UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Buying Or Rescuing.

Melp

I just feel disappointment when someone buys from a breeder. Often it shows a lack of imagination.

So if I want a dog that is as healthy as I can get by researching the breed and the breeder I lack imagination, I find that offensive.

At the moment I have a dog that has arthritis in all 4 legs and feet, in her shoulders and spine. She also has both crutial ligaments gone and a compressed disc in her spine.

Another has brain damage as well as serious heart problems. Another with a tracheotomy in and a Greyhound that has had an operation on his spine. Another who will be suffering from arthritis because both her back legs were broken, quite badly, and are not straight. After all this, it would be nice to have a dog that I can get more than 2 or 3 years from without serious health problems developing, the best chance I have for this is to go to a good breeder. but I will lack imagination if I do.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that a bit of a sweeping statement too, mum24dog :unsure: how can someone lack imagination because they want a particular breed of dog?

Should they just adopt any old staffie/greyhound/collie etc? surely someone should want a dog, regardless of whether its rescue or a breeder, because its fits in with their lifestyle? e.g. I don't think a husky would be a good choice for me because I work full time and live in a terrace house.

Why shouldn't someone want a pure breed?

A mongrel usually comes from people who havent had the sense to neuter their dog, are the most likely to be found straying and ending up in rescue. My heart breaks for that little black sh***** around the bins that can sit forever in rescue waiting for a new home. Yes I do love cross breeds but whilst everyone is slating the breeder that is breeding to better their breed of choice, doing all relevant health check etc remember the cross breed comes from places far worse, from people that have done no research in to breeding, have no idea what they are doing to rear a healthy puppy and usually couldnt give a dam where and who on their estate it will end up with as long as its gone.

I know where I would rather source a puppy from!!

So if I want a dog that is as healthy as I can get by researching the breed and the breeder I lack imagination, I find that offensive.

At the moment I have a dog that has arthritis in all 4 legs and feet, in her shoulders and spine. She also has both crutial ligaments gone and a compressed disc in her spine.

Another has brain damage as well as serious heart problems. Another with a tracheotomy in and a Greyhound that has had an operation on his spine. Another who will be suffering from arthritis because both her back legs were broken, quite badly, and are not straight. After all this, it would be nice to have a dog that I can get more than 2 or 3 years from without serious health problems developing, the best chance I have for this is to go to a good breeder. but I will lack imagination if I do.

You've clearly taken on more than your share of dogs in need & all credit to you for this:flowers: I can understand the desire for a spell without so many problems but to be fair just had to say that you can also rescue a healthy young dog who will give you the time without health problems that you deserve. No criticism intended here - I just wouldn't like any readers not familiar with rescue to conclude that all rescue dogs come with problems

I know what I want next time. I was supposed to have it last time but, I took a rescue that had already lost 2 prospective homes because she had a prey drive. I took on what I knew was a problem dog.

Next time I will get the one I want. I will do my damnedest to get it from a rescue. If I can't I will buy one. The breeder I will use is one I helped re-home a dog for recently who was in tears when the dog went.

She paid for the dog to be spayed before the new owner took her and the new owner got the 3rd degree.

You've clearly taken on more than your share of dogs in need & all credit to you for this:flowers: I can understand the desire for a spell without so many problems but to be fair just had to say that you can also rescue a healthy young dog who will give you the time without health problems that you deserve. No criticism intended here - I just wouldn't like any readers not familiar with rescue to conclude that all rescue dogs come with problems

Apart from Joe they were, as far as the rescues knew, all fit, healthy dogs when I adopted them, all the problems have shown up since. Yes you can get problems with pedigree dogs from a good breeder as well but the chances are a lot better for you not to get a dog with health problems.

Joe I took from his previous home with the intention of rehoming him but when I got him home and realised just how bad he was I couldn't but even then I didn't realise just how bad he was. The seizures and alergies didn't show up right away.

At the moment I am paying £140 a month for insuring my dogs, the problem is I have so many old ones, without this insurance Gracie, Merlin and Ellie wouldn't be with me now. It is money well spent, but it would be nice if it wasn't as much. :laugh:

I've got a cracking sense of imagination thank you and my dogs are not material items.

There are some dreadful "rescues" out there that shouldn't be operating with dogs stuck in awful conditions yet that's ok and we'll just tar all breeders with the same brush.

I just feel disappointment when someone buys from a breeder. Often it shows a lack of imagination.

A dog to me isn't a commodity to be bought and sold. I have nothing in common with someone who just has to have a particular breed,

I don't understand that point of view.

If someone wants a specific breed of dog and buys it from a breeder they lack imagination, but if they go to a rescue and say they want a dog of that specific breed, that is okay. :eh:

I want a specific breed because I have experience of that breed.

There are some dreadful "rescues" out there that shouldn't be operating with dogs stuck in awful conditions yet that's ok and we'll just tar all breeders with the same brush.

I think that's what makes me frustrated too. I hope I realise and understand that all is not black & white. Good breeders, bad breeders, good rescues, bad rescues etc etc. Off topic I know but I have run across the same view point with regards 'working homes' and yet when I open my gundog club membership brochures, there within are lists of rescues that you can approach to get your next dog. Same as when I open my copies of field sports magazines. In fact hardly a month goes by without The Field running an article on rescue cockers, springers or labs etc. Sometimes people seem to think they are the only ones spreading the word, it's not entirely true. Friends and allies of rescue dogs can be found in all walks of life. I sometimes wish people would put aside their own prejudices and embrace this more.

prejudices about enjoying killing animals? for sport?

no not necessarilly just that, prejudices about breeders in general, those who have bought dogs, horses, chickens or whatever AND prejudices against people just because of their interests or involvement in activities 'you' don't agree with. So if I am involved in something someone else doesn't like, or I buy a pup, that therefore makes me an evil person as a whole? I don't think so, in fact I know so. Not of course saying you or anyone else on here thinks that, or maybe 'you', 'they' do etc etc. I don't care quite frankly. I am in a happy position, well I think it is, to see arguments, view points and peoples input from many sides and not just one .....

Edited by tegk68

i don't know you and have nothing against you what so ever, what you do is entirely down to your own conscience, blasting away at reared pheasants and partridges is very sporting

however on an animal welfare site , I find it sad that people talk about field sports and people being predjudiced against them. I am totally utterly predjudiced against them, as highlighted by poisoned golden eagles this week, grouse shooting interests

Many people involved in responsible breeding are every bit as horrified by puppy farming and irresponsible breeding as anyone on this site. I've been on a non-rescue forum recently where someone had bred a litter without doing any health checks and where one of the parents had a dodgy temperament. She was villified, mainly by the breeders on the site, to an extent that would have made the reaction of people here look positively polite.

By tarring all breeders with the same brush I feel we are closing a lot of doors to potential allies against large-scale commercial breeding, which is where I feel the main problems really lie. Knock the puppy farms and BYB on the head and we probably wouldn't have a significant rescue problem.

I also think we have to be realistic in the message we put out to the wider world. Yes, I would absolutely and totally push the 'consider a rescue' message at every possible chance, but if someone has their heart set on a Cocker Spaniel puppy there is very little point trying to make them feel guilty about not taking a middle-aged Springer with issues - which they may not be able to handle anyway. Far better to point them towards a responsible breeder, I'd have thought.

A lot of people I've spoken to are quite suspicious of 'rescue' in that they have come across some very dogmatic attitudes and inflexibility that has done the cause no good at all.

prejudices about enjoying killing animals? for sport?

any old staffie/collie or greyhound?

I would buy a dog when there were none left in rescue

It won't come as a surprise I guess that I completely agree with Elricc.

To me, the importance of having a dog of a particular breed is totally secondary to any dog that sits there in a kennel, waiting for a home of their own. If that dog would be happy in the home that I can provide, and I have the possibility to adopt him then that dog is coming home with me, regardless whether they are black, white, spotted, striped, short, tall, pure breed or cross breed, simple as that.