UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Soon After Losing A Dog

zico's mum

There's no right or wrong answer. I've had a lot of losses over the last few years, it's devastating every time but one thing I've realised is that love isn't finite, and learning to love a new dog doesn't detract one bit from the feelings I've had for previous dogs and the precious memories of them.

As others have said, offering a loving home to another dog wouldn't be disloyal to Daisy - but if you feel you need more time before you are ready that's OK too.

Hugs to you and Duncan and good luck with whatever you decide Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

As others have said I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, only what is right for you. flowers.gif Joyce, who I'd seen on German Shepherd Rescue when looking for anything that might help Jo, with an appeal to send donations to Rosedenes vet to help her and who later appeared ready for homing on Oldies Club joined Tara & I just a month after we lost Jo.

It may perhaps upset you when you collect a new friend, even though it's a good thing you've done - it did me as we pulled away & I sat there "talking to Jo" about it - but I think you'll find any new friend(s) in the future will each take their own little place in your heart and memories, never replace Daisy - or any you may lose in the future.

I like "the legacy" too & wonder whether you think Daisy would want you to help another in need enjoy the same love and care she was lucky enough to know?

My sister adopted her staffy Sugar only a week after losing her previous one. She felt that as she was definitely going to have another staffy at some point it might as well be sooner rather than later, especially considering the numbers in rescue. I thought it was quite a compliment to her first dog.

It took about 3 weeks of visits before we found April and when I brought her home I was in tears because what I really wanted was the first dog back.

Thanks so much,think this is exactly what I'm so frightened of.

I was asked to foster her originally but it was too raw.She's due to be put up for rehoming in a couple of days and I'm panicing now as she's so sweet and good I'm sure she will be snapped up very quickly.Decision time looming.Thanks for the posts everyone,it really does help.And I love that poem,Daisy wouldn't mind her bed being used I'm sure and her oh so precious squeaky that she guarded from Duncan for 5 years :laugh: went with her so that's safe for ever now :wub:

When our greyhound, Daisy died we got another a month later! I did struggle for a while as Daisy was such a well behaved, quiet hound and Caleb was rather unruly at 9 months, but we persevered and now I wouldn't swap him for the world! I don't think getting another dog is replacing the one that died, they are all individuals. Good luck, I am sure you will know when the time is right. :)

Thanks so much,think this is exactly what I'm so frightened of.

I was asked to foster her originally but it was too raw.She's due to be put up for rehoming in a couple of days and I'm panicing now as she's so sweet and good I'm sure she will be snapped up very quickly.

Is she close enough that you can meet her? That might sway your decision one way or the other. My moments of doubt only lasted the first few hours and honestly from the next day until the end of April's life I didn't regret having her for a minute.

Edited by Karen

Lynne - I'm not sure if you remember Bud or Alice.

2 weeks after Bud died I took his things along to Dogs Trust. I had decided to stick with the 2 girls (Lucy and Alice) as I had found a lot of places would take 2 dogs not 3....... while I was there I saw 2 dogs behind the desk, one the size I like (around Bo and China these days) but the one who caught my eye was an old, frail fluffbal - Toastie! Not at all the sort of dog I would have said I would go for, but once he was fit enough to come home that is where he came.

I had been keeping an eye out for a deaf dog for a while - not so much an active search but if I saw details I followed them up. The idea was Alice would be my chief trainer as she was such a good girl (except near rabbits or cats). Alice went in for an exploratory on the Wednesday, I saw Jed's details, then the call to say Alice had been riddled with cancer and the vet had followed my wishes and let her drift away on the table rather than being brought round and patched up with no life expectancy. I was in 2 minds what to do about Jed but still went ahead and contacted Sue, went to meet him on the Friday and he came home with us on the Saturday.

Neither of these times did I feel disloyal as I was not replacing the dog who had died, but rather giving a home to another dog who would fit in well with my pack.

Don't forget it is not just you missing Daisy - Duncan had a companion while you were at work and he has lost her as well, so if the right one comes along - however quickly - then you will know what to do.

G

• 2 weeks later...