UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

Well done Billy, even a lot of us carnivores draw the line at making liver cake! I've made it once and that was enough! I'm sticking with tuna brownies instead.

Pleased Mal is eating it though, wtg Mal.

Edited by Nettie

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, also, book has just arrived in the post - thanks Wendybert! :flowers: :flowers:

You're very welcome :flowers:

I've not been keeping up on the board over the last few days, what with one thing and another, but even when I'm not here I'm still thinking good thoughts for Mal :GroupHug:

ETA, I've just remembered that I have a recipe for pilchard cake - less offensive to cook than liver cake!

2 large tins pilchards in tomato sauce

10oz flour (we use self raising)

2 eggs

milk to mix

Mix all together in a food processor adding enough milk to make a soft cake like consistency and bake in large shallow tray (lined with silicone or baking paper or you'll never get it out of the tin) at 160 degrees until firm - just like a sponge cake. Cut into small cubes Will keep in the fridge for up to one week or freeze

I've never known a dog that didn't like it and if you cook it in a small sized roasting tin, it's only about an inch deep, so makes small sized chunks when cut up. I expect you could replace some of the flour with some porridge oats or similar for a bit of bulk. I also add a teaspoon or two of garlic too :wink:

We are all healers, just that most of us don't recognise the fact. Carole, I believe that's what I said rather than that we can all do Reiki.

You're absolutely right Muriel, that is what you said and you explained in detail about Reiki and the need for attunement. I expressed it badly, my apologies.

Carole, I put a post on here somewhere with the link to say it is licensed here now and there are a few vets using it including ours. Our little Jan is on it for her lymphoma. It is available to vets through Ivy Medical Chemicals which is the company that John Carter set up to research and promote it :) Any animal that has no hope elsewhere should have the chance to try it and be given the chance. I have known about it for about 16 years and I have been praying for it to be available here as it helped some of my animals to live a life that nobody else could offer them. The story of Bramble on the blog spot is about my little dog who John Carter helped so much when I was told she had only weeks to live because of a very aggressive tumour in her bladder. At the time it was available for animals but John Carter was the only person allowed to administer it because of red tape :( I was over the moon to hear that it was licensed (January this year) at last. The license was actually granted in Hungary where the project was taken after John died and thus it became available here.

Thanks for that. The results I have read about are very impressive and its good to know that it is available should (God forbid) I ever feel the need to use it.

Not that great yesterday or this morning. :( Mal ate very little yesterday and at night spewed his whole dinner back up undigested. As a treat he slept pretty much the whole night, so I've had almost 8 (!!!) hours sleep - not had that in aaages!

But he just wanted to go out and threw up a load of bile :sick01: I'll see if he wants his breakfast and keeps it down in a bit, if the answer to either one is 'no' then I'll be ringing the vet's I'm afraid - just to see what they can do for him you understand!

Billy, I hope that what I say next doesn't come across as patronising, because I certainly don't mean it to.

Whether Mal has a liver tumour or a diseased liver, he is chronically ill and the relationship between the two of you is going to change all the time. There are going to be good days and there are going to be bad days. Try to enjoy the good ones and not cry or despair too much on the bad ones.

There are going to be days when you question your motives for the steps that you take, whether its for you or for him. He's obviously a fighter, only you know how much of a fighter he is. He may never give in, as Sooty didn't.

There are going to be days when it would be easier on you emotionally to let him go, rather than let him continue his fight, but you may choose to let him keep fighting while HE wants to.

There are many people here who know from bitter experience how you are going to feel, we can tell you how we felt, what we did, how we got through. We cannot advise you, because this is your fight, yours and Mal's, and nobody else's situation has been exactly the same.

I wish you both the easiest time possible

Little and often is probably best, but do remember that sometimes they simply need to use their energy for healing and not processing food so if he doesn't want to eat for a few days, don't panic - they can go weeks without food as long as they drink.

How well I remember those wise words, spoken to me so many times by Muriel. It's the hardest piece of her advice to follow and my reason for not wanting to follow it was exactly the same as yours. Afterall, food is life and strength, we are what we eat.

That's why the gloop did me as much good as it did Sooty. I knew it contained all the essential nutrients, so while she was taking it I could listen to Muriel and worry less that she wouldn't eat anything solid. He will probably eat, and keep it down, when he wants it.

The drinking a lot could mean that his blood sugar is a little raised, it happens. It will probably lower again. The liver has an influence on many of the systems in the body.

