UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

R M F - October 2008

Wendbert

I'll definitely look into that then. I find Who do you think you are fascinating. I'm guessing from public records you mean where folk were born and died? Mine are scattered all over the place.

I would love to be able to go right back. I watched a programme called Christina a couple of weeks ago. It was about a lady and her family from medieval times. They managed to piece her life together from info in records.

There's lots of information in public records in various places and formats but the information which is simplest at the beginning is obtaining copies of birth certificates. Your birth certificate will list your parents for example. From that, you can find their marriage certificate which will list their fathers and their occupations. From that, you can find their birth certificates, possibly their marriage certificates. And back you go. The certificates are about £7 a copy so I only order those I really need if I get completely stuck. Aside from that, and once your back past 1901, you can find LOADS of information on the census, telling you who lived where, with who, and what they did for a living. Even doing some basic searches on Genes Reunited will help you get started, I would hope.

I would have loved that programme! :mecry: I'm back to 1733 on my Mum's side.

Just seen Ange's post about finding grandparents marriage certificate without knowing where or when. If you know their names, you could hopefully take guess at the year they got married (assuming you could find out roughly when they were born). On www.ancestry.co.uk you can do searches (including countries and counties if you have the information), give or take two years, five years, ten years, etc. It'll give you matches based on the information you put in. Failing that, the people at the records office in the link above about certificates are really helpful.

If you want some help with getting started, I don't mind lending a hand.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I would find it really interesting, I just wouldn't know where to start really - nor do I have the time at the moment but shall look into it in the future perhaps. My maternal grandparents had a fairly unusual surname at least so that would be something I guess. I did look into it a little a year or two ago but didn't get very far. This was just online. How would you find a marriage certificate from your grandparents, for example, if you don't know when or where they got married? Or where they lived then? Or is that just not possible?

I would really love to find old photos of relatives in particular, that would be the most exciting bit for me. I'd really like to know about the relatives who went to the US too if that was true.

Very basically, you start with your parents birth certificates: that'll have your grandmother's maiden name on it, and an address. Then you can find them through electoral roll records... and they'll list the rest of the family with them... and their ages, and their locations and place of birth... and you just go back cross referencing all the lot (in case they fibbed or misspelled).

You can now access ships records for emigrating relatives to the US. I'm missing a relative in South Africa.. can't work out how to find him or when he went at the mo, but he's one of my black sheep of the family and i'm dying to know if he did disappear in disgrace or not :flowers:

Edited by Sherlock Bones
to say Kelly described the process far better than I did :laugh:

I've been going through my emails that I've not been able to access since my laptop broke last week. Just found this one from Paddy Mannion, the lovely vet who did Dolly's CT scans in Cambridge:

Made me feel a bit :mecry:

What a lovely email :wub: Missus Doodle was a bit of a special girl though :wub:

That means you partly belong to my family too because we are part of the world and that makes me feel lucky :wub:

That's what I was thinking too :GroupHug:

RMF: Muppet goes to the vet for his final vaccination tonight. We are somewhat excited about going to parks for walks as he is my only dog wot doesn't cause chaos. Yet :biggrin:

Asbo puppy alert

:ninja:

I've started researching our family tree but it all gets very complicated with divorced grandparents on both sides, my own divorce and having no contact at all with my dad's family. Plus both of my maternal grandparents are beginning to lose track of who is who and when what happened so it all gets very confusing :wacko:

We've had a really really lovely day so far :biggrin: The lovely Loobie Doo brought much needed dog food (that was nearly fog dood :rolleyes: ) and a very much needed larger crate for Branston Beans. Ungrateful swine is now sleeping on the duvet in the kitchen :rolleyes: My friend Sarah also brought the boys over and we've all had a luffly time :wub: Sophie has decided that Loobie (and the boys) need to move closer to Bristol because she luffs her :wub:

I have made a decision that I may need to remove my right foot from just above the ankle. My right ankle is the one I sprained last Christmas and it still plays up on a regular basis (especially in this horrible damp weather). My big right toe is the one I posted about hurting in the Stupid thread and it would appear to be broken. I also stood on something in the kitchen last night and so my right heel feels as if it has a needle sticking deep into it. Plus I have a verruca on that foot :rolleyes: My left foot is fine and dandy :laugh:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: Do you know what the circumstances were? That doesn't sound like Zara, does it? :GroupHug:

I don't know anything. Rebecca told Molly that Zara had bit her and that they were thinking of having her pts. I don't know anything else and can't ask because Rebeccas mum is at work. If they don't want her anymore because of it I'd understand, I doubt any rescue would want a dog that can't live with other dogs and has now bitten a child :mecry:

Oh no Cheryl :( I hope it was an accident :GroupHug: It does seem a bit odd because she's used to your girls.

RMHandsomeTaffyPics :

1-7.jpg

2-3.jpg

I love my beautiful boy :wub: :wub: :wub:

NB : Please note that two dog beds are required because obviously one is not soft enough :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by merledogs

Oh God Cheryl. :GroupHug:

Kelly & Dee you are inspiring me. I shall bookmark the links and start researching when I can afford all the £7's it's going to cost me. I haven't access to any records apart from my own birth certificate. :laugh: I do wish Martyn would do the same for his as I think it will be more interesting. No-one knows where Weber comes from. They're all a bunch of cockneys but it must be German or Swiss. We don't pronounce it the way you're supposed to as everyone gets it wrong so the family got fed up and said yeah yeah it's webba mate. :laugh: It's supposed to be veeber.