UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Marches Manic Mantras

Jazz

Suzeanna - has he been seen for his cataract yet? I'd say so long as he hasn't had any flashing lights/shadows/curtains in his vision or new floaters, he should be ok to wait until Thursday. If he has one particular type of cataract, they can develop pretty quickly. If you are at all concerned, go to a&e tomorrow :flowers:

Been busy at work, had a couple of new optometrists start and I've been helping their training. I've also been learning how to laser eyes :)

Does Archie have turmeric? I've started Blue on turmeric and that seems to help him (or at least his sharer hasn't reported him being sore or stiff since he's been on it!)

• Like 1

blackmagic that is almost Archie in that vid! It really looks like him. Thank you for posting it and the advice.

Jayne in what form do you buy the turmeric and how do you dispense it for Blue? I have powdered turmeric in my herbs & spices collection but I am guessing it won't be the right strength etc..

Blue has a turmeric powder supplement for horses, but you can make or buy golden paste. There is a company online called the golden paste company that sells ready made paste and other turmeric related stuff :)

I give Murphy and Cleo Golden Paste. It has stopped Murphy rolling on his shoulder and loosened his old age stiffness and Cleo has it as she has arthritis in her knee from her cruciate repair. It keeps both of them off Metacam.

I make my own, but you can buy it ready made from The Golden Paste Company. I bought my first lot then started making my own. Use organic turmeric- not the spice jar kind- cold pressed virgin coconut oil or virgin olive oil and ground black pepper. Murphy takes it added to his meat but Cleo is very suspicious of new things and it has to be mixed in thoroughly with hers. You can add it to some yoghurt to disguise it. You can add Ceylon cinnamon to improve the taste . I tmust be Ceylon cinnamon as the ordinary one sold can cause liver damage if feed long term.

I buy my coconut oil in Tesco and the organic Turmeric and Ceylon cinnamon from Amazon. I add the cinnamon to my porridge.

The recipe was devised by Doug English, an Australian vet who has a website and a facebook group for users where he answers questions. there is also a doctor on the group who takes the paste herself and can deal with medical based queries such as what medicines are not compatible with Golden Paste.

They do not diagnose or provide medical advice.

Horses have the turmeric powder as they have a different digestive system but humans and dogs need the turmeric to be mixed with oil. Adding freshly ground Black pepper makes the effect last longer.

Homemade paste keeps foe 2 weeks in the fridge so I put it into containers and freeze, taking one out when I need it.

Be aware turmeric stains everything yellow so handle carefully and wipe any spills immediately. I put my containers on greaseproof paper to fill them to avoid staining the table.

You do have to check if you are taking any medicines as there are some that are not compatible. I know you are not on facebook but the facebook group has loads of information and success stories. I joined facebook only to use that group. I do now follow other groups but do not indulge in social media.

This is the website http://turmericlife.com.au/doug-english-turmeric-for-animals/

http://turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-for-dogs/how-to-feed-turmeric-for-dogs/

• Like 1

it was recommended for me, but cant because of my drugs, but so many people and animals feel better for it

didn't get to go to my blood test, came over funny getting ready, so sweet coffee and a sit down instead

Bad luck on the tooth Jazz!

Jayne, he's not got floaters at all, he's just finding it harder and harder to focus with his left eye. This appointment is only to be assessed, we are hoping he won't be at the bottom of a long long list! If it comes to it he'll go private and get it done, it'll take a big chunk out of his Premium Bonds but his sight is too important to risk it.

Does feeding animals turmeric turn their poo yellow? It certainly is murder to get off tablecloths if you spill any curry!

I'd say Suzeanna, he will probably be ok to wait until tomorrow to be assessed. They might send him to see a VR consultant before listing him for treatment due to his recent detachment. What we do at Spa is take a wide angle photo so we can see pretty much all of the retina on every patient, so then we can see how well held the retina is. If the wait is too long at the hospital he has been referred to, there are other options. Optegra is a private hospital that does NHS cataract surgery. Our hospital is an option as well as you don't have to live local to be sent to us (so long as you are happy to travel). We have a new hospital due to open in Sheffield in a few months, it's a shame that hospital isn't open yet. We aim to get patients in for surgery within 2 weeks of their pre assessment appointment. Some of them even come in the next day. We don't do it same day as we give you a lot of information and it's important that you have time to take it in :)

I've got a Samsung Galaxy J3 which is basically a budget model. Ruby has recently updated her Galaxy to a much posher version. I forget which one. This is her 3rd or 4th Samsung phone. I had an iPhone before this but disliked it. Much prefer the Samsung. I can add memory to my J3 which is something I couldn't do with the iPhone. Our DW also likes Samsung Galaxy.

Samsung phones are good Jazz, if you ever get the chance to try one!

Well, we aren't really much further on regarding Philip's eye. Saw a consultant at Hallamshire who agreed he does need an op (no surprise there then!) but is unable to tell us how long he'll have to wait. He showed her his paperwork re the retinal tear and she said the procedure is the same regardless, it's either a case of having it done and risking a problem or not having it done at all. Not a lot of choice then really.