:GroupHug:

You're very welcome :flowers:

I've not been keeping up on the board over the last few days, what with one thing and another, but even when I'm not here I'm still thinking good thoughts for Mal :GroupHug:

ETA, I've just remembered that I have a recipe for pilchard cake - less offensive to cook than liver cake!

I've never known a dog that didn't like it and if you cook it in a small sized roasting tin, it's only about an inch deep, so makes small sized chunks when cut up. I expect you could replace some of the flour with some porridge oats or similar for a bit of bulk. I also add a teaspoon or two of garlic too :wink:

Well, you might just have "met" the first dog who doesn't like pilchards as such tho! A few days ago I swallowed hard and presented Mal with some pilchards in tomato sauce. He tentatively licked up the tomato sauce, but did he eat the pilchards? Did he heck! :ohmy: :rolleyes: :laugh: I might give the pilchard cake a go tho, because I know that it's something that at least the hooligans will eat ...

Thanks for that. The results I have read about are very impressive and its good to know that it is available should (God forbid) I ever feel the need to use it.

I'll be chasing my vet up about it tomorrow, thanx! :flowers:

Billy, I hope that what I say next doesn't come across as patronising, because I certainly don't mean it to.

Whether Mal has a liver tumour or a diseased liver, he is chronically ill and the relationship between the two of you is going to change all the time. There are going to be good days and there are going to be bad days. Try to enjoy the good ones and not cry or despair too much on the bad ones.

There are going to be days when you question your motives for the steps that you take, whether its for you or for him. He's obviously a fighter, only you know how much of a fighter he is. He may never give in, as Sooty didn't.

There are going to be days when it would be easier on you emotionally to let him go, rather than let him continue his fight, but you may choose to let him keep fighting while HE wants to.

There are many people here who know from bitter experience how you are going to feel, we can tell you how we felt, what we did, how we got through. We cannot advise you, because this is your fight, yours and Mal's, and nobody else's situation has been exactly the same.

I wish you both the easiest time possible

Thanks Carole, and no, I didn't think it's at all patronising :) I think I'm just finding my feet with the "different" Malcolm that I got from, say, about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure he was ill then, but it just wasn't noticeable, or at least no symptoms that could not be put down to old age.

Sometimes I see the 'old' Malcolm back, and at other times he really is a different dog, but I'm learning!

As for the comment about the vet, I was merely thinking if they would be able to give him any kind of stuff that would either make his stomach feel better, or otherwise give him a nutrient boost, like they do with dogs who have, say, a gastro enteritis bug and who cannot keep food down. I'm NOT considering PTS at all, if that was the impression that I gave! Mal's eyes are still alert and his tail is still wagging a little too often for me to even contemplate that! :flowers:

How well I remember those wise words, spoken to me so many times by Muriel. It's the hardest piece of her advice to follow and my reason for not wanting to follow it was exactly the same as yours. Afterall, food is life and strength, we are what we eat.

That's why the gloop did me as much good as it did Sooty. I knew it contained all the essential nutrients, so while she was taking it I could listen to Muriel and worry less that she wouldn't eat anything solid. He will probably eat, and keep it down, when he wants it.

The drinking a lot could mean that his blood sugar is a little raised, it happens. It will probably lower again. The liver has an influence on many of the systems in the body.

I must admit, I've not been brave enough yet to concoct The Gloop :sick01: I think I might keep that as a last resort, no offence Carole! :)

The latest: so far so good: Mal has kept all his food inside him today!!!

Wendybert, he kind of accepts a bit of baby food beef stew, but I think that he thinks that the vegetable content is still too high .... :rolleyes:

I am am talking a lot about it Carole to folk as I just want people to be aware that there is some hope elsewhere. I always hope that vets will take it on board and try it and of course it's up to the owners whether they do or not.

It is pretty inexpensive to use also-it's not like it is going to cost the earth which I think is wonderful :)

All too often we hear of new treatments but the costs are sometimes so ridiculous that people cannot afford to do it and I think that is such a sad situation when an animals life is hanging in the balance :(

I still have Mal very much in my thoughts Billy :wub: It is so difficult when you are struggling with their appetite. :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I'm NOT considering PTS at all, if that was the impression that I gave! Mal's eyes are still alert and his tail is still wagging a little too often for me to even contemplate that! :flowers:

No, I didn't think that for a minute, not even a second.

When Sooty was ill, particularly towards the end, it was so hard to see her so ill, but I knew she wanted to keep going, so I let her. It would have been far easier, physically, mentally and particularly emotionally, to take the decision out of her paws and stop her suffering, but I let her have control of her life.

