UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Constantly Getting Poorly.........

Tempest

Just need to let off a bit of steam and I know I've not posted for a while but have been feeling a bit down about everything for the last few weeks :(

I went back to teaching in January after working in publishing for about 4 years and am just feeling in a state of constant tiredness/illness at the mo :(

In the winter term I had a horrid cold/sore throat/chest infection that led to me coughing up blood and having about 10 days off from supply and eventually I lost my voice completely and the doctor told me not to teach for at least a week. Then this term it started 2 weeks before half term with a cold/sore throat - that then went into a terrible ear infection and I was off for 4 days and lost the hearing in that ear (still haven't got it fully back). I still felt grotty all over half term and didn't get much rest what with marking the optional tests and writing reports and my nan also passed away so we travelled up for the funeral and it was a really emotional time :( This week I've had a sore throat all week again while I've been teaching and last night noticed that my tonsils are all pussy and horrid :(

The doctor reckons it's just a case of building up an immunity to all the bugs in schools again but I just feel so exhausted from teaching at the moment and I feel like I'm not getting a chance to get better and then when I think I'm better the next bug seems to hit me a few weeks later.

OH and I were supposed to be away this weekend at a wedding and he's ended up going on his own as I just feel so tired/poorly that I really need to recoup myself for Monday and just couldn't face a late night and a four hour drive today :(

I think at the moment I'm just wondering if I'm just not cut out for teaching and all the stress/work that goes with it and if that's why I keep getting poorly?

If I count up the number of bugs/sore throats/colds/ear infections I've had since last September I must be at about 10 plus by now :(

I'm really just feeling a bit at the end of my tether with it all and not sure if there's anything I can take to help boost my immune system? I've also got an underactive thyroid and have been on thyroxine for about 10 years now and I take Centrum vitamin tablets every morning too. If I'm honest my diet isn't great in that I tend to get tired and then go for some sugar to give me a boost and get me through the day and I'm so knackered in the evenings that I'll often opt for just sticking a pizza in the oven rather than cooking something 'wholesome' and good for me. I've been out to Asda today and bought tonnes of fruit and veg for this week and am determined to eat more healthily in the hope that may help but I'm just wondering if there's any other supplements or things I can do to help.

I'm also starting to feel a bit worried that there's something 'underlying' going on as the amount of bugs I'm picking up just seems to be beyond what's normal - I'm really careful at school about washing my hands and using hand gels etc before I eat to try and cut the germs down but that doesn't seem to help either. I've spoken to my GP but he just seems to have dismissed it all as me just needing to build up resilience :err:

Rather than Centrium vitamins, get yourself along to the nearest healthfood shop and get some Floradix it will help with infections, and is a natural source of vitamins and iron, made from various fruits and herbs.

.....and a few of these also might help :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Has your GP taken any bloods to rule out any underlying conditions? You didn't say so, but if he hasn't then he's a flippin' disgrace :angry:

Nope I've not had any blood tests taken - I'm due for a thyroid blood test in July but I think that literally just checks the thyroid levels :unsure:

Last time I went to see my GP he was actually quite rude to me about the fact that I kept going back as my ear infection hadn't cleared up and basically told me not to come back again unless I thought my eardrum had burst :ohmy:

Think it comes with working in schools after a break. When I started at my school I went down with everything for the first year now I don't seem to catch much unless its a nasty stomach bug!! We have an NQT this year and she is constantly poorly too - so don't worry too much - although it could be worth trying the herbal immunity boosters suggested

I've been suffering very similar symptoms since Christmas - my GP has done blood tests and a throat swab for Glandular fever, but nothing abnormal detected :( He sent me away with a course of antibiotics, which haven't touched it, so I'm back to see him next week.

Might be worth persuing the Glandular fever thing though - if only to rule it out.

Might be worth persuing the Glandular fever thing though - if only to rule it out.

I had glandular fever once when I was at University - I think the GP mentioned it as an option but when he found out I'd had it in the past he seemed to think you couldn't get it twice :unsure:

Can you see another doctor, I don't know what I would have done if my doctor hadn't been so supportive when I had similar symptons :GroupHug:

I was told that glandular fever can lay dormant and you can get relapses anytime once you have had it. I know that if I catch a particularly nasty bug it goes straight to my glands and knocks me out.

Echo echinasure (sp?) I also find taking a vit B complex and iron tablets help me when I am low.

Hope you feel better soon :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I think at the moment I'm just wondering if I'm just not cut out for teaching and all the stress/work that goes with it and if that's why I keep getting poorly?

If I count up the number of bugs/sore throats/colds/ear infections I've had since last September I must be at about 10 plus by now :(

If I'm honest my diet isn't great in that I tend to get tired and then go for some sugar to give me a boost and get me through the day and I'm so knackered in the evenings that I'll often opt for just sticking a pizza in the oven rather than cooking something 'wholesome' and good for me.

What do you honestly feel about teaching? Do you find it unbearably stressful? It may well be that your body is telling you something. :GroupHug:

On the other hand, a good diet is crucial - a few supplements won't help much if you're not nourishing yourself properly. If I were you, I'd give it a month or so - improve your diet - and maintain it - try to get as much rest, fresh air and exercise as possible, and take a long hard look at what makes you happy. Think about why you changed careers - has it turned out the way you hoped?

And finally, if you're still worried about your health, ask to see another doctor. It may be that your immune system is just run down with all the stress and anxiety, of course. :GroupHug: