UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Life, The Universe & Everything Else

Yantan

Nice to see you Jayne :wave4: We started with 1 cat and ended up with 7 so you have a way to go to catch up LOL!

Tis cold and frosty here today which is nice. Archie has been out with the DW this morning. He's going again tomorrow as otherwise he would have missed seeing his friends this week as the DWs finish on Wednesday for 2 weeks so I am doing the Thurs and Fri walking as well as our usual Wednesday.

I was rather cross with a dog walker earlier..I took Candy down to our local playing field, just up the road. I'd just let her offlead when I heard a woman shouting and saw a young lab tearing down from the nearby field, he nearly flattened me and scared the living daylights out of Candy, she doesn't like being leapt on by strange dogs. Said woman was hastily putting leads on the other assorted dogs she had with her, and kept shouting the lab, who eventually took notice and ran back to her. I assume she was a dog walker as I've not seen her before, certainly not with a variety of breeds that she had. She walked quite close by me as I was picking up after Candy and I smiled and said hello and got zilch! Hello would have been fine, an apology for not having control of the lab would have been better, especially bearing in mind there's only a short driveway between the playing field and the main road..if I'd been leaving rather than just getting there and he'd followed me, there could have been a nasty accident.

Our DW's are all very dog savvy girls who have completed various courses on dog behaviour and animal first aid so I wouldn't expect them to act like that one you encountered Suzeanna. Unfortunately there is nothing to stop anyone becoming a dog walker with no experience or training. My friend's daughter was paying a "professional" DW to walk her dog but then discovered the walks consisted of taking the dogs to a park and occasionally using a chuckit to throw a ball. Otherwise the dogs were left to their own devices whilst she sat on a bench, smoking and chatting to various friends who would turn up. Friend's daughter was paying more than we do per hour. Our DW's are very fit girls who regularly take part in various outdoor pursuits so they love to walk. We are also lucky that we have loads of countryside with great walks available and they take full advantage of that.

rescue rung twice about the foster. I said I'm just giving a heads up about what hes doing. we left it that we will see how hes doing in 2 days, but the other lady has put a post up asking for another fosterer. up to them

ive done my morrisons shop, coming on Friday. I rung up about the morrisons vouchers, what ive got. last time I rung the lady some have expired and ive lost them, this nice man put them back on, so got £25 off my shopping

• Like 2

Thanks Griff. He has been on the way out for a while. Dad wanted him to see one last Christmas, but he has a really swollen and hard pad on his back foot. Its leaking pus and a week of antibiotics, tramadol and prednisone hasnt helped. The pad needs amputating and he wont survive the surgery. This morning he was knuckling over on his front paw, which is new. Its not fair on him to keep him going now. Im absolutely devastated. Hes been such a character over the years and whilst he doesnt live with me now, its going to be weird without him at Mum and dads house. I can see why we need to say goodbye before Christmas - we know its his time, we dont want him to suffer and if we keep him going after Christmas, it means we will be dreading Christmas. There is never a good time to say goodbye. Just so crappy its happened around Christmas.

:GroupHug: Jayne. It is the hardest but kindest decision we have to make for our animals. He will always be in your heart.

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep;
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
But don't let grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;
What is to come can hold no fears.
You don't want me to suffer so
The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
But please stay with me 'til the end
To hold me close and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It was a kindness done for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I'm saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

(--Author Unknown--)

Jayne, it absolutely broke me saying goodbye to Diesel, she was my first dog and my bestest friend ever! i knew it was the right thing to do for her and i get sad every christmas and i don't bother participating very much anymore but i wouldn't have wanted her to be that way over christmas...you are honestly hand on heart doing the right thing.

I know it is probably not the right time to think about things but, you can get baubles with photos on them now, what about getting a great photo of ted and putting it on a bauble and each year it can go and the tree....every year he will still be there at christmas

Take care and i will be thinking of you xx