When she had the stroke, about 3 weeks before she passed, I cannot describe how bad she looked. Any vet would have recommended pts and for some dogs that would have been the right advice. But something inside me told me she was still there and still fighting, so more Reiki from Muriel and arnica and four days later although she couldn't walk properly, she looked much like her usual self and she certainly made it known that she was still in charge.

Nothing in my life has touched me the way that Sooty did and to go through her illness with her was very harrowing, there were times when it would have been less painful to make the decision for her and let her go.

I must admit, I've not been brave enough yet to concoct The Gloop :sick01: I think I might keep that as a last resort, no offence Carole! :)

No offence taken, Billy. I'm not even a vegetarian, let alone a vegan and worked in the food industry for nearly thirty years, seeing many yukky things along the way. Nonetheless, making the gloop was quite a vile experience for me sometimes. But it did help her, which is why I persevered with it.

You take your time, when you need to, you'll make it.

We're all right here for you Billy and anything I or anyone else suggests is just that - a suggestion for you to use or toss as you feel fit, none of us know Mal as you do and believe me, when it's my dog refusing food I too have great diffiiculty remembering that they can quite easily survive for weeks without :wink: You will know what Mal needs and when he needs it, just go with your gut and remember that it's mal telling you that you're hearing.

Reiki continues whether I get on here or not.

Quick update: Mal has been okay-ish. The only thing he now does want to eat is liver cake, I really had to encourage him this evening to even have a bit of duck - although he does appear interested in food :(

Best news is though: my STAR of a vet has pulled out all the stops, and we can go and collect a supply of CV247 from a vet in Oswestry tomorrow!!!! :) :) :) This really is Mal's only chance at getting better, even for a while - so I'm both well excited and well nervous.

Ange, houndwoman, and anyone else who has or knows someone who has experience with CV247 and the diet, if you can please tell me everything you would like to share! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Ange, houndwoman, and anyone else who has or knows someone who has experience with CV247 and the diet, if you can please tell me everything you would like to share! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Billy, I don't have any experience of using it (thankfully!) but I know of someone who is using it for their dog - if you PM me and remind me of your email address, I'll ask them to get in touch, I'm sure they won't mind :flowers:

I am pleased to hear that you can get Mal on the CV247 :circle:

I can't remember now whether the details of the diet were in the link that I sent you. You should have a diet sheet anyway when you get your supply, if not let me know and I will get one to you asap!

I think you are probably getting it off Barbara Jones the vet there as I know she is one of the first four vets to be using it though I am sure there are more by now!

Our little Jan is doing fine and she was diagnosed with T-cell Lymphoma 6 months ago. It's easy to administer but you must have Linus Powder to mix it with but I am sure all that will come with it. If not. again let me know as we have some here you can have.

Good luck :GroupHug:

Keep fighting Mal :wub:

Billy, I don't have any experience of using it (thankfully!) but I know of someone who is using it for their dog - if you PM me and remind me of your email address, I'll ask them to get in touch, I'm sure they won't mind :flowers:

Have PM'd you :flowers:

Billy I use a supplement in Sri Lanka for our puppies/poorly dogs its a gel/paste packed full of vitamins and minerals

I buy it via my UK vet and I can dig out the invoice to get more deatails if you would like to try it

I am keeping you and Mal in my thoughts daily :GroupHug:

Yes please! :) I'm sure Mal has had it before - does it come in a big syringe type thing? If so I know what it is, but I can't remember what it's called. :rolleyes:

I am pleased to hear that you can get Mal on the CV247 :circle:

I can't remember now whether the details of the diet were in the link that I sent you. You should have a diet sheet anyway when you get your supply, if not let me know and I will get one to you asap!

I think you are probably getting it off Barbara Jones the vet there as I know she is one of the first four vets to be using it though I am sure there are more by now!

Our little Jan is doing fine and she was diagnosed with T-cell Lymphoma 6 months ago. It's easy to administer but you must have Linus Powder to mix it with but I am sure all that will come with it. If not. again let me know as we have some here you can have.

Good luck :GroupHug:

Keep fighting Mal :wub:

It is Barbara Jones indeed! The details of the diet are in the article, will study that as soon as HRH Malcolm gives me a few minutes off ...

Mal was diagnosed with T-cell lymphoma 21 months ago now and has been doing fine up to 2 weeks ago :( Would you mind me mentioning your little Jan to my vet, as she's done some research and said that she could find no case studies with dogs with lymphoma :)