UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Snow's Nog Needs Good Thoughts **UPDATED** it's NOT cancer!

Wendbert

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've waited till now to log back on to see how Nog is.

been thinking about him all day and even talking to my lot

about how we need to keep Nog in our thoughts and that he

will be ok :rolleyes:

I must have sounded daft as a brush explaining it to my lot

give him a gentle :wub: on the nose from all us here

So pleased that his bad news wasnt terrible news making

it good news (i think) :wacko: :unsure:

Hospital rang, giving us more details of whats going to happen today and some information about what happens when he comes home and his long term recovery. The big thing today will be the outcome once the hock is examined, the original x rays seem to show 2 breaks so the bones will probably be screwed however it is likely that his Achilles tendon will have been damaged as well, if thats the case the tendons will have to be stripped away and cannot be repaired. The hock would be fixed into a frozen position which would mean Nog would then be mechanically lame for the rest of his life. mecry.gifHe would be pain free and able to run and jump again but would have an odd gait and possibly walk with a limp.

After they have operated he wont be allowed to come home until he has come round fully from the GA, walked on the leg, eaten, drunk, wee'd & poo'd so he could be in for a few days depending on how well he comes thru the GA.

Once he comes home he'll be splinted and bandaged but should be able to weight bear on the bad leg - the splints and dressing will need to be changed twice a week - I was so busy taking this all in I didn't ask just who would be doing the redressing/splinting and am hoping to god it's not me! wacko.gif I am fecking useless at bandaging. After 2 weeks it'll change to weekly and after 6 weeks there will need to be more x rays to see how well the bones have knit together and whether the splinting can be discontinued.

He is not to do any running or jumping of any kind - so no stairs and no furniture wacko.gif we will be given an exercise routine so it seems hopeful he will at least get a walkies even if only 5 mins.

We have been talking about how to manage when he comes home as we both have to go back to work next week, stairgate is a must now and we'll probably confine him to the kitchen when we're out so he has a bit more space but isn't at risk of getting on the furniture. If thats the way we're going to go we'll build up to it as soon as he's home by going out for 10 mins 20 mins etc just to reassure Nog and us that all is fine.

It's going to be a longgggg road ....