UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Marches Manic Mantras

Jazz

I had to take Archie to the vet this morning as he has developed a significant limp on one of his back legs. He really struggled to complete his walk with Ruby yesterday despite setting off full of vim and vigour.

He's now on "bed rest" so no walks for a week and we can try him out on very short hops after that and if he's OK build him up to doing longer. The vet couldn't detect anything wrong with his cruciate or the bone with manual manipulation so is treating him for arthritis and will review it in 2 weeks. If there is no significant progress she will order up an x-ray. She also confirmed that as well as his hearing going so is his sight. Poor boy. His spirit is so willing but his body is starting to give up.

I hope everyone else is enjoying the same sun and blue skies we are having today and that all your pets are well.

Sorry to hear Archie is starting to feel his years, he has my complete sympathy as I know the feeling myself.

Managed to get my tablets mixed up this morning, and took two 120mg when it should have been two 90mg. Oops. I'm meant to take a total of 360 a day (two 90mg morning and evening), so will it work if I take one 90 tonight, as I've already taken 240? I think I've got too much on my mind and my concentration has taken a holiday!

Do you think Phillip's appointment should be brought forward even though its only a couple of days away?

I've got Archie's brain game out and he's played both sides (find the treat) with very little trouble. So that's not going to keep him occupied for long, particularly as he cannot eat treats all day long whilst getting little to no exercise. He's starting to get really cross at me for keeping him waiting for his walk. He's gonna be really grumpy by the end of a week!

oh gosh Suzeanna, i hope they can save his sight

Errrrrr, get Archies favourite toy and hide it...hide it on a dining chair etc so not all on the ground, we do cones at school, they put 6 cones out and the dog has to sniff out the treats...you only put them in a couple and the dog has to sniff them out, sit and you raise the cone and tell them to wait, when you feel enough time has passed you tell them to eat it. what about teaching him to circle left and right? i just hold a treat by their hip and as they turn to get it move my hand round and they follow it, if you were near me i have tonnes and i mean tonnes of toys that hold treats but are really hard for the dog to use

Thanks for the tips folks. His brain game involves him having to find a treat by moving things. He gets bored with it quite quickly. He has never shown any interest in Kongs or other toys that you can hide treats in. I'll do a bit of training with him because he enjoys that. although I'll have to be careful so he's not over using that back leg.

At the moment he's happily chewing a cow's ear which he has had hidden under his bed for weeks. I got him a big bag of them but because all he did with the one I gave him was to hide it and then ignore it I gave the bag to next door for her dogs. I'll ask her if she has any of them left.

I've had him out in the back lane a half dozen times as he won't pooh in the garden. He's been making friends with 3 or 4 neighbours from the next street who share the back lane with our street. We've never met any of them before until Archie bumbled into their back yards where they have either no gate or left them open. They've all been very nice to him and sympathetic when I told them why he can go no further than the lane.

• Like 1

Yantan, use his dinner instead of treats, Scatter his food about the room or in the garden and let him hunt it out.

Try training him to roll over, cross his paws, cover his eyes with his paw. He can do these without using his leg.

Put his dinner on a spinning bottle

• Like 2