UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're very lucky girls :wub:

My ex-batts are stood out in the rain today :wub: I find the pure breeds are wimps and run for cover at a light shower but the ex-batts just don't care.

I've booked the weekend off work so that I can be at home when my eggies hatch :biggrin: Frizzle Pekins, Silkies and some green/blue egg laying mongrels due on Saturday in my new super fantastic incubator. Very excited :pinkie:

3 chicks out so far :biggrin: I'm quite surprised as it's only day 19 and two of the hatchlings are LF. Lots of the eggs have pipped and I've seen all but one of them wobbling. It was tough getting the girls out of the house to go to school this morning because it was clear at least one would hatch soon. The first two popped out at virtually the same time at 9.30am. I expect the girls will get to see some hatch later. It's sods law isn't it? I deliberately made sure day 21 was on a Saturday so we'd all be here to see it and they turn up early :rolleyes: :laugh: I think it's a testament to my lovely new incubator, it holds it's temperature & humidity so well, conditions inside must be near enough perfect.

I took a video of the first two this morning, will hopefully upload it to Youtube later.

My chooks are 2 years old . If anyone wants hens why not think rescue contact the Battery Hen Welfare Trust and rehome some ex bats. Its very rewarding these poor hens have never done real henny things, never dust bathed, never seen the sun or felt it on their bodies, they come out of the battery with pale large combs, some have few feathers and they look pitiful. After a few weeks they soon find their feet they still lay eggs and have a real zest for life.

Nearly all the eggies hatched, 14/16 which I was chuffed to bits with :biggrin: 3 Silkies, 5 Pekins (3 of which are frizzled) and the rest are mongrels, all very pretty though. No idea how many are girls or boys yet but one of the Pekins if it's a boy will be spared the usual fate and will be living the life of riley with his own hareem of ladies at my friend Tonys house. So pleased about that. They all spent a few days indoors so I could keep a close eye on them but they're now all out in the garage. They look a bit miffed when they see me, as if I'm disturbing them :laugh:

Here's a few mugshots from when they were a day old:

12 of the 14:

IMG_4276.jpg

This one is a bit special because it needed a lot of help to be born :wub:

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

I know it's blurry but I love the expression on the face of the gold Silkie in the background :laugh:

IMG_4308.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been a long time since I posted on here so first a quick update. Cora remained cream so could be identified easily but the other 3 merged to the same colour, shape and personality so could not really tell them apart. One of those died in her sleep in the summer, then a week later another was very poorly and had to be pts. This left Cora plus one but I was not sure which one. Mum was staying at the time and she suggested calling the remaining brown one Chum so then it was Cora and Chum strutting round the garden together. Last week Cora was a bit off colour on Thursday and died Friday lunchtime, leaving little Chummy on her own.

Yesterday I picked up 4 ex batts to keep her company. Got them back here last night. Have made up a nestbox with a big varikennel surrounded in bubble wrap and then a plastic sheet round that with an old mat hanging in front of the door - they will be living in this until they are ok with Chummy (?and she is ok with them!). She saw them this morning and then she and one of them were trying to have a fight through the fencing I have used across the pen! She is strutting the garden now and the new ones have settled down a bit so later will try to integrate them...... easier to introduce a new bull breed into the house!Not sure what make they are but they are scary! Ghost faces plus 2 have major attitude.... they are bigger than Chummy!

Anyway - looking bedraggled in the pics as it had been raining and of course they stayed out in it, but thought it might calm them down a bit so left them to it. 1 is darkish, 1 is lighter and then there are the 2 currently medium colour with attitude! call those 2 the Zombie Twins going by their looks and demeanour.

Any suggestions on their breed gratefully received!

chickens004.jpg

chickens001-2.jpg

chickens002-2.jpg

:wub: They're hybrids and that type goes by many different name, ISA Brown, Gingernut Ranger, Goldline etc etc etc. They're a Rhode Island Red crossed with a Light Sussex.

My ex-bats like the rain too, no weather condition bothers them. They're designed to be as tough as old boots :wub: The Brahmas on the otherhand absolutely hate the rain and are not enjoying today :laugh: