UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Collars

reds

A spin off from Non animal chat but I am surprised by the number of people whose dogs do not wear collars in the house and just wondered why really?

Stories of intruders into a house letting the dogs out, and other 'could happens' are too common for my personal liking so all of mine always wear collars.

Simple things too like escaping from the garden (shouldn't happen but can). Annie for instance escaped once when she had an injury on her neck so was not wearing her collar. The grief that caused knowing that she could not be readily identified...

I can't see a difference between believing in microchips but not in collars (hence tags) when in the house. Different obviously if left in a crate but am speaking generally.

What do you do/think?

My dogs wear collars with ID on during the day, but not usually at night. Their necks seem to get itchy when they wear them all the time.

I do usually keep their collars on at night if we are going away somewhere, just in case there is a fire alarm or something, but if they did happen to get out here, even if they were panicking I'm confident they would not go far and my neighbours would all know whose they were. If I left all the gates and doors open at my house then probably all they would do is whinge about the drafts, they really aren't the dogs for adventuring on their own.

I was interested to discover when I was researching boxers in preparation for foster Tara Banana arriving that it seems to be particularly common for this breed to get their collar caught on something and hurt themselves, so I'm being particularly careful with her and she's not wearing a collar unless I'm there to keep an eye.

My cats don't wear collars: if they are breakaway ones they just take them off, and the non-removable ones are too dangerous, we used to use those but had a bad tangling incident so I reckon they are safer without.

Mine wear them all the time, Cecil and Jumble have bioflow collars as well so are wearing two. Jack and Jumble would probably not go far if they escaped but Cecil is a born wanderer and would stroll off quite happily.

All the collars are fitted loosely, useful enough to grab but would come off it they got stuck anywhere.

Our dogs wear their collars and tags 24/7 just in case. We wash them every now and then so they don't get too smelly and irritate them.

I always worry in case somebody leaves a door open and they sneak out and the trouble with hounds is when they get out and pick a scent up they can go for miles.

Both Cliffy & Tessie wear their collars in the house, but

Archie doesnt. My Arch got himself in a scrap with some other dogs

the day before he was rehomed to me, and when it went sceptic he had to

have some surgery to sew him back up. As for the next year after that he

walked on a harness he never wore a collar.

he only got 'collared'!!, when he found he could back out of his harness

so now he walks on a collar, but through habit i take it off him after

he gets home from walkies

All the collars are fitted loosely, useful enough to grab but would come off it they got stuck anywhere.

I am fairly sure that Tara would get a loose collar caught, twisted, then probably panic and strangle herself, I don't think she would not have the sense to stay still and calmly back out : her instinct seems to be if in doubt wriggle, twist, and pull hard. And of course she has such a huge head, it's not exactly something a collar slips off easily.

I think as usual it depends on the dog: Az with his small sloping head is a past master of collar removal, I can't imagine him getting stuck on something. That's why his tag collar is so small and light, he tends to take them off if they irritate at all, and he knows just how to wiggle a martingale to get it to hang loose. :laugh:

All my dogs have a collar put on the day they arrive and the only time it comes off is when they have a bath.

When I produce the collar to put it in again they get all excited.

In over thirty years of having dogs I have never had a dog get its collar caught but if that is a worry you can get Keepsafe breakaway collars

http://www.petsafety.co.uk/

Mine wear their collars all day and have them off at bed time and if I'm going out, I had a near fatality one day when Spud caught his lower jaw under his mums collar, she spun round and the collar cut off her airway and trapped Spud's lower jaw so he couldn't get away, the collar was now too tight for me to undo the buckle, luckily I always have a pen knife in my pocket and I cut the collar off, by that time Celli had lost conciousness, she came round very quickly thank god, but if that had happened when I wasn't there I'd have had a dead dog.

Both Cliffy & Tessie wear their collars in the house, but

Archie doesnt. My Arch got himself in a scrap with some other dogs

the day before he was rehomed to me, and when it went sceptic he had to

have some surgery to sew him back up. As for the next year after that he

walked on a harness he never wore a collar.

he only got 'collared'!!, when he found he could back out of his harness

so now he walks on a collar, but through habit i take it off him after

he gets home from walkies

TRPD do a harness to prevent dogs backing out of them.

My cats don't wear collars - the longer haired of the two gets irritated by them and the other one gets himself in all sorts of trouble with his.

I used to use reflective ones on them as they are both black it helped with their visability.

My three wear their collars all the time and it doesn't seem to bother them.

I have just got Glen a collar for agility, as he can't have tags when competing, and it has his name and my mobile number embroidered on it.

None of my lot play wrestling games or anything, I guess with everything else in life, you have to way up the risks and make the best choice you can.

Mine wear their collars all day and have them off at bed time and if I'm going out, I had a near fatality one day when Spud caught his lower jaw under his mums collar, she spun round and the collar cut off her airway and trapped Spud's lower jaw so he couldn't get away, the collar was now too tight for me to undo the buckle, luckily I always have a pen knife in my pocket and I cut the collar off, by that time Celli had lost conciousness, she came round very quickly thank god, but if that had happened when I wasn't there I'd have had a dead dog.

I read something like this in a dog magezine too :( Years ago, Bonnie was laying flat on the floor and her tag went through the floorboards and it twisted round and went longways, she was stuck and started panicking and freaking out, luckily we were at home. Also, my friends dog has extra toes and nails on his back legs and sometimes he gets them caught in his collar and he panicks cos he can't free it, this also happened to a Cavvie called Bilbo that I used to groom, he got his caught in his ears and his owner thought he couldn't move his leg and rushed him to the vets :wacko:

Dogs playing can also get caught up in one anothers collars.

The reason I took my dogs off is the rattling they made at night when the dogs get up and have a shake, also Edie being very shorthaired, would lose her hair around her neck if they were kept on.

Interesting to hear what other people do x

I made our dogs house collars which have a strong elastic insert which if the collar got caught, it would stretch and pull off. This is because one of our old dogs got a collar caught on a pot hook and dragged a huge cooking pot around the house smashing one of is toes when he paniced

Ruby doesn't wear a collar in the house and neither did any of our dogs that came before her.

We're not a busy house so the liklihood of doors being left open just doesn't and hasn't applied in the 15 or so yrs that we've had dogs.

She can't escapre from the back garden as it's 6ft walled and she's built for comfort and nothing else. She is never ever left out there alone.