UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2011 Diet Thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, well done Sandra :biggrin: :flowers:

Though I have been eating cake (bought for my birthday) I have been trying to stick to SW plan the rest of the time. Made a yummy curry for dinner yesterday with leftover for today or tomorrow. :biggrin:

Can't remember the last time I weighed myself but have lost a pound since then. I am going to weigh in tomorrow at class as I havent been for a few weeks when MIL was poorly/funeral etc. I am still within target (on my scales) :rolleyes: so see where I am really.

Val, how are you doing? Do you need any help?

Well done Sandra - fantastic start :flowers:

I'm just getting myself organised and started Andrea.

I know I have to do this as my weight is starting to affect health problems that I already have :worried_anim:

One of the biggest difficulties for me right at the moment is that I have a lot of issues to deal with - am trying to sort out a nursing home placement for mum which isn't proving that easy as it has to be a place that is also dementia registered and will accept LA funding in payment. She is in hospital at present and has been there for 6 weeks now, she was in hospital for 7 weeks early in the New Year as well. It's all phone calls back and forth between social workers, care homes, visits to care homes etc. And my usual way of dealing with such stress is to eat as I don't drink or smoke :rolleyes:

But maybe that's just me trying to find excuses for my lack of willpower :unsure:

Will let you know how the first week goes - I'm not expecting miracles but a slow and steady loss will keep me happy :)

Val, you have a lot to deal with so maybe just start with small changes. :flowers: As for the situation you are dealing with, get the social worker to give you more help! They should know which homes deal with dementia and will take the funding. We were given a choice of and told to ring them to find out which had beds available. The rest was sorted out by them. :GroupHug:

Mags, at least you are staying steady and not increasing. :wink: More than I can say today. :laugh:

Questions for those of you using WW, SW, etc.

Is there a lot of cooking involved?

How does this work out with others in the house who are not dieting and/or children? Are you then cooking two meals?

Does this work out more expensive?

I think I eat healthy enough. A typical day would be:

Breakfast - cornflakes with linseed and soya milk.

Lunch - boiled egg with 1 (probably a bit thick) slice of homemade brown bread and soya spread.

Dinners - potatoes and veg with chicken/salmon/pies. Or pizza and chips. Or pasta with sauce. Or shephards pie. That kind of thing.

Late night snack - rice krispie bar.

I don't snack during the day.

I'm now 10 months off the cigarettes and my weight has gone up since quitting. I am 10.5 stone.

So anyway, does this eating sound healthy-ish enough?

I find doing exercise difficult with hip/back problems but hoping to get into a proper routine of going swimming with Andy twice a week from now on.

All kicks up the backside duly welcome :biggrin:

Firstly, well done on quitting the cigarettes Mags :flowers: Not an easy thing to do.

I'm not really the right person to say whether your diet is OK or not but you certainly do better than me for the snacking - just one of my downfalls lol :laugh:

And I know swimming is excellent exercise for those with any sort of musculo-skeletal problems as the water supports your weight.

So I think you're doing a blooming fantastic job Mags :liebe94:

Well done on the quitting Mags. :flowers: I put nearly two stone on when I quit smoking. :rolleyes: In answer to your question re SW (dont know about WW), yes and no! :laugh: It can involve lots more cooking, but you can get away without cooking if you want to buy certain convenience foods, but then you will spend more money. Your diet doesnt look to bad.

You mention about cooking, then say you eat things like shepherds pie. Is this shop bought or made? Lots of convenience foods, especially sauces, are loaded with calories. Salt added as preservatives then counteracted with sugars. Easy things to make on SW, are shepherds pie, chilli, spag bol curry, jacket potato, pasta. Its basically going back to pre processed days of eating with fresh ingredients. Though as I said you can eat prepacked foods too if you need to. Pasta in sauce, instant rices, certain tinned soups, tinned veg, lean meat of any kind, not including sausages, burgers. Quorn is mostly free too. Have a look at the recipes on the website. As for cooking two meals, no. You can all eat the same food and if you didnt tell hubby he probably wouldnt even notice. Quite a lot of partners end up losing weight too because they are eating what the family eats. :biggrin: No I am not on commission, :laugh: I just know it works if you eat the right things.

Trial menu

Edited by safneo

Thanks Val :flowers:

Andrea, I've put on nearly two stone too. I know metabolism changes when you quit nicotine but it would have settled after a few months. I haven't been eating any more since I quit. If anything, I've been drinking more water.

Shepherds pie would be made. Sauce would be bought for pasta with peppers and mushrooms added.

Hubby could do with losing a few pounds anyway :laugh:

I'll have a look at the recipes.

Thanks for the info Nanny :flowers: (Sorry I just can't help myself :laugh: )

I'm only on page 2 of the dinners and I've already picked out three recipes.

And I really want to try those chips. I've never made chips cos I always thought you'd need a deep fat fryer.

Have to stock up on my spices :biggrin:

Mags :ohmy: :D Bought sauces are pretty bad. You can make them yourself fairly easily using passatta then just add what you want, onions, mushrooms, herbs etc. With the syn free chips I can never get them right. I do wedges instead using jacket potatoes. Just cut them up with skin on, cover in spray oil and salt and give them a shake. Roast in fairly hot oven for 35 - 40 mins depending on your oven/how thick you cut them. You will need to turn them over during cooking. Love them with extra low fat mayonnaise :biggrin:

==

I have been pretty good today. Had a punnet strawberries and banana for brekkie, small wholemeal sub roll with cheese/onion, peach for lunch, pear this afternoon, then salad of quorn (sliced roast), salad leaves asparagus and hard boiled egg. :biggrin: I did then have an ickle bit of cake cos it was my birthday cake so I have to eat it! I have saved the last bit for Lauren so I dont have to eat any more. :laugh: