UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Feed The Birds

zico's mum

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some Bill Oddie wild bird food yesterday and put a load out on top of their frozen bird bath yesterday, along with some peanuts.

My next door neighbour feeds the small birds all year round but not the big ones (he shoots them instead angry.gif ) and we get magpies and pigeons hanging around, so I feed them instead (especially in the spring, when the maggies nest in the tree overhanging my garden).

I have restocked my feeders and have put seed and mealworms lower down as well.

It is interesting to watch garden bird politics the blackbird doesn't mind the sparrows beside him, but objected to the (I think) thrush that was here today - haven't ever seen a thrush in the garden before so was pleased to see it - until bb sent it packing :rolleyes:

I also saw...a wren!!!! :biggrin: again I have 'never' seen one in the garden before, I got a pic (not great) that I will post in a bit.

The main problem with putting food low is Tia :dry: who will try to eat it, OH even caught her on the frozen pond trying to get to some :ohmy:

OH has been walking down by the canal since he's not been able to ride his bike and has been taking some food after meeting a very friendly robin on the path!

Who'd have thought that; 1. my addicted cyclist would actually go walking and 2. choosing to feed the birds!!

Wonders will never cease! He has the most amazing picture (I think) of a robin, which I will ask him if I can use for turning into Christmas cards for next year!

Lovely Wren photo wub.gif

We feed the birds all year round, but have increased the amount through the bad weather. It's difficult keeping the pond and bird bath thawed though.

We've had a number of new birds recently, probably because of the bad weather, but a couple look like female blackbirds with rosy red chests - I've been told they're redwings but I thought they had speckled chests unsure.gif

There's hope for your OH yet Mary :unsure: :laugh:

Here is my wren, not a great shot but I had to get it quick through not so clean windows :rolleyes:

1-1.jpg

Blimey - that would be something San if there was hope for him :wink:

Lovely photo of the wren, it's lovely to see the birds.

I don't know what a redwing looks like but on the rspb site it looked like this

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/redwing/index.aspx

xxx

We've had a number of new birds recently, probably because of the bad weather, but a couple look like female blackbirds with rosy red chests - I've been told they're redwings but I thought they had speckled chests unsure.gif

If they had grey heads they might be fieldfares, same family as blackbirds and redwings. OH has been taking photos of them this weekend and they have quite golden chests.

No I don't think they're fieldfares either unsure.gif

They were just plain brown with russety red chests, but blackbird size. I'll have to get a picture next time and post on here .. although now I've said that I probably won't see them again rolleyes.gif

Don't think this is blackbird size? But http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/stonechat/index.aspx

Stonechat??

No I don't think they're fieldfares either unsure.gif

They were just plain brown with russety red chests, but blackbird size. I'll have to get a picture next time and post on here .. although now I've said that I probably won't see them again rolleyes.gif

Don't think this is blackbird size? But http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/stonechat/index.aspx

Stonechat??

This is a female

Female stonechat

Masses of fieldfares have moved into the open spaces here as well.There must be lots of folks feeding the birds,was in town so popped into Wilkinsons for extra food - the only thing they had was tubs of fatballs,some niger seed and 4 packs of suet blocks.No seed at all,similar story in Poundland and Poundstretcher.Tesco had 1 bag of mixed seed left so grabbed that and 6 boxes of mince pies reduced to 30p :lol: