UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Excessive Licking - Advice Needed

merledogs

Max has over the past week or so started licking excessively. Mostly he's done it to my wallpaper (where I now have several bald patches) :angry: but I've also caught him licking the side table.

I am at a loss as to why he's started doing it and am wondering whether there could be an underlying cause. Does anybody know why he might be doing this? :flowers:

Definately a stress behaviour but they can be self gratifyhing too. Licking is a calming thing. Can you give him some extra kongs with things in to try and deter the behaviour aided by spraying areas he has been licking at with something like bitter apple. And make sure he has a hidey hole to go to if needed. Also, I know that you have been studying and working hard. Does he do it when you are home, and when you are out? I know Neo learns very quickly if he does something 'wrong' he gets attention for it, so he will keep repeating it. :rolleyes: I now have to ignore lots of naughty behaviour so that he doesnt 'win' :rolleyes: Wonder also if he is picking up on any stress from you? Are you overworking and not chilling enough? :unsure: Failing that he likes the taste of your wallpaper or is telling you he is missing your DIY :D

Can he be stressed about something? How long has he been doing it for. Could fireworks have caused him to start doing it. Or possibly he's in pain. If it's not separation anxiety.

I did wonder if it was firework related, but odd how he's only done it this year and not before.

How old is Max?

About 7 ish :flowers:

Can you give him some extra kongs with things in to try and deter the behaviour aided by spraying areas he has been licking at with something like bitter apple.

Does he do it when you are home, and when you are out?

Wonder also if he is picking up on any stress from you? Are you overworking and not chilling enough? :unsure:

He doesn't lick the same area twice though, he's licking a different place every time, so spraying the area wouldn't have any effect :rolleyes:

He does it when I am home and when I'm out. I've caught him doing it several times today while I've been here.

I also wondered about whether he's in pain, cos he is a brave soldier and he never complains so I never know when is in pain with his back (he has Lumbosacral Disease) :(

He may be picking up on stress from me, but I can't see why it's started at this particular time :unsure:

If it is fireworks that's brought it on am hoping he will stop soon, if not then I will take him to the vet.

I sympathise because boggy my old greyhound took to digging holes and eating soil out of the blue. I got a few tests run at the vets to check for any deficiencies in his diet, I hadnt changed his food or routine.... he just likes eating soil i think :unsure: I do think sometimes it just becomes a habit though. Benson likes licking his dog bed. my garden is a mess, my dog beds are soggy and Im as much in the dark as you are :flowers:

Well he seemed to get a bit better for a couple of days, then this morning I went outside and caught him chewing a hole in my wooden love seat. Then he tried to chew on a lump of concrete.

Took him out for our walk this morning and he was very subdued. Normally he's running round with the rest of them, but he was just plodding along very slowly, as if he was in pain. I thought it might be his lumbosacral disease so decided to dose him up on Metacam and then take him to the vet on Monday.

However, I then noticed that he kept trying to pee but nothing was coming out. He actually squatted at one point, which I've never seen him do in several years of having him (he always cocks his leg). Then I remembered that I noticed yesterday morning that he had a bit of dribble on his winkie which looked very concentrated. We have also had accidents the last couple of nights but I never knew who it was, so presume it must be him.

So I think we've sussed it, he has a urinary infection, poor soldier. After some googling for natural remedies, I have given him some organic apple cider vinegar which I had in the house. If that doesn't work I will try natural yoghurt/cranberry juice and then take him to the vet.

Bless him. :GroupHug: I hope the cider vinegar works for him. I know that hoomans take cranberry juice for these kind of infections too. Might be worth looking at for dogs too. :) At least this is a possible explanation for why Max has not been himself recently. I hope it resolves the licking behaviour once he is better. :GroupHug:

Give him a gently ear tickle from me please :wub: