UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about Doris :GroupHug: Seven is a very good age.

I've got broodies coming out of my ears. Tiger Lily has seven chicks (Frizzles & Pekins) due at the weekend, Nelly has three Wyandottes due in two weeks and as from tomorrow Francesca Brahma will have seven FW Marans eggs and 6 buff Orp eggs to sit on :biggrin:

I have just got my 3 new girls settled in- found a very nice couple close to me and went to see what they had and have now got 1 gold laced wyandotte, 1 blue silkie and 1 blue pekin, and most importantly derek has got his mojo back laugh.gif

I'm very pleased for Derek :laugh:

I hatched a blue Silkie in February. I thought it was a girl, I'm now beginning to think I was wrong :rolleyes: I blame Daisy :laugh: Every chick that she has named a claimed as hers since last summer has turned out to be a boy. This is her Silkie so it's bound to be :rolleyes:

Erm...... I dunno :whistle:

Mrs Pants

Pancake

Eliza

Tallulah

Valerie

Primrose

Maud

Meredith

Peggy

Bianca

Tiffany

Bridget

Francesca

Robin

Poppy

Egeltine

Nelly

Tiger Lily

Hobnob

Custard

Sausage

Maggie May

Olive

Doris

Angelina

Righty so that's 25 permanent residents if I've counted correctly :ohno02: It doesn't look that many when I'm sat out there with them :laughingsmiley:

In the garage in my chick pen I have two gold pencilled Hamburg girls that are for sale, a frizzle Silkie young lad who is going to a new home on Sunday, a blue Silkie that I can't decide what it is, another blue Silkie that has wonky feet and if it's a girl will have to stay plus two Speckled Sussex chicks one of which will be for dinner and I'll probably sell the other one because I need another chicken like I need a hole in the head :laughingsmiley:

Tiger Lily has seven eggs due this weekend, Nelly has three and as of this afternoon Francesca has 13.

Tiger has five babies so far and the other two are on their way :biggrin:

The first two arrivals:

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Five babies:

IMG_1625.jpg

Tiger shepherds one back in:

IMG_1630.jpg

Clever Tiger:

IMG_1627.jpg

Our other expectant mothers, Nelly:

IMG_1598.jpg

and Francesca:

IMG_1597.jpg

Mrs Pants sunbathing outside the maternity ward:

IMG_1594.jpg

Peggy sunbathing under the plum tree:

IMG_1613.jpg

Omlet and Practical Poultry are the sites I use the most. Nobody should hatch unless they can either keep the resulting boys or cull them themselves, it's incredibly hard to find good homes for boys. I've only ever managed to rehome three boys. It's great hatching chicks but dealing with the boys is not pleasant at all. And there's always a chance that every egg that hatches is a boy!

Omlet

Practical Poultry