UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

i have joint problems and because of my wegeners i get out of breath so easily... i think it is just as i have been feeling so tired that i haven't done anything. i also don't think my calorie intake has been helping, i am struggling to work out what i am actually consuming.... i know the less i do the less calories i need so for example the only time i have been out of the house in the last few weeks is for a little walk with both dogs and to go to the vets/hospital/doctors which isn't a lot, i bought some pasta from asda and it is a 500g packet which is 5 servings (according to the packet) now it says on the pack 100 g cooked as per instructions is 147 cal..... now is that you weigh the pasta before cooking and when it is done the calorific value is 147 cal or is after it has been cooked? pasta weighs more after cooking so i would guess that 100g uncooked would probably be 200g cooked, i think i have been over eating!

i have joint problems and because of my wegeners i get out of breath so easily... i think it is just as i have been feeling so tired that i haven't done anything. i also don't think my calorie intake has been helping, i am struggling to work out what i am actually consuming.... i know the less i do the less calories i need so for example the only time i have been out of the house in the last few weeks is for a little walk with both dogs and to go to the vets/hospital/doctors which isn't a lot, i bought some pasta from asda and it is a 500g packet which is 5 servings (according to the packet) now it says on the pack 100 g cooked as per instructions is 147 cal..... now is that you weigh the pasta before cooking and when it is done the calorific value is 147 cal or is after it has been cooked? pasta weighs more after cooking so i would guess that 100g uncooked would probably be 200g cooked, i think i have been over eating!

you weigh pasta before you cook

I am clearing out a lot of the house I have found a my old slimming world books and magazines , would you like to me post them all to you ?

Thanks HLGS i do have some slimming world books (my mums workmate lost quite a bit of weight on it and let me have them). i haven't been over eating then..maybe it is just the steroids :err:

tomorrow i will deffo get back on the gym ball!!

PM me your address , I will post you a pack in a few days with some bits that might help :)

pasta and rice are odd ones Griff - it depends on what they say as to if it is pre or post cooking, normally pre cooked, but there are instances where it is post...i guess they do that when it makes their food look better :-)

the myfitnesspal mentioned by vonny is a really good site, I used a similar one that i paid for but am moving to a free one now...

I found it really useful to do it for a week without changing eating patterns / habits to see what my *normal* diet was like and how to amend it.

For me it was increasing my protein which I expected being a veggie. I had to make conscious decisions as to what was good for me to eat. I don't know if myfitnesspal gives a break down of your carbs/protein/fat etc but the paid for one I used did and that really helped. Especially for instance when weight training I need higher protein levels to repair / build so I could monitor it.

I know diets work for people, but I am personally not a fab of them having seen my Mom struggle with diet sheets for about 20years. Her weight stabilised and started reducing with a balanced diet and food awareness and a change in exercise type. But I realise people like different things :-)

Many things will affect a lady loosing weight, but steriods will play chaos with things. Logging what you are eating and activiites you do will help you understand where / when weight increase / decrease occurs. I found if I wrote it in a notebook I could add it in one go in the evening, otherwise I became a bit addicted to checking and playing on it too much!!

Edited by murtle

Steroids can have a marked effect on weight and appetite Griff, so I would say so long as you don't eat loads of junk and do as much exercise as you can do at the moment, you are doing well :flowers:

Legs are killing today, definitely feeling the squats from yesterday. Doing a cardio session today to try and get rid of my lactic acid - seems to be working ok :)

WTF are suicide planks??? :unsure:

They were talking about burpees on the radio yesterday and today. I dunno what they are, but they sound evil :unsure:

My legs are still aching, got a riding lesson on Blue tonight, me thinks I may struggle to get on without some help :laugh:

Burpees are where you are in a press up position, you jump your feet into your hands and then jump up. Then jump down to press up position and start again. Repeat. Oh and the jump at the end is important just incase you wanted to leave that bit out when tired!

Suicide planks are where you put yourself in te plank position on your elbows and then push yourself into press up position by one hand then the other hand, then back onto one elbow, then the other elbow...repeat...

:-)

Oh, we have done suicide planks in tone and shape. Mr G doesn't call them that - I imagine the name would put everyone off. We haven't done those for a while, nor have we done plank starjumps for a while :unsure:

Burpees sound like evil things - may have a go in the privacy of my own bedroom :)

Suicide planks are good once you can hold a plank for a minute cause too much longer just gets boring!!

I am looking forward to starting the body pump classes again and using the gym. But first this weekend I am hoping the weather holds off for me too do a long run tomorrow. Currently it looks like it will be in the rain...woohoo :-)