UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rspca Pull Out Of Crufts.

raiye

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In its usual manner, the RSPCA is showing its hypocritical self.

On the one hand, it condemns breeders putting a healthy puppy to sleep yet it puts hundreds (possibly thousands) of healthy dogs - including puppies - to sleep each year. I know of instances where terminally sick, old animals have been 'saved' to gain publicity while a healthy puppy with a minor injury (i.e. a normally broken leg) has been destroyed on the basis that they don't have the funds to save both.

On the one hand it has recently accepted a £48,000 donation from the Kennel Club for the welfare of dogs yet it sees fit to publicise a decision to withdraw from activities associated with the Kennel Club.

Nothing much changes then :rolleyes:

I have a lot of time for the RSPCA at branch level but RSPCA HQ is inconsistent and generally extremely wasteful of money donated by honest members of the public (or so it would appear).

I agree with SB. I think the RSPCA could present a better case by educating the public (at the various shows etc) but if they choose not to attend Discover Dogs and Crufts then so be it. I doubt that many people will notice anyway, other than via press coverage because I truthfully cannot remember seeing an RSPCA stand at either of the main shows in previous years. Who knows what the Dogs Trust will do but I would respect their decision because at least they are asking their supporters.

Edited by Katiebob

I don't think the 'bad breeders' would be walking away from Crufts if the RSPCA were there discussing it, I honestly do not think that those breeders would care, other than to spout more vitriole about how how rubbish their health arguments are. Someone who used to judge Cavaliers told me that she hadn't seen a particular breeder at shows for a while and when she did see them she asked them where they'd been. They replied that they had had their show dogs' legs pinned to improve their movement in the ring. Later on my friend was judging a class that this breeder had entered and continued to exhibit in, despite knowing that the judge knew her dogs' legs had been pinned. Needless to say she wasn't placed but that just goes to show how blatant it all is and how little they care.

Great news :thumbsup_still:

Hopefully this will be the beginning of breeding for health / temperament and not looks.Hopefully all the main animal charities and BBC will also pull out, and more visitors will also consider what they are supporting by attending - even if they don't visit the show rings.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2037/23/5/3

The Kennel Club's Response to the RSPCA's Decision to Not Attend Crufts 2009

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club spokesperson, said: "Dog shows such as Crufts give the Kennel Club and other organisations a great opportunity to educate the dog loving public about the overriding importance of health and welfare. The RSPCA has attended Crufts for a great many years and will be fully aware of all the work that is being done to improve the health of dogs in and out of the show ring.

“The Kennel Club invests a great deal of time, money and care into the area of pedigree health. This includes grants, via its Charitable Trust, into developing health screening for dogs. A donation of £48,000 was recently given to the RSPCA to improve the general welfare of dogs. Furthermore, the Kennel Club has just released its ‘Future Plans’ to keep the public updated about its continued progress in this area.

“The fact that the RSPCA continues to make such unhelpful statements with regard to the health of pedigree dogs is extremely regrettable but we will continue to endeavour to work with them despite their stated position – for the benefit of dogs. The Kennel Club is dedicated to improving the health and welfare of dogs through responsible breeding and will continue to use Crufts as a platform to educate breeders and the public about the importance of joining us on this quest.â€

The RSPCA has made several comments that the Kennel Club would take issue with. Specifically:

RSPCA – ‘There are unacceptably high levels of disability, deformity and disease that threaten pedigree dogs.â€

The Kennel Club ran a health survey looking at pedigree health, the largest of its kind in the world. It has been found that 90 percent of pedigree dogs will not suffer from health problems that will have a detrimental effect on their quality of life, based on an analysis of the Breed Health Survey, carried out by in 2004 by the Kennel Club and the Animal Health Trust. This is to date the largest dog health survey of its kind in the world. Of course, there are some dogs which suffer from some diseases but the Kennel Club is working hard to help eliminate these conditions and to ensure that ALL dogs have the opportunity to lead healthy lives. For more information about the work that the Kennel Club has done in the area of pedigree health visit www.doggenetichealth.org

Dogs shows using current breed standards encourage the intentional breeding of deformed and disabled dogs and the inbreeding of closely related animals.

Dog shows are fundamentally designed to reward those dogs that meet a particular breed standard, which is the blueprint for a healthy dog. The Kennel Club is continually working to ensure that this objective is achieved by regularly reviewing breed standards and ensuring that judges are educated so that dogs displaying visible health problems will not win at dog shows.

For further information about the work of the Kennel Club and to find out more about the issue of pedigree health visit www.doggenetichealth.org.

Date:

15-Sep-08

Di, I have no idea of the RSPCA's pts figures and I know our local branch doesn't pts unless for health reasons and certainly keeps young and old alive (oldest I remember to date for rehoming was a very sprightly 18 yr old JRT and they certainly wouldn't be pts-ing puppies). However surely there's a bit of a difference in a breeder killing a perfectly healthy puppy which doesn't meet breed standard and a rescue putting a dog down because there are too many dogs needing help?

I have no knowledge of them choosing to keep older dogs alive over puppies but the RSPCA also gets criticised for not being prepared to take in and for putting to sleep older dogs, seems they can't win really.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club spokesperson, said: "Dog shows such as Crufts give the Kennel Club and other organisations a great opportunity to educate the dog loving public about the overriding importance of health and welfare.

They're having a laugh aren't they?!

Di, I have no idea of the RSPCA's pts figures and I know our local branch doesn't pts unless for health reasons and certainly keeps young and old alive (oldest I remember to date for rehoming was a very sprightly 18 yr old JRT and they certainly wouldn't be pts-ing puppies). However surely there's a bit of a difference in a breeder killing a perfectly healthy puppy which doesn't meet breed standard and a rescue putting a dog down because there are too many dogs needing help?

I'm not aware I've said it's ok in either case? In fact, I'm on record as having stated that people who destroy perfectly healthy puppies are far from ok. However, my comment is that the RSPCA DO destroy healthy puppies too, even if they don't do it at your local branch.

Di, I said:

I have no knowledge of them choosing to keep older dogs alive over puppies but the RSPCA also gets criticised for not being prepared to take in and for putting to sleep older dogs, seems they can't win really.

I'm not aware I've said it's ok in either case? In fact, I'm on record as having stated that people who destroy perfectly healthy puppies are far from ok. However, my comment is that the RSPCA DO destroy healthy puppies too, even if they don't do it at your local branch.

Where have I said you said it was ok in either case? :unsure:

I don't know why some parts of the RSPCA may pts healthy puppies - it's not something I have experience of and I'm not saying it's something I agree with. However I'm certain it's not because they don't meet a breed standard, so I don't know that the two can be directly compared.

The KC aren't taking on board that some of the breed standards aren't good for the dogs of that breed and need to be bred back out. They are only discussing reputable breeders that are going along with their plan of how dogs should be. No mention of those breeders that produce KC registered pups that aren't doing things as they should. Some due to lack of knowledge rather than deliberately so I don't know where they educate exactly. They are also only discussing dogs that attend the top shows. Again I know one person who attends these shows who has been reported to the KC. I'm sure many more have too but they don't take these matters any further. Those particular dogs are healthy but it doesn't make it right.