UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Chicken Thread.

phoebejo

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are, she's really pleased her eggs are doing so well. I'm definitely going back to her for Orp eggs in a few months :biggrin:

I hoped to get some half decent photos of the chicks this morning but it's so hard when they don't keep still! I put a blanket on my bed and sat there with them. For some reason they thought it'd be a great place to pretend to dust bath! Paxo started it and once they others saw they all joined in with his game :wacko:

Just uploading a few of the less carp photos :laugh:

Green egg showing off it's feathers:

DSC02221.jpg

Cute little tail on yellow chick :wub:

DSC02226.jpg

Cara preening. I swear it's a boy.....

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02238.jpg

More tiny tails:

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02242.jpg

Runty Robin is ready for her close up!

DSC02246.jpg

Something gold laced or blue laced in there????

DSC02248.jpg

Paxo chilling out with Molly. He's getting brown bits on his wings, looks like he's going rusty!

DSC02256.jpg

Yellow chick & green egg:

DSC02260.jpg

Various:

DSC02276.jpg

Carp photo but a good shot of the yellowy grey chicks markings. I have no idea what's in that one!

DSC02273.jpg

Green egg again:

DSC02270.jpg

Yellowy grey thing likes Georgia :laugh:

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02253.jpg

They are so cute :wub:

I get free range eggs from my best friends sister who has quite a few hens and I cracked one this morning for my breakfast and the yolk was about 5 times the normal size and really dark yellow with very little white. I didnt eat it as I wasnt sure what was wrong with it. Sorry slightly OT :huh:

the egg making tackle

Is that a technical term :D :laugh:

Thats fascinating about the dust bathing, I wonder if it's because the blanket is a dark colour and their little chooky numbskulls are telling them it's earth :unsure: , you could try it again with a pale colour and see what they do .

This has been cross posted on a few chicken forums and I know she'll not mind it being posted here too. The more people that know, the more likely it is that the birds will be found. These were stolen from Merrydale & Regency Poultry in Leicestershire.

Last night I had around 150 birds stolen

Please please if you are going to any sales over the next week or two please keep an eye out for the following

Trio barred dottes. (bantam)

Quartet of lemon cuckoo pekins

pair splash cochins

Quartet of cochins, splash male, blue, black splash hens (growers)

two white silkie cocks with 3 females

Black pekin cockerel with two blue hens and white silkiepoland.

Gold laced Poland cockerel. and chamois hen

Cuckoo male silkie with 2 blue/splash, two black and 1 cuckoo hens

Pair blue laced bantam dottes

one siliver pencilled bantam dotte (think this is when we disturbed them as they have left the pair in the pen

pair partridge dottes (bantam)

and we have also lost around 100/120 hybrids ( all around 15-16 weeks old)

sussex

sweeties (also known as ambers)

crested (also known as columbines, blue egg layers)

cuckoo marans

blue marans

snowbells (also known as white star)

copper blacks (similar looking to black rocks)

I have to say we are absolutely gutted, the dogs woke us up at around 2.15 this morning, I think if they hadnt of woken us up they would have taken the remainder (around another 150).

They had also dropped some of the birds, which we found dead in the fields with heads missing (foxes probably), and also some dead in the pens, from shock.

It is so saddening to think, that nothing is safe, it has taken me years to build up the pure breeds that I have just for somebody to come and take in one night, which no regard for the birds welfare. I wish I could say what i really think of them, but my posting may well be removed if I do.

IF ANYBODY SEES A LARGE SELECTION OF THE ABOVE IN A SALE PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME CALL ON 0116 2866160/07703 270359.

Day 15 today for my babies :wub: I feel like they've been around forever :laugh: They adore company so I felt bad about leaving them alone all day yesterday while we went to London so they've had lots of time playing out today. They love nothing more than to practise flying and flapping about :laugh:

What the **** is that???????? say Poppy, Paxo & Robin :laugh:

DSC02338.jpg

Beautiful Robin

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

DSC02317.jpg

Can you tell I have a favourite? :rolleyes:

Little no-name

DSC02303.jpg

Poppy & LilyPie having a rest on Daisys arm

DSC02359.jpg

Paxo being shy

DSC02341.jpg

Manly Cara :rolleyes:

DSC02342.jpg

Cara resting in the sun. Look at that comb!

DSC02321.jpg