UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6d9522cad96084df79d5d0041d129824.JPG54fca3687ad476d7905c3d7fb510d45f.JPG1a06e74a75192a418f0e0fa0bfb11f90.JPG34b67e148415357f3a967f7a5a065cae.JPG5d5580d62464f304ecaa1aaba0121d95.JPGdf1602fd0fc3c0f603ac612c6e418d48.JPG

Above are my new chicks (except Billy cos his pic didn't come out, unfortunately). Please can you help by trying to identify their breeds? I know I've got 8 birds in total (including Billy) and there are only 6 pics which doesn't help :lol:. The batteries on the camera weren't playing very well. Of the new 7 (excluding Billy) I've got 4 bantam chicks and 3 L/F chicks. I can remember some of the breeds but not all - I know I've got a Brahma chick and I know I've got more than one Pekin bantam chick, - oh, and there's a Rhode Island Red bantam in the mix somewhere! If you fancy trying to identify them, I'd be grateful.

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.flowers.gif

That looks like a really good forum, and rather swish too, best look out my party frock :rolleyes: still waiting to get verified.

I'll be phoning Ian the breeder this evening to make arrangements for Flump, I really don't want to keep him any longer as I'm just getting to fond of him, when I put all his other behaviours together ( much bolder than Moomin, hackles up when he's startled) and the feathering I think it's pretty certain as to gender, I'll just have to console myself with getting to choose another breed from Ian's large selection, as I don't know if he'll have another Dotte, I'll miss funny Flumpy :(

Well I fancy a lot of things, just don't know if they'll be suitable, I've always wanted Orp's, and Ian does have them, but don't think they'd get on with the Maran's, he has Dorkings too, I dinna really ken ! just have to see what he's got at the right age.

My Orps and Dorkings went through a horrid vicious spiteful teenage phase which made me hate them and look forward to eating them but now they're so sweet. Everyone loves Boris our black Orp and we'll be looking for a home for him, there's no way he can be eaten :wub: We'd love to keep him so Molly is praying he's mute :laugh: The Dorking boys follow me like lost puppies all around the garden and like to sit near me. I'd chose an Orp out of those two breeds.

I would choose an Orp too, but I keep getting told they are too soft to live with the two Maran's, what do you think ? they free range all the time in a huge garden, at the moment at night, the big girls go into their pen at eight for their corn, the babies stay outside and get their corn, then once the biggies have gone to roost at about half eight, the little un's go in, get shut in the pen and put themselves to bed, I can't see that there would be a problem :unsure:

Well I fancy a lot of things, just don't know if they'll be suitable, I've always wanted Orp's, and Ian does have them, but don't think they'd get on with the Maran's, he has Dorkings too, I dinna really ken !

A bit of a random chicken fact here, but you've just solved an interesting query for me. I work in Dorking every other week and I've wondered why there is a huge silver chicken in the middle of the roundabout at the end of the high street - I now guess that it's a Dorking!

I do rather envy you all, one day I'll have time and space for some hens of my own.

I think it depends on the individual hens - my Orpington hens are pretty stroppy when they're challenged by other hens. I know they're not babies but my Maran doesn't even look at them :lol: The black Orps are feisty but nearly as feisty as my Buff Orp laugh.gif My Maran girl is a babewub.gif

Oooooooh we have a new Indian Runner Duckling today (trout colour). He/she is adorablewub.gif

Edited by Katiebob