UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Thug Horse Advice Please

supafrisk

Gosh, so much has happened since I last checked in.

Being blind in one eye does make sense of the guarding his off side - he probably never did it with you as he trusts you and has no reason to guard it. Thus you could not ever be expected to notice it.

As everyone else has said - being blind in one eye is not the end of the world - we have an old girl on our yard (she is in her 30s), who went blind in one eye last year. As long as you talk to her as you approach her blind side, so that she knows you are there, she is perfectly content.

Ignore the being shot stuff - inflammatory shock tactics from a spoilt brat of a bully - not worth giving it a second thought. :GroupHug:

So glad that he is leaving there - the only way is up now! :)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock of sh*t!!! Those are the sort of horse people I cannot abide and who make the horse world a disgusting place to be sometimes. :angry:

So glad you've sorted it. :flowers: If Thug doesn't already, can I suggest you get him going with learning the meaning of words? I started right off at the beginning once I knew about Kanes sight getting the important commands voice 'activated' (sorry can't think of a better way of saying it!! :laugh: ) It's useful if I'm not in the saddle and I see something scarey coming up on his blind side, it's a heads up so he'll make the effort to look at whats coming and not looking at what he can find to eat!! :rolleyes: Also try not to over-compensate for his sight, I was guilty of making mountains out of molehills in the beginning, as in I'd see something I'd think he'd be scared of and tense up...which of course is going to make him worse, learn to trust his instinct. :wink:

One very very important bit of advise I was given by my vet was to remember that his eye is only one teeny tiny part of this horse and that while it's a slight disability it's not an excuse. and to learn when he's truly scared and when he's taking the pis*!!! :laugh:

What an awful woman :angry:

So pleased you have found a solution to get him out of there, it sounds like Grant will give you good advise, and I would be very surprised if it is anything other than there is nothing stopping Thug becoming a fantastic riding horse and family memeber :flowers:

Hi

I have spoken to my friend Sue. She has room on her yard or can recommend a few good places. i thought she had stopped Liveries but people keep coming back. She has spoken to this Grant, in the past and she says he is a very, very nice chap. Thug will be well OK with him. I have pm'd you with Sue's telephone no.

Good Luck, you'll both be OK when you are away from that damn yard.

Well it all had to come out eventually....

I've just got off the phone to Hugh, my vet.

Hugh happened to mention that after he'd told her Thug was blind she asked him if it was worth her buying him. :ohmy:

He said no because of health and safety issues regarding the fact that it is a riding stables open to the public.

He said he also noticed the fact that the stable was too small and Thug's ears were bent against the top of the door, in fact, he finished the sentence for me.

And also the fact that there was a lead rope tied in half hanging from his headcollar.

I asked if he'd had problems handling him and he said none at all, although he'd been warned and told that everyone else was wary of being in a stable with him as they'd been told he was 'unpredictable'.

He says that Thug going to Grants is the right way forward and to have him assessed, he also agreed that he definitely needed to be removed from the yard as it was the wrong place for him to be and assured me that he wouldn't shoot him under her orders.

I had a text from my friend up there earlier saying "Hi Emma, how you feeling this morning? Have you spoken to Alyson again? Still can't believe that woman x"

I replied "I can't either. Haven't spoke to her yet regarding Thug but I'm not having him shot either. He's not a death machine, I've had him 4 and a half years without so much as a scratch to me and my sister and Alyson said if I have him back as a companion then he will be lethal because he's half broken and will think he's got away with it, what is he - Einstein? He's only been backed by them basically and don't they turn backed horses away for a year to mature anymore then?!"

Edited by supafrisk

Well it all had to come out eventually....

I've just got off the phone to Hugh, my vet.

Hugh happened to mention that after he'd told her Thug was blind she asked him if it was worth her buying him. :ohmy:

He said no because of health and safety issues regarding the fact that it is a riding stables open to the public.

Unbelievable :angry: To try and paint your horse as a monster just to lower the price is disgusting.

Not long until he's out of there :flowers:

I don't know about you, but I can't wait for him to move - so close and yet so far :)

You're not kidding - I am worrying myself sick that something will happen in the meantime. Not being funny but something must have happened for my boy to chase her yard partner/boyfriend from the stable, across the yard and to the school.

I'm so scatty at the moment I forgot to ring Grant yesterday to give him their address etc and I haven't rang the yard yet as I wanted to leave it to the last minute. I have a feeling that she will try a last minute attempt to get me to change my mind.

Talk about the blind leading the blind, Mum was only saying the other day that Sindy (our partially sighted Connemara) is missing him as he leads her out to the field and leads her in to the yard at night and has been her "eyes" for the past 3 years. :rolleyes:

Well that well and truly backfired on me, didn't it? :(

I consulted Grant and Sandra but not Alyson the yard owner as I waas worried what would happen if she had too much time to think about it :unsure:

I rang her an hour ago and just said "Just to let you know I'll be popping up at 10.30am tomorrow to pick Thug up"

She said I can't possibly do that, she has lessons on a Saturday I can get him today or after 4pm tomorrow.

Problem is, I can't get hold of Grant or Sandra to check that 4pm's ok as all I'm getting is their answerphones :(

I know Sandra can't do today and I know Grant can't do Sunday so I'm just hoping they're ok about it :unsure:

And why exactly can't YOU come in to pick YOUR horse up??? Surely if there'd be an emergency she'd be able to allow someone to come in and pick a horse up at that time? Just tell her that that's what you'll do and if she don't like it she can lump it. :mad: