UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Friend The Blacksmith - Filmed For The Bbc's Cranford Christmas Special!

ReikiAnge

Some of you will remember that I have been trying to help a friend of ours, who is a blacksmith, find more work. On Monday I had a call from BBC productions, they were down this way filming for Cranford, a period drama on TV. They had scenes including a blacksmith, so were looking for two real blacksmiths :)

I managed to persuade my slightly nervous friend that this would be a great opportunity, so today he spent the day "on set" and we went up to Lacock this afternoon to see if we could get anywhere near the set/spot him. Cool way to spend my birthday afternoon :cool:

We were really pleased to discover that you could walk around a lot of the village and get really close. They had barriers to stand behind when they were shooting, but you could take photos and then they'd let you know when it was ok to walk down a street etc.

We then saw our friend, all dressed/made up, which was very exciting indeed! :cool: They had to do the same thing over and over and I took some (lots) of photos for the website/our blogs etc., and thought I'd share a few here too :) Didn't get to see Dame Judi unfortunately but it was a great experience anyway and the village is always a beautiful place :)

The filming is the Christmas special, which is rather exciting and late afternoon/evening they were filming Christmas Eve and had a snow scene. Unfortunately we had to come home before that but I can't wait to see it on TV!

Anyway, the photos ...

Blacksmith, Lee

ACCranford2009030ii.jpg

"On set"

ACCranford2009058ii.jpg

ACCranford2009068ii.jpg

With the lovely horse and cart:

ACCranford2009086ii.jpg

ACCranford2009055ii.jpg

Street scene

ACCranford2009039ii.jpg

More of the horse and cart

ACCranford2009074ii.jpg

ACCranford2009079ii.jpg

ACCranford2009102ii.jpg

Different horse

ACCranford2009132ii.jpg

Turning what is usually a pub, into a store for the programme

ACCranford2009137ii.jpg

Some other shots

ACCranford2009107ii.jpg

ACCranford2009113ii.jpg

ACCranford2009022ii.jpg

and Rob and Mins heading to the lovely bakery before we went home (that is a real bakery! :laugh: )

ACCranford2009140ii.jpg

This made up for the earlier very wet birthday walk!

he can use it in his advertising and website, "as seen in Cranford" etc

Yes, that's partly how I convinced him to do it :biggrin:

I should think he'll only be seen for a few moments in the background of a scene, but it's very exciting anyway :) Just keeping everything crossed they use his bit!

He may also be commissioned to make pieces for future productions?Anyway a great opportunity for him - and the fact that you were approached shows someone has noticed his (your?) efforts.

also he can follow it up either with the BBC or the production company.

see if there are any other period dramas in the offing, or as Lynn said

commissioned to make up some peices.

With his name/number on file he might be getting a few calls, hopefully

he has made sure they have it.

The pics you took on set will be good too, if his appearance was all

too brief on film.

With his name/number on file he might be getting a few calls, hopefully he has made sure they have it.

They've got my number from when they called at the start of the week. I had the same thought about hoping they might have need of a blacksmith's work in the future as he can make all sorts of things to suit all sorts of periods.

Unfortunately he wasn't in a snow scene in the end I don't think as the dreadful rain kind of messed up the snow! :( Typically we've had LOTS of sunshine today :rolleyes:

What fantastic photos Ange :flowers: The set is fabulous, I want to go and live there :laughingsmiley:

Ruby has made them some period pencils, don't know if we will ever get to see them in shot but they really do go to a lot of trouble to get all the background details right.

Can't wait to see this one go out :thumbsup_still: