UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Woman Killed By Stampeding Cattle While Walking Dogs :-(

ReikiAnge

how awful for the woman and her family :mecry:

I never knew Cows were so unsettled by dogs and have learnt a lot from this thread , I am sure this ladies tragic death will be a lesson to many people like myself

I think this is the main problem. People just do not realise the dangers.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the main problem. People just do not realise the dangers.

If you look at the figures, most of the 28 people killed by cattle in the UK over the last 10 years have been farmers, vets or farm workers. It's really quite rare for tourists or dogwalkers to be killed in this way, which is why it gets so much press when it does happen. This particular poor woman was a vet, too, so presumably had more experience than many with handling large animals, even if that wasn't her speciality.

28 deaths, each awful for those involved and their families, but a pretty small number really, and in only a handful of those were dogs involved.

(In case anyone is wondering why on earth I am so interested in this stuff, our local paper has been doing some 'safe farm' stories recently and they caught my interest)

It is very sad, poor lady and her family :mecry:

Just last week I went to a National Trust site to walk, on the way back and nearly at the carpark on a circular route we came to a field of cows, there were signs on the gate stating cows were in the field and they could be unpredictable. It may of been helpful to put this in the carpark as I had done a long circular route and Murf was not capable of having to do the whole walk again in reverse. Luckily I could see the cows a long way off and I specifically looked to see if they had calves, they didn't and we risked it, but I felt very uncomfortable, and I won't be going back.

If you look at the figures, most of the 28 people killed by cattle in the UK over the last 10 years have been farmers, vets or farm workers. It's really quite rare for tourists or dogwalkers to be killed in this way, which is why it gets so much press when it does happen. This particular poor woman was a vet, too, so presumably had more experience than many with handling large animals, even if that wasn't her speciality.

28 deaths, each awful for those involved and their families, but a pretty small number really, and in only a handful of those were dogs involved.

(In case anyone is wondering why on earth I am so interested in this stuff, our local paper has been doing some 'safe farm' stories recently and they caught my interest)

That doesn't include the many who have been seriously injured.

Incidently, the cow which charged David Blunkett did not have a calf.

He has spoken to the herdsman who is puzzled as to what caused the cow to react.

So it is not safe to assume that cows without calfs are safe.

Best to avoid all fields with cows.

Best to avoid all fields with cows.

I agree, with or without dogs. We have had several scary experiences with cows,not all when we've had dogs with us either. OH was on his own one day taking some photos, heard a rumbling noise and turned to see cows stampeding towards him. No calves were in the field. Luckily they were running uphill and he was fairly close to the gate, but it shocked him as up to then he thought I was overreacting to the potential risk. He even tried my cousin's ( farmer) suggestion of shouting at them while waving his arms to look bigger - it did stop them running while he was doing it but not when he tried to turn and leave.

We've also had a problem with scary stalking sheep near Penrith in Cumbria, and discovered later we were not the only ones.

28 deaths in ten years is more than double the tally of fatalities caused by dog attacks, if mps get hold of those figures we will have a dangerous cow act before we know it. :rolleyes:

accidents happen and will continue to do so regardless of warning signs, etc. we know about road safety but people are still run over crossing inappropriately to save a minute or two.

And dogs are obviously not as dangerous as cows despite having a law saying they are.

i think anyone, but particularly someone unused to being in the countryside should check out the dangers before they go and accept that any decisions they make to cross land containing livestock are their responsibility and not that of the farmer who farms his land every day of the year unaware from one day to the next if someone is going to come along and upset his cattle. as i said earlier the farmer may be liable for damages in some cases but when the damage is fatal that is no comfort. :(

I still don't think it should be beyond a farmer to put a sign up where practical ie a field where there is a public footpath. Even when they move the cattle about what's wrong with a portable sign that could be tied to the gate?

A lot of people do not realise how dangerous cattle can be and a good example of this is where I live. We have a public footpath alongside our drive and there is a small caravan park about a mile from us at the other end of the footpath. Most of the people that stay there come out of the city for their holiday break etc. I was at the bottom of the drive and there was a young couple with a dog and two small children who asked me exactly where the footpath started as the sign is at a funny angle and there is not a stile but a metal gate. I warned them not to go along the path as there was 30 young but well grown very playful bullocks in the field and they didn't seem to realise how dangerous that could be :( Thankfully they took my advice and I hope they remember what I said. I hate to imagine what may have happened if they had gone through.

Even when we would go out to the horses which is adjacent to the field they used to go mad and charge around. Nobody would stand a chance if they got caught up in that :(

Might be a weird and bizarre thought, but it's one I've had for a while :unsure: . I was wondering if cow 'attacks' have been worse since foot and mouth, when herds had to be replaced by those bought in from overseas. If so, could it have been that indigenous cows had been bred over centuries to produce an innate 'calmness' due to the traditions of footpaths / mixing with 'visitors', which was not needed in the countries that the new ones came from? I don't recall ever hearing about cow attacks until relatively recently (ie last 5 or so years).

Signs would be wonderful - I'm very prepared to avoid walking in fields with cattle, but it is frustrating sometimes to have to avoid walks where there *might* be cattle (but probably aren't).

The problem is that farmers round here seem to move their herds around quite frequently and the whole area is cross-crossed by footpaths and bridle paths, so some fields have several possible entry points. I simply can't realistically see a farmer putting up a whole pile of signs then moving them every few days.

Unless signs were 100% accurate it could end up being even more dangerous, as people might blithely set off across land assuming no sign means no cows.