UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cecil Was Head Shaking And Twitching

Pendlewitch

I could hear a really odd noise in the kitchen so I switched off all electrical items and found that the sort of drumming noise was coming from Cecil! Then his head started shaking, he was blinking really fast and he had twitches all over his face, he stood up a few times but his back end seemed to slip away from him and in the end he stayed lying down. He gradually came out of it but seemed a bit vague and detached so I rang the vet. As the problem had stopped she suggested I bring him in during the week for blood tests, when I went back in the kitchen he had started again so rang vet back and arranged to take him in.

Blood tests show liver and kidney failure, his pancreatitis is not controlled, he is anaemic and his calcium levels are wrong, I forget what she said about that bit He already has loads of fatty lumps all over him but also has some internal ones that cannot be confirmed as harmless and could be doing anything inside him. Any or all of the above could be causing the seizures, vet says he may never have another, he could have loads of little ones or he could throw a major fit, it's impossible to predict. There is also something going on in his throat but he won't allow it to be looked at and a GA is out of the question. Vet doesn't think there is much in the way of treatment in view of his complex problems, she did think he should go back on the Royal Canin for his pancreatitis but he hates it and won't even look at it. He's on Burns and Chappie and is eating fine even today.

He is losing weight, he's very deaf and his sight is poor. He has dementia and is begining to pace and stare at walls, he gets the hinge side of the door when asking to go out and gets lost in the top part of the garden and has to be retrieved and his back end is very weak.

But he insisted in going out this afternoon, did some very unbalanced jumpy things and rushed round to the car! He can get in with a helping hand under his bum but needs a ramp to get out. We had a very short walk, he would have gone further but I think that's the dementia taking over because once back in the car he flops out flat for a while.

We are a seriously slippery slope and I know his time is running out fast, he's 15 now and I thought he would go on forever. I'm going to have to make a decision at some point and it may be a lot sooner than I thought it would be. I wish they didn't have to get old!

Oh the dear of him. It s time for special treats , extra liberties and favourite places. But even with the dementia he still knows what he wants. Maybe some sunshine .will please him. Give him a cuddle from us. What is it about the hinge side of the door our Jemma does that all of the time, surely there should be a 50 50 chance.

when you say about this eyes. Were they flicking from side to side? He could have had a vestibular episode which would leave him imbalanced. Sometimes it is mis diagnosed as a stroke but the eyes are the give away. That would end up with dog lying down and out of it/disorientated for a time afterwards. If it is vestibular many just have the one episode. Our dog did.

Edited by Jacobean

He was shaking and twitching this moring so I had a good look at his eyes, they don't move, it's all his face and the tremor . He was a bit blank after it stopped but then trotted off outside.

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts. :GroupHug:

An update! Cecil continues to have episodes of twitching and shaking but apart from that his behaviour is bizarre and I can't make moss nor sand of it. He is determined to come out on walks with the other two, once out of the car he's totally and completely manic, charges round me at a gallop, pulls like a train and continually picks up all sorts of skanky rubbish.

He was in the kitchen this morning and he suddenly fixed me eye to eye and was wagging his tail like crazy,(Cecil does not do tail wagging), for half a millionth of a split second I thought he was going to go for me, then he had a head rubbing session on my knees. After a minute or two he went into complete stop, staring at nothing, no twitches or tremors and then turned round and got in his bed, lay down and was instantly asleep.

It's like he is just wired and bonkers at times, I'm assuming it's the dementia but I suppose it could be any or all of his problems adding their bit. When he's not wired he's switched off and in bed flat out. I do think the wobbly back end is worse and his bonkers stuff is not helping that at all but I'm happy to let him do what he wants!

Edited by Pendlewitch

An update! Cecil continues to have episodes of twitching and shaking but apart from that his behaviour is bizarre and I can't make moss nor sand of it. He is determined to come out on walks with the other two, once out of the car he's totally and completely manic, charges round me at a gallop, pulls like a train and continually picks up all sorts of skanky rubbish.

He was in the kitchen this morning and he suddenly fixed me eye to eye and was wagging his tail like crazy,(Cecil does not do tail wagging), for half a millionth of a split second I thought he was going to go for me, then he had a head rubbing session on my knees. After a minute or two he went into complete stop, staring at nothing, no twitches or tremors and then turned round and got in his bed, lay down and was instantly asleep.

It's like he is just wired and bonkers at times, I'm assuming it's the dementia but I suppose it could be any or all of his problems adding their bit. When he's not wired he's switched off and in bed flat out. I do think the wobbly back end is worse and his bonkers stuff is not helping that at all but I'm happy to let him do what he wants!

All you can do, apart from loads of cuddles and letting him know how loved he is, which I'm sure you do. Loads of hugs for you as it's such a bittersweet time with him. Love, laughs and sadness too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm becoming so worried about Cecil, his twitching is almost constant now and although he wants to come on walks and will be more than a bit manic at times pinging over gullies like a two year old he does suddenly go really tired. I never walk far from the car so I'm always sure of getting him back ok and he will willingly jump in although he does get a hand under his bum in case he misses.

His confusion is much worse, I'm not sure if his hearing has worsened or it's the confusion but sometimes he just looks so blank and does not respond to anything, he will stand in front of me and is not aware I'm there so when I want to pass him I have to touch his back then he jumps like he's been stung! His breath is horrible and his nose is crusty, he won't let me put anything on it though, he has some weird heavy breathing episodes and he sounds awful, it's really harsh and occasionally he does some coughing, that sounds like he's got something stuck but he doesn't retch. He barely cocks his leg now, just a little lift, he's easily unbalanced as his back end is weak and he doesn't like to sit for long, he always slides down on to the floor. There have been a few poop in the kitchen incidents and it really does smell awful, much worse than normal. He scares me when he's asleep because he snores so heavily and does not wake up when anyone comes into the room, I never try to wake him as he gets in a bit of a panic if I do but sooner or later a sound will get through and he'll get up, he's always very wobbly then but does improve a bit once he's been outside. His walk is kind of stilted, as though his feet hurt and he gets a bit of cramping in his toes at times.

He eats fine and is always up for more, he does get charcoal biscuits as treats and he would eat them forever given the chance but he is dropping weight. He's about 19kg and at his best was 29kg, his back end looks so narrow now and a lot has dropped off his once powerful shoulders.

I swing wildy from let him go now while he still has some dignity left if not much to wow look at him jump that gully, he must be fine. I'm conning myself as I know his liver and kidneys are failing but I can't leave him until something shuts down and it becomes a frantic emergency.

I did that with Radar who was in liver failure and he collapsed and died one morning and I swore I would not be a day too late ever again. I'm feel I'm so near that day too late and I must have the guts to make the decision for Cecil even though it rips the heart out of me!

Edited by Pendlewitch