UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

You could always see how you go and get the conversion kit later if you think it's necessary :flowers:

That is a very bright idea, thank you! :flowers:

Eglu will be here tomorrow, but is apparently missing the panel from the end of the run. Omlet sell replacement panels for the two other shapes, but not the eglu by the look of it, so we will be manufacturing a suitable replacement.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, next question. What do you keep in your chicken first aid box?

I know that I need to get wormer and red mite treatment. The trigene that I use for the rabbit housing also seems to be OK for chicken housing. There seem to be an awful lot of things that I could have "just in case" but what do I really need?

I made up a hoooge first aid kit and I've only used a fraction of it.

Stuff I Use

Frontline flea spray (works on scaly leg mites as well as fleas and mites)

Flubevet worming powder

Barrier louse powder

Barrier red mite powder

Gentian Violet spray for cuts

Ukadex ( seriously honking spray to deter any bum peckers)

Stuff I Haven't used but glad I've got it.

Coxoid ( for the treatment of Coccidosis )

Ficam W ( serious stuff for killing red mites in the coop)

Respite ( for coughs)

On top of that lot I also use stuff thats a herbal tonic that goes in their water and powdered calcium that they get occasionally if they have soft shells, I'd also suggest trying to get a luggage weighing thingy, it has a hook on one end that you weigh your suitcase on for going on planes, it's been invaluable for weighing out food when using worming powder.

As well as some of the above - in my used a lot box I have Diatom powder - dust it on the chooks like talc and rub into their feathers and round their bots. Also use it to dust round the coop and run to keep bugs at bay.

Nutri drops - high vitamin drops which perk up a poorly chook really quickly.

The anti peck spray stuff is a must when you first get new chooks as they can be pretty vile to each other and there's usually one that gets really picked on until they all settle down.

Apple cider vinegar to go in the water.

A farming friend of mine gave me a huge amount of Ivomec and that's what I use on the girls if I spot any visitors. It can be used as a wormer but I prefer Flubenvet because there isn't an egg withdrawal period. Other things I use all the time are red mite powder (not because we have red mites but because I like the smell!), Diatom & Apple Cider Vinegar.

One of our Poland chicks is definitely a girl :pinkie: The one I thought was gold laced, then decided it was crele has turned out to be cuckoo and cuckoo girls & boys have different barring so I'm thrilled she's definitely a girl. I think her name is Badger :wub:

The idiotic Brahmas have managed to hatch some Orpingtons. A buff was out first, then a lemon cuckoo, a black splash in the night and the remaining one is white but that's pipped and is on it's way. The Brahmas are such hard work, despite their size they still lose a lot of fertile eggs by letting them get cold. The white is late because it's one that I found out of the nest about ten days ago. When I candled it it was amazingly still alive so I shoved it back under them and hoped for the best! The lemon cuckoo has survived against all odds. When the eggs arrived it had a hairline crack which I sealed with nail varnish. I couldn't believe it when it started to develop and I was prepared for it to fail along the way but it didn't. Yesterday I noticed it had pipped at the wrong end. Progress was slow and it didn't seem to be able to get out so I helped it along last night. Poor thing was exhausted and a bit later I found it half hanging out from under Bridget, stoney cold and nearly dead. I warmed it up under a heat lamp and it spent the night recovering from the hatch in the garage under the lamp. This morning it was bright and perky and was immediately accepted by both mums :wub: I do love having chicks around :wub:

Oooooo and please wish Molly luck in her quest to incubate an egg in the airing cupboard :laugh: I bought some white Cochin eggs for Maggie May, our Pilkie who has been broody for about a month now. I keep turfing her out the nest box but she's very determined so I've given in and got her some eggs. She's quite small and can't sit on six eggs so we had one egg left over from the six I got on Ebay. I haven't got my incubator anymore so I was going to bin the spare egg but Molly wants to try incubating it in the airing cupboard. I've told her it's her responsibility to turn it three times a day and after five days I'll candle it along with the rest of Maggie Mays eggs. If Mollys is fertile and growing well it can then take the place of any clear ones under Maggie. Molly wants to try keeping it going for the full 21 days but I said if we can at least get it started off it's got a much better chance with MM than in the cupboard.

Good luck Molly (and please don't tell her that I read half your message wondering what sort of chicken Molly is and whether she would be fed up sitting in the airing cupboard :laugh: )

I do have ivomec here for the rabbits, but wouldn't have a clue how to use it for chickens. Apart from that, I am building a nice shopping list.

I've just been reading about the Ukadex, sounds vile.

Oh, you have noooo idea how vile it is, if you can imagine a manky pub ashtray concentrated 100 times, then your getting close, if you do get it, what ever you do, don't wear any clothes you are remotely fond off, you will get it on yourself, and your clothes will stink for ever and ever.

Good luck Molly flowers.gif

Baby Orpingtons are soooooooo cute :wub: They're big bruisers in comparison to the bantam Poland chicks :laugh: Bridget & Francesca managed to hatch all four that got to full term :biggrin:

When you can't decide which Brahma to call Mum and to cuddle up to, settle down in between them both :wub:

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All of the Cochin eggs were infertile :angry: But by amazing coincidence my chicken keeping friend in Swindon had a glut of Cochin eggs on the go :biggrin: He bought 6 on Ebay for one of his broodies but when he paid he realised the auction was for 12 eggs and the seller then sent 3 extras so he gave his broody 6 and put the rest in his incubator. He said I could have the incy ones, they weren't brilliant though and just 3 hatched on Sunday. I collected them last night and one of them didn't seem quite right. I took Maggies clear eggs away and replaced them with the chicks when it was dark and crossed my fingers she'd be quite happy with her new arrivals this morning. I then couldn't sleep for worrying about them so got up early to check :rolleyes: The poorly one had died in his sleep :mecry: The other two are ok though, we've got a blue and a splash. I got a text message this morning to say another splash has hatched too :biggrin: My friends bus passes through Faringdon on his way to work so tomorrow morning at silly o'clock I'm meeting him at the bus stop in town so he can handover the chick :laugh:

Maggie May has so far refused to come out of her coop this morning but the chicks are under her so I'll leave her to come out in her own time. I'm dying to take photos!

• 1 month later...