UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Amazing Alfie - 12/12/09

Peachy

I can't believe I'm writing this because my boy wasn't supposed to leave us yet. I wasn't ready for such a shock because he was always so full of life and energy. My Alfie has gone.

He'd been a having a bit of an upset tummy fairly intermittently and had seen the vet only two weeks ago because he was just not himself. He recovered well after having antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. On Friday, he went back for blood tests because he was still wasn't quite right. Not unwell as such and maybe others wouldn't have noticed if they didn't know him so well. In the early hours of Saturday morning, Alfie was suddenly really unwell so we took him to the vets straight away. He was put on a drip and the vet stayed with him for a few hours until he seemed settled and rested.

I received a call just after 8am on Saturday morning to say my baby boy had fallen asleep but didn't wake up.

Here are some words I've already written.

Alfie was always a shining star in my life and came to me just over eight and a half years ago, after being hit by a car and suffering a broken leg. We thought he was around 12-18 months old. He had a terrible start in life and was so frightened of many situations and people but if he trusted you, you were lucky and trusted for life. He had a hooligan nature at times but that gave him true character and we all loved him for it. We are all so shocked to be without the bundle of energy when only two days ago he was flying around the field at top speed. He spent yesterday at a village pub with his best friend. Life couldn't be any better than the way Alfie lived it. He was unique, a real pleasure, lovable and, most of all, my amazing Alfie. He'll always be a part of me and will never be forgotten.

It was because of Alfie that I found this forum. When I took him in all those years ago, I went online and searched for dog rescue forums. I found a small group on Yahoo and Claire (clazUK) was there. After much chatting online, she invited us all to a BBQ at her house in Reading before she had the kennels. That seems like a lifetime ago now. It was by following Claire some years later that I found The Refuge.

Alfie's influence in my life was instrumental in me wanting to help dogs in any way I could. He was full of life and trusted us implicitly despite his awful start. He was thought to be owned by some unsavoury characters who said he should be shot when he was run over. The vet refused and repaired his broken leg but needed to get him into a home instead of a kennel. I heard about him via a bulletin board in my previous job and the rest is history.

We don't know why he's left us so suddenly. I'm not sure that knowing would make it any easier. The vet thinks he may have been older than we thought and that his heart may have got tired. Or maybe he had a tumour that was pressing on something. Whatever the reason, he's gone and I'm like a lost soul without him. I keep asking for him to give me a sign that he's ok but I haven't seen anything yet. I can't feel his presence but I'm desperate to sense him.

I'm sorry for my rambling post but I needed to get some feelings down 'on paper'. I love - loved - my boy so much because he loved life. It feels so wrong for him to be gone.

Last Christmas

IMG_7857.jpg

Loving life

IMG_3093a.jpg

A few years ago with his old friend, Reggie. I hope they've found each other again.

115-1504_IMG.jpg

Thank you Alfie. Thank you for being my dog. Thank you for everything you taught me. You'll always be in my heart. Be at peace but be sure to have lots of fun, wherever you are. I love you.

:mecry: