are!!

If you are prepared to stand up and be counted then please let me know a.s.a.p. We are hoping to set up a small organisational committee.

Can you also please forward this email to any of your rescue contacts.

Many thanks

Vanessa Waddon

Hope Rescue

029 20 850947

07870 455810

Cindy :)

This email has been send to a vast majority of rescues across the UK (breed, all breed and greyhound specific ones) and I thought I copy it here for anyone who wants to pledge support:

By now I am sure you are all aware of the expose in The Times of the greyhound executioner. At last someone has exposed what all knew was happening yet was continually denied by the industry.

The story has been picked up worldwide, and now, more than ever, we have an opportunity to influence the legislation. A decision has still not been made on independant regulation of greyhound racing, we now have the evidence to prove self regulation does not work.

Various greyhound and all-breed rescues are planning a march in London. The idea is to march under a general banner such as Stop the Slaughter - say to the government here is the problem now sort it - whether that be a ban (unlikely) or independant regulation. I am well aware of the politics of greyhound welfare but if we march under a genral banner then whether you are an abolitionist or independant regulator it doesn't matter. Each group can still proudly wear their t-shirts etc but we will all be marching for a common goal - to stop the slaughter of these beautiful, innocent hounds.

Date and route is being discussed but it will be soon - the public are with us on this one and it is their support we need to swell the numbers and get maximum coverage. The idea is anyone can bring any dog but perhaps have the greyhounds leading the march. A simple gesture will be decided upon - somthing like bringing a single white flower to lay for each greyhound murdered by the industry.

To make this work we need your support. We need the rescues to mobilise their supporters and attend in a formal capacity and advertise it locally. Hopefully The Times will provide us with publicity before the march to get the general public involved. We need to prove to the government that what is happening is unacceptable to ALL animal lovers, not just the "crackpot greyhound welfare extremists" the industry would have us believe we are!!

If you are prepared to stand up and be counted then please let me know a.s.a.p. We are hoping to set up a small organisational committee.

Can you also please forward this email to any of your rescue contacts.

Many thanks

Vanessa Waddon

Hope Rescue

029 20 850947

07870 455810

Cindy :)

Well done for posting this Cindy...

Mods: Although as yet a date is undecided, does this deserve a thread of it's own maybe, perhaps under 'Stop the Slaughter' march?

We need to work together on this one folks and ALL be there for the sake of the greyhounds, under whatever banner/t-shirt/political belief (or burden) we care to wear or carry.

The NGRC registers approximately 10,000 – 11,000 greyhounds annually for racing at NGRC licensed racecourses. In January 2006, a survey showed that 4,919 retired greyhounds were resident at trainers’ kennels. A large number of greyhounds are retired as pets and taken home by their owners. Approximately 3,500 are found suitable homes by the Retired Greyhound Trust, which is a charity that receives funding by the NGRC licensed sector of the sport; and a number of greyhounds are homed through other re-homing centres. There are more greyhounds re-homed but we do not have accurate statistics.

Oh they are so good at juggling figures.

Yes, they REGISTER 10,000 to 11,000 dogs a year, but up to 40,000 are bred so they can have the pick of the crop.

Lets's not forget the shortfall of 30,000 dogs here :(

Don't know if I am being ignorant here but what about rescuers like Houndsaver,Claz etc contact the journalists and give them the facts from their point of view.

Show them how many they have saved and the state that some of them come to rescue in.

They are the people who really know what goes on, who raise the money,do the transport,foster, take care of and find new loving homes for these beautiful dogs.

The rgt and those sort do not come anywhere need the true rescuers. Money for article in sun(Ray reads it) is being donated to rgt and they are asking people who want to donate to send the money to rgt.

Surely if a couple of the rescues of Greys contact the journo's and give the true picture and it is published, the money will go where is is truly needed and will help the most.

I would willingly contact journ o's and point them in the right direction.