UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rspca Pull Out Of Crufts.

raiye

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree: I reckon that they will get a lot more press coverage and overall impact on the public by making a big thing of not going. If they attend, they are then competing against a whole bunch of 'fluffy dog' stories at the time of Crufts: by annoucing they are not going now, they pick up on the publicity after the recent TV program, and they hit the papers at a time when there is less competing dog news - actually, not that much news at all so far as I can see, the papers seem to be scrabbling for content - so they are more likely to get coverage in the major nationals.

I don't think they are trying to convince the Kennel Club directly, I think they are trying to hit them in the wallet by making the general public more wary about buying dogs. This is good timing from that point of view too, because it's just coming up to the time when people will be starting to think about Christmas pups.

And not having a stand at the event doesn't mean that they can't be on the phone to journalists going 'let us give you a quote about why we aren't attending...'

Edited by cycas

Given how vociferous the RSPCA vet was against the KC on the BBC programme, I'd have been surprised if they hadn't pulled out.

I doubt the KC would have allowed them a stand there if they knew the RSPCA were going to be that critical of them.

I personally am really pleased because this way they will get better press coverage :)

Edited by merledogs

I agree with Cycas. Stands have to be made otherwise it'll just all be forgotten and no real changes will be made. The KC is still trying to fluff around the issues, their denials remind me of the global warming cynics :(

also agree

hope the dogs trust do pull out, and maybe hold a joint event with the RSPCA/PDSA

a month before crufts, perhaps more of a dog welfare and care show rather than

a "look how deformed my breed is show" as run by the KC.

This could raise further awareness amongst the general puppy buying population

and perhaps start a long term change in thinking

But what if they were there (and of course if they were allowed) and showed the KC the bad breeders - those breeders would be flocking out the door, not in it. Take away the breeder's kudos and ability to earn status (and money) and bring in those who have health checks, temperament tests etc etc... don't shy from making a stand at naming and shaming - its what is needed.

My opinion is with SB.

I don't see them making a stand, more as stepping away from the arguement.

Why aren't the RSPCA shouting it from the rooftops, plastering it all over their website, and listing dog breeding standards as one of their 'current campaigns'?

IF they feel so strongly about it.

I agree with cycas, I've just posted a comment applauding the RSPCA - well there is a first time for everything! :wink: Being at Crufts and DD, they'd be only one stand of many, and many people will just seeing the name RSPCA on the stand, assuming that they are supporting the KC and their rubbish stance on breeding. Pulling out now publicly will give them much more publicity and just might force the KC to respond.

Naming and shaming individual breeders would probably be risky business, unless you'd have lots of individual owners come forward to say they have bought their pup from 'breeder So-and-so', and have vet's reports etc to prove that their dog is suffering from a hereditary disease/condition etc, because any publicly named breeder can, and likely will, sue the RSPCA for defamation. Not practical and very expensive for the RSPCA if you ask me.

The KC have been informed of bad breeders though and turned a deaf ear so many times. I know one of the breeders personally who shows her dogs every year at Crufts. The KC wouldn't be bothered if members of the RSPCA startied pointing fingers at breeders. They've had all the information they need to act already. So I do applaud the RSPCA for finally making a stance. Let's hope they continue to appear in the press educating the public. It is only when information is out there that a change can happen. Crufts is too busy for this to happen there.

I think its great!!!! breeders dont see there doing wrong so i dont think they would bat an eye lid at rspca saying they were wrong.......a hall full of breeders and one little stand!!!

now it would be good if they had a stand outside on the door!!!!!! put im sure some people will be there anyway!!!!

will be very intresting to see how others now follow as its harder for smaller charities who the press may not notice as much if they were there or not as crufts is a place they can make alot of money and connections

They were quite happy to do just that on the BBC... can't see how doing it in person is any different. The RSPCA are the voice for cruelty - they should be out there showing us that they can force change. jmho :)

I think pulling up a few examples on a TV documentary is vastly different from supplying a whole list of every single breeder of every single breed on a stall. Because people will think: "oh I see it's those XXX breeders who breed pugs. I'm buying a boxer and the breeder I'm buying from isn't on the list so the RSPCA thinks he's fine." Plus there is a massive difference between reaching people in their own living rooms via the TV and having a stall at a great big show with loads and loads of other people and all those distractions of "what show/breed are we going to look at and ooooohhhh ...... that's stall's got a sale on for dog coats!" And meanwhile little Johnny goes: "muuuum, can I have an ice cream?"

You are right, the RSPCA should be the voice against cruelty to animals, and as far as I'm concerned they do not do nearly enough. This step however, I think is one that will actually force at least a reaction from the KC, because as much clout as they might have, I do think that the RSPCA as an animal charity has more clout.