UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazy so and so's :rolleyes: I could hear and see movement from a couple of them yesterday. By last night there was still no sign so I candled again and narrowed it down to five live ones. One pipped just before I went to bed at 11pm. Got up at 3am to check on them and the humidity and found another pipped. By 6.30am all five had pipped, one has quite a big hole so I can see it moving around inside. So they should put in an appearance today, one whole day late :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm. The first lot I incubated, I ran it dry (ie I put no water in the incy, humidity was just what was in the atmosphere anyway) but I thought one of the reasons why I lost so many was because maybe the humidity was too low, it never got above 30% until I added water near the end. It needs to be around 65% once they've pipped internally. Too much humidity and they develop other problems. Rock and a hard place situation really :rolleyes:

Anyway, the folks on the chook forum thought humidity was too low so this time I've tried to ensure it's around 30-40% throughout. Turns out this was probably too high :rolleyes: For a start they're a day late. Don't know why.

First one out was fine. No trouble at all. A big, strong, healthy looking chick.

Second one needed a tiny bit of help. The membranes were sticky and it had a bit of bother getting the last bit of shell off. It hadn't absorbed all the yolk and it's navel was still slightly open.

Same story with chick 3. Thankfully their navels seem closed now. Those three are up and about now, getting fluffy and seem fine. Phew!

4 & 5 have been poking their beaks out all day. 4 had quite a big hole in it's shell and could almost poke all of it's head out. It felt sticky though and when I picked off some shell the membranes were stuck, trapping the chick basically. I took off what I could and left him to it. I did the same with 5. Both are out now, both had small amounts of yolk left. 5 is perking up nicely but 4 is exhausted. If I'd left him he would've died in his shell so I've given him a chance.

I know I'd said I wouldn't help any out of their shells but in this case I knew why they couldn't get out and I've done what I can.

I think they'll be ok. It's not like they've got their innards trailing out, they've not, and all seem to be doing better on dry land than stuck in sticky shells.

The remaining three eggs are dead. I thought they were a few days ago but I left them in just incase. I'm carp at candling late. Look at last time, I thought I'd be lucky to get one or two, I thought the others were dead!

So I've got five identical yellow chicks :wacko: I'll never tell them apart! I muddled up the Light Sussex & mongrel eggs so I haven't a clue who is who. Safe to say there are some Light Sussex though :laugh: Number 1 has a tiny black dot on it's head. The others are just yellow. Might go buy some leg rings.