UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rspca Pull Out Of Crufts.

raiye

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any of the rescues here on the board, or any retailers for that matter too, that have a stall at Crufts say if they are going to follow suit of the RSPCA and the DTs, and remove their stalls from Crufts 2009?

Doglost don't usually go these days as the KC tend to favour DTA not us - but if offered a stand, we would accept. I will also be going, time permitting, and one day I'd hope to show there (the latter is personal opinion).

I do not think you can compare large national businesses to small rescue/related organisations. If for instance DNB had a stand there the good coming from spreading the word would far out-do any "negative relation to the KC" IMHO.

NB I am not aware if DNB are going or not, just using them as an example, as I recall them having been there previously.

I am really really pleased that the DT has pulled out as well. Now maybe the KC will stop trying to flannel people and start to admit some culpability (but I doubt it cos they seem to be so far up their own backsides) :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope the BBC doesn't cover Crufts next year, because it would be hypocritical IMO if they did.

However, I still applaud the BBC for showing that programme, they have set the wheels in motion lets hope it turns into a juggernaut.

Edited by merledogs

I am really really pleased that the DT has pulled out as well. Now maybe the KC will stop trying to flannel people and start to admit some culpability (but I doubt it) :rolleyes:

How can they? They don't make the law... they are an advisory body.... not the law makers - the RSPCA need to be lobbying parliament, not sulking that noone is listening.

How can they? They don't make the law... they are an advisory body.... not the law makers - the RSPCA need to be lobbying parliament, not sulking that noone is listening.

They set the breed standards and as such they are directly responsible, along with breeders, for the unhealthy state of lots of pedigree dogs.

Don't see what it's got to do with the RSPCA, they aren't breeding unhealthy, deformed dogs. I don't think it's fair to try and deflect the blame onto them, it's not them who had caused the problem.

Edited by merledogs

I personally don't think the RPSCA have helped at all. They are big enough and powerful enough to force action - and they're not. There are very many breeders who do breed healthy undeformed dogs, and it's tarring all with a big old brush and ignoring all that. I think that's unfair.

The GSDs for example did not adhere to the breed standard - and the judge who judged them should've been hung drawn and quartered for even attempting to say they did. The KC are quite clearly saying their working on it, and from what I read of their statements are actually doing it. But if the law can't stop them stopping bad breeders, they are quite plainly stuffed. As i say, I think they need the RSPCA and I don't think the RSPCA should be shy about telling them that.

They RSPCA doesn't make the law and it doesn't set breed standards. If the KC has set breed standards that breeders are adhering to then what power has the RSPCA got to change that? The KC are trying to change things, so they keep telling us, but as far as I can see they are not pushing hard enough. If they changed breed standards then breeders would comply if they wanted to show their dogs. So why haven't they done it? Because a lot of the officials and judges are breeders themselves so they go hand in hand. This is not something which has happened overnight, it's been going on for decades. It wouldn't take much, just a tweak or two every couple of years and within a few years we could have healthier dogs.

As i say, I think they need the RSPCA and I don't think the RSPCA should be shy about telling them that.

Which is precisely what the RSPCA is doing by pulling out of Crufts.

Edited by merledogs

The RSPCA have the "oomph" (is that a word?!) to talk to parliament, the expertise to talk about health, and the ability to prosecute (if they could push a law through). The RSPCA have huge potential for power, if only they'd take it. Breed standards do change from time to time, and as i've said already the GSD is the prime example of them not being followed. Personally I think the breeding of those particular dogs in that state does border on cruelty and i'd love to see that stopped. Running away solves nothing. People at the next Crufts will forget that the DT and RSPCA were even there. They need to stand strong and shout louder for change from the top. I think it IS overnight change we need, and sweepingly so. Wipe out the bad and bring in temperament and health checks. Immediately.

They set the breed standards and as such they are directly responsible, along with breeders, for the unhealthy state of lots of pedigree dogs.

Don't see what it's got to do with the RSPCA, they aren't breeding unhealthy, deformed dogs. I don't think it's fair to try and deflect the blame onto them, it's not them who had caused the problem.

They RSPCA doesn't make the law and it doesn't set breed standards. If the KC has set breed standards that breeders are adhering to then what power has the RSPCA got to change that? The KC are trying to change things, so they keep telling us, but as far as I can see they are not pushing hard enough. If they changed breed standards then breeders would comply if they wanted to show their dogs. So why haven't they done it? Because a lot of the officials and judges are breeders themselves so they go hand in hand. This is not something which has happened overnight, it's been going on for decades. It wouldn't take much, just a tweak or two every couple of years and within a few years we could have healthier dogs.

Completely agree with you Alex. The KC could have stopped the judges who were rewarding badly bred dogs,(in health terms) but haven't. The accredited breeder scheme is a joke, and many reputable breeders boycott it, as they see it as a money making enterprise for the KC. The KC have as much of the 'ear' of Defra / the Gov as any other animal welfare lobbying body , and have used it to prevent an EEC directive (which bans line breeding) being introduced here, because they believe their way is better. But it clearly isn't and dogs are suffering because of it :(

I think the RSPCA and DT *are* trying to spur action by withdrawing.

Reading the DT's press release for example:

Dogs Trust believes that this removal of support is the strongest signal it can give to the Kennel Club and breeders to achieve immediate action to ensure that the health and wellbeing of pedigree dogs is ranked over appearance and artificial breed standards.

I hope it has the desired effect for the sake of the dogs.

The KC runs the biggest dogshow in the world - they have a great deal of power in my opinion, to ensure the breeding of dogs is improved. I hope they will start to use it and prioritise animal welfare over income.

There are a lot of people annoyed about the recent programme and now these withdrawals but I am looking at it positively and hoping we can look back in years to come and see how far things have progressed. I gather there will be a second programme made in "follow up" to the first, will be interesting to see what that contains.

I don't think the KC are going to lose any sleep over the RSPCA and the Dogs Trust not having stalls. I asked about other rescues because on another board, folks are commenting that all smaller rescues should follow suit.

I think the only time the KC will worry is if some of the larger sponsers start threatening to remove their sponsorship.

The RSPCA have the "oomph" (is that a word?!) to talk to parliament, the expertise to talk about health, and the ability to prosecute (if they could push a law through).

It shouldn't need to be legislated.

If someone takes the decision to create new lives that are dependent on them for their health and welfare, any decent human being should take the responsibility to do this in a manner conducive to the best interests of those lives.

Many do not do this and their representative body, the Kennel Club, do nothing to enforce this basic humane criteria on their membership. This means that basically the governing body of the Kennel Club are just as much responsible for the misery that some dogs are having to endure as any back yard breeder or puppy farmer and should be equally despised.

I think the only time the KC will worry is if some of the larger sponsers start threatening to remove their sponsorship.

Absolutely! I reckon the power of advertising (Glitz n Glam etc) will counter any bad press and Crufts and Discover Dogs will be just as busy and successful for the Kennel Club as ever.