UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

Can everybody please keep their fingers crossed for Little Miss NoName? She's done something very silly and I'm very worried about her. Last night when I checked on them before I went to bed the first thing I noticed was their feeder was on the floor. It had been hung up with some wool the previous day to a hook in the run, I couldn't find the cable ties I usually use for this kind of thing so I'd used some red wool instead, doubled over a few times. I guess because I'd re-filled the feeder yesterday afternoon and it was heavy the knot had loosened or the wool had broken. Anyway, the wool was hanging from NoNames mouth so I climbed in to take it away from her. But it was stuck. She'd managed to swallow some of it, I could see it had gone down her oesophagus and there was no way I could loosen it. Every time I pulled on it she screamed. After debating with Mr Hazell what we should do we decided to cut the wool as far back in her mouth as we could and just hope for the passes what she has swallowed. She was eating, drinking and playing with her siblings when I left her and seems fine again this morning. She can't have swallowed a lot of wool but any wool is not good at all. They're just like babies, they'll put anything into their mouths :rolleyes: I shall be inspecting their poo very closely and watching her like a hawk today!

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As promised to Egaltines new mummy, photos of Big Chicks :wub: Minus Wally who wouldn't pose nicely :rolleyes:

Egaltine!

DSC02879.jpg

Lily Pie

DSC02876.jpg

Poppy

DSC02861.jpg

Paxo looking thoroughly miserable!

DSC02856.jpg

He/She looks exactly like a Cuckoo Maran until you get to his/her neck where mums feathering obviously comes in :wub: Paxo is a very striking bird.

DSC02859.jpg

Robin, who made me cry today :wub: She's always felt special, ever since she was tiny she's been MY chicken. The only one I've loved this much was Catherine who died. Robin has now decided to grow some of the same pinky minky greyish feathers that my beautiful Catherine had. Catherine was so stunning, I never thought I'd have another chicken as stunning as her but Robin is putting in a good effort :wub: She's always at the front of the queue for cuddles, I can do anything at all with her.

DSC02851.jpg

Egaltines very pretty green eyes :wub:

DSC02844.jpg

Bo got in with the chickens!!! It was my own fault as I did not latch the gate properly behind me when I went in.

What did make me happy was that he was just standing next to me in there looking at them!!!! After all the bouncing around on the other side of the fence when we got them.

I just phoned the place I'm getting my hens from to see if they could give me a date when they would be ready......end of May, which seems aaaaages away, and unfortunatly the gold laced Orps haven't layed yet, so I will now be getting, 3 mixed Sussex, and a black and a blue Orp :biggrin:

4 eggs today!!!! There were 4 eggs in the first 24 hours after they came "home" but that was probably due to them being on the way out when I picked the girls up. Since then we seemed to have settled into the 1 egg one day, 3 eggs next day routine... then at the weekend we went to 2 a day...... so production is stepping up. The builder is happy - he says they taste great and he is working hard so they must be good eggs!!!

I had the fright of my life earlier :rolleyes: I went downstairs, walked into the kitchen and found Eliza & Juliet wandering around with Lizzie, Ella & Henryno looking very stunned! :laugh: The back door was wide open, there was a group of chickens peering over the doorstep and Juliet just seemed pizzed off there wasn't more food to be had on the floor :laugh: I was rather worried though because I don't trust Lizzie 100% around the chooks so held my breath while I did a headcount whilst simultaneously looking for a body :rolleyes: All 10 present and correct, if a little disgruntled in Juliets case :rolleyes:

None of the girls will admit responsibility for leaving the back door open and for not closing the fence properly :mad: