UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

Oh dear! Tiger Lily did the same to Henry at the weekend, he was stood too close to her coop for her liking so she went at him all guns blazing. She's broody too.

Graham, who Tiger Lily & the baby Brahmas came from, has offered noisy Lily Pie a home. She laid yesterday but I was out all day so I don't know how noisy she was. Wednesday she was atrocious! If she's not quiet over the next few days she'll be going to live on his stud farm on Monday. I'll still get to see her and hear about all her antics and best of all next year I'll be able to hatch out Brahma Pies because she'll have a gold Brahma for a husband :wub:

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, have there been complaints about her cackling ?

A couple of mine are very noisy, but it doesn't bother our neighbours, one side have hens themselves and the other side are Maud and George who have been involved with farming all their lives so they're used to the noise, and I keep them sweet with eggs every week.

None of the cowards around here would ever speak to me about it, they just go direct to Environmental Health :rolleyes: He hasn't contacted me but I know she's too noisy, I know a cockerel would make less noise! Who knows, if she does quieten down as she matures she could come back but otherwise I know she'll have a great life with Graham.

Chaz has realised Forrest is another cockerelunsure.gif It's ok though, Forrest can outrun Chaz (by miles) and he can also fly onto the fences so Chaz has no chance of getting himlaugh.gif It's actually a good combination and much better than the Dave/Chaz one where Dave had the upper hand and Chaz couldn't escape. Forrest still has his own fan club although I did see him trying to sit on our Pekin bantam and she protested quite loudly as she's much smaller than he is. He is growing up into a very handsome boy so I'll try to get some pics tomorrow for you.

I've taken some pics of my chicks so that you can try to identify their sexes but the pics aren't good - they seem to think that a camera is something evil and they must hide when they see it! I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow to post.

My incy eggs should hatch soon but so far, no sign of anything. I've candled them and they look promising but I don't like this new incy - despite it's claims I'm having to spray the eggs with water all the time to get the humidity high enough. We'll see.

Way to go Forrest :bigskate:

When I went out at 8 to tuck everyone in for the night, the two babies were sitting in the big coop, so I bit the bullet and got the biggies in there too, after Caroline being a complete cow and chasing them over and over again (none of the others were arsed in the slightest) I caught her and stuck her skinny butt into the baby coop :whistle: peace reigned, and when I went out half an hour later they'd gone in the coop :thumbsup_anim: .....of course I still have to get them ALL living together, but it's a start.

That bloody Kirsty's been at it again, you can bet that if there's any shenanigans going on then Kirsty will be in the middle of it. This time she's managed to hoik her fat arse up onto the waist high work surface in the cellar and nicked a whole tray of Blueberries !.....guess who'll have the squits.....and guess who'll be cleaning it up :dry:

I have a single gold laced Wyandotte bantam chick in my incywub.gif I hope more hatch soon cos this little one looks very lonely although it is very bright and chirpy considering it only hatched this afternoonsmile.gif Bet it's a boy cos it's feet look enormouslaugh.gif

Oh dear, looks like it might have been Cacky who was the blueberry thief, she's looking very sorry for herself this evening, tail down and sulking in the bushes, if she hasn't perked up by tomorrow I think someone will be getting their crop massaged.

Well bugger me if she isn't back to normal ! I just went out fully expecting to have to go look for her and cajole her into the pen, but she was there at the back door with the others, tail up, and looking for her supper....I think she needs a middle name, Lazarus springs to mind :laugh:

Cacky says thank you for her :GroupHug:

Two of my girls escaped into next doors garden. They'd been out a couple of hours and then my neighbour came round - she'd caught one and put her back over the fence. I had to go round and retrieve naughty Angel. I expect her partner in crime was Diva as those two are Trouble :ohmy:

Not sure how they got over but I've been having a google at wing clipping :unsure:

Question for you chooky experts - mine just don't seem that bothered by layers pellets - I swear that most of them end up on the ground, but they go absolutely nuts for afternoon corn and bedtime grapes. What do you feed please :flowers:

:laugh: Naughty chooks! My naughty one is Eliza, no matter what naughtiness it is you can be sure Eliza is there :rolleyes:

:partytime: Yay for the Wyandotte chick, I hope some more arrive soon :wub:

I don't feed pellets anymore, I feed grains. 4 parts whole wheat, 3 parts rolled barley, 1 part cut maize, a bit of bokashi bran and a dollop of cod liver oil added to it a few times a week. It took a bit of getting used to but now everyone is thriving on it. I ditched pellets for two reasons. One is that I feed by dogs BARF because I'm concerned about processed foods for them, and the same applies for the chooks, what the hell is in those pellets? Secondly I was having great difficulty ensuring everyone got the right food for their age group. It was hard balancing layers pellets with growers pellets considering most of them free range together. Growers shouldn't have layers pellets. I can't keep them separately until they can be on the same pellets so I looked into different ways of feeding. Grains suits us. The chicks start having a little bit of wheat from just a few weeks old so by the time they're old enough to free range they're on the grains diet too. It's a lot cheaper too! I buy my grains in 25kg sacks from my feed merchant and mix it up myself every morning in a big pink bucket.