UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

Well done Bonnie bird, that is good going :) You will get results it took me probably about 8 weeks of gym workouts (going 3x per week) before I started losing weight. I hadn't really changed what I eat either.

Enjoy your personal trainer tomorrow Sam :)

18 seconds slower still isn't too bad Murtle, I just can't do running at all, so am in awe of the distances you manage to run :flowers:

Day off from the gym today, still had all my farm jobs to do, so not a total lazy day :)

• Like 1

I am up to 11 miles in 35 minutes on my exercise bike, the dieting is going rubbish, but will I ever see results from the bike?

it depends on what results you want from the bike

if its weight loss you will need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight , either by using more calories than you use , reducing calorie intake or a combination of both

first you need to find out how many calories you burn a day , using a Basel Metabolic Rate Calculator http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/bmr.html and then track how many calories you eat a day

If you are looking to burn calories on the bike you need to work hard enough to raise your heart rate and ideally sweat , shorter harder workouts will burn more calories than long slow ones as its important to raise your heart rate

If your diet is giving you more calories than you are burning ( even with the bike ) you will gain weight , if its around the same you will stay the same. Be careful not to create too large a calorie deficit either or your body thinks its starving and slows down your metabolism

If you want to build muscles as well as reduce body fat you will need to look doing muscle building exercises as well most likely with weights or using your own body weight and resistance training

Interestingly shorter harder efforts will take the easy accessible calories, longer efforts will start to eat into the fat that you want to burn.

For my running, it's the longer sustained runs that start to help me loose the fat rather than the short hard efforts which improve the cardio and level of fitness.

Don't over estimate the amount you will burn when exercising either, it is very easy to eat back the calories. A 3 mile run for me might burn something like 300 calories. But I can drink that back with a couple of beers on a night out.

One thing I would suggest is taking a tape measure and measuring bust, waist, hips, thighs, arms etc as sometimes you won't see a weight loss but you will see a change in shape. When i started running my thighs increased in size, this is because the muscle builds but the fat doesn't go. Overtime my legs are slowly starting to trim down, as I manage to burn the fat, again the longer steady runs (with elevated heart rate, but not too high) start to utilise the fat for energy. I also generally don't eat before exercise so the body has to utilise the fat stores for energy as there is a reduced amount of easy access calories to burn. I then always eat something when I get back.

This post might be interesting to read though

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Your totally right Murtle, I wrote that slightly jet lagged ! And did not explain it 100 %

Shorter bursts help increase cardio fitness ( and do help burn fat ) slower longer exercise will burn calories but I think you need to be at least slightly out of breath and raise your heart rate

As long as the calories you burn exceed the calories you consume you will lose weight :)

My Personal Trainer just emailed over my latest stats

since I started with him on 7th September I have lost 5.4kg in weight ( just under 12 pounds ) a reduction of 3 % of body fat , and gained 3kg in muscle during the same time

I think Personal Training and the gym is a long game , you do get results but they take time ( well they do for me ! )

today is the lightest I have weighed since 1997 !

Well done Sam :)

Are you back trying to do the same levels of cardio as you were before you went to Sri Lanka? I know that even though I worked out on holiday a few times, it just wasn't the same, so when I got home, I dropped the length of times down I spend on each machine by a few mins and am now building the time back up again. The cross trainer I am finding particularly hard to get back into doing. I have always found it tough going on cross train mode, but since I have been away, it is really tough going!

Ooh evil PT man :angry: :laugh:

Mr G was at the gym this morning, he doesn't usually work Monday, so was a bit surprised when I saw him. He is constantly keeping tabs on what I am doing though, was doing my abs work on the ball and he made sure I was doing the evil ones he showed me last week :rolleyes: :laugh: He asked if I am doing the core workout class tomorrow, I don't usually do that one as it's the day before I get a hammering in his tone and shape class. Might ask him before I leave if he thinks I could cope with both :unsure:

I haven't been feeling great since Thursday so didn't do my indoor walking since Wednesday. This morning, I didn't have time for my walking (takes just over an hour) so I did 15 mins of jogging around the house - indoor jogging :biggrin:

You guys are all amazing for all you do although I have to admit half of the time I've no idea what you're talking about :worried_anim: :laughingsmiley:

Indoor jogging sounds like a good thing :biggrin:

I had no idea about most of the stuff we talk about this time last year, however since joining the gym in September, have turned into a proper gym bunny :rolleyes: :) I used to hate exercise, used to do anything I could to skip PE at school, however now I am in the routine of working out, I love it :biggrin: The deciding factor for me to get fit and lose weight was for Blue's sake - after he came back from his injury last year, I figured that since I had put on 3 stone since I bought him 5 years ago, it wasn't fair for him to carry all my excessive weight as he is getting older. I was too skinny when I bought him (I was 7 stone), so just figured if I could get down to 8 and a half, it would be much better for him and me! Figured it also may help me find a bloke - Mr G reckons I'll need a stick to beat all the blokes off with soon :laugh: :wub:

Well done Jayney Babes :) I am not a gym bunny ( not at my age ! ) but I do really enjoy my workouts , today I didn't go to the gym but I did a 30 minute cardo session at home

Mark and I are now clearing our house ready for our move , the amount of work we did today beats our normal gym workout hands down

Mags , I hope you are feeling better soon