UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Moral Dilemma

collies r best

There has been a job advertised which i would love, its working in a petshop [dont think it'll have pets for sale :unsure: ].These jobs are few and far between over here. The place isnt even 5 mins walk from home so ideal for Izzie for me to get home for her at lunch. I dont have retail experience but loads of animal experience and of a large variety although i'm far from an expert. But heres the hitch...my daughters applying for the job and doesnt know that i was going to apply. My daughter is 20 and lives at home and is not the forgiving type. I know the odds are neither of us will get the job but she'll go mad if i go after it :unsure: So what do i do, should i leave it or apply quietly and if it got past the interview stage then discuss it with my daughter. I really am stuck because its a job i'd love but i know all hell will break loose if i got it or she found out i was applying as well.

T be honest i was surprised she was after the job, she has 2 hamsters which she takes very good care of but the rest of the animals are mine or Jodies [other daughter]and Carla doesnt bother about any of them just refers to them as a nuisances :unsure: Dont get me wrong she'd never illtreat them she just doesnt bother about them. She is not animal mad like me :rolleyes: Shes been in her current job 3years but hates it and desperately wants out of it.

i agree with phoebejo, i think i would be honest from the start :flowers: your daughter should be able to accept a bit of competition :biggrin: at least your daughter already has a job and although she might not like where she works it isn't as if she desperately needs the employment. good luck whatever you decide :flowers:

Your daughter possibly views it as a retail job rather than the actual type of shop it is. I would tell her that you would love it but if she said she really wanted the job I would back off and leave her to it. If I knew a friend was going for a particular job I liked I wouldn't apply for it.

The employer might have a good idea what they are looking for which could match your daughter's profile or yours or possibly neither. They will not necessarily recruit if they don't find the right person. Therefore I would be honest with your daughter and apply. She might not be what they are looking for and in that case would be turned down whether or not you applied & so you'd be missing out without her gaining anything

Be honest with your daughter, at 20 she needs to understand the implications of her actions (and be a little less selfish).

It's a job, it's what you want. If you'd told her first, what would have happened then.

I would say something along the lines of that you were going to apply, but didn't mention it when she said as you hadn't realised she was going to apply and needed time to think about what you wanted to do.

As you say, these don't come about very often. :GroupHug:

I agree with the others, apply and talk to your daughter, its her problem if its an issue. If were going for the same job as my mum I would be delighted if either of us got the job, probably more so for her if I knew it was something she really wanted :flowers: