UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Thug Horse Advice Please

supafrisk

Emma please try and find someone with a more sympathetic approach than putting him in position where the only option he can see is to rear and go over backwards :(

You *can* help him have a better experience of loading and handling, if you don't you are probably right, and he will hurt himself or someone else, and then how would you feel.

There's a list of Intelligent Horsemanship people here, is there anyone near you that you could have a chat with? Linky

Is there a yard near enough to walk him to?

No yards close enough to walk him to.

As for the IH list, the guy I mentioned in my earlier posts (Grant) used to be listed on their site, it's where I got his number from. However, I'm now unsure as to why his details have been removed :unsure:

I was going to try Ian Vandenberghe but he doesn't do call outs. I think I will ring him later though, he is probably the closest to Grant and may be able to tell me why he's no longer on the list.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: I'm so glad you've reached this decision. From a personal viewpoint I think you are right, I've had many a day of complete distress and thinking I was at the end of my abilities with Kane and then something (or usually someone) comes along that turns it all around again. I do hope you can find a suitable yard and get him there asap, I agree with Sarah a good few weeks for Thug in a field just being a horse and you making yourself his one true constant in his life will do no end of good. Kane had a year off work before I rebacked him and I wouldn't change that time for the world, it cemented our bond and that will never be broken. I spent that year just being with him, grooming him, taking him for long walks and with the support of great friends letting him know he was safe. I've said the same as you that if I ever find Kane too much I'd have no hesitation loaning him to a good home, he'll always be my horse but if it's best for him I'd make that sacrifice.

As for his potential....well as someone said to a friend recently, a horse doesn't know it has the potential to be a top class jumper/eventer etc...a horse just knows its a horse and it's happy being that, it's us that heap these labels and pressures on them. If you want Thug to be a happy hacker then thats what he'll be, as long as he has care, food,exercise and company he'll be happy.

I'm very proud of you and hope you can find some help. :GroupHug:

My first thought after reading your first post was, these people want him and are scaring her into selling :( I'd move him asap and tell them you do not want people looking over his door at him etc as he is not for sale, therefore they have no need to be near him. The boxing problem is a difficult one as hes probably going to refuse to go in due to their treatment of him, get an experienced person to help, dont tell anyone at the yard when you're moving him [as in a specific time] so you'll have no audience :rolleyes: and finally do not let these people get their hands on him.

Edit to add.... when you box him could you take him off the yard and lead him to the box nearby, perhaps someonewould let you use their field. That way there is less pressure and no chance of the audience with 'helpful' advice.

Edited by collies r best

Have just got off the phone to Ian Vandenburghe. He's also recommended Grant and says Grant does a lot of work with Monty Roberts and his methods are not violent. I now have an updated number to ring Grant on, but first I think I am going to pay Thug a visit.

I have just had a reply back from my friend. I texted asking how he was and the reply back was "I'm just watching him now, he's gorgeous".

So I imagine they must be working him right now. Not quite the text I'd expect if he was being a monster, eh? :unsure:

My friend up there has just texted back to say he has just been really great, and says they never mentioned that they were interested in him. I'm jealous, my friend said he was long reined and looked amazing :wub:

On another note, I've just rung Thug's breeder who says if I need a box she will come up with hers and help me move him, says last time she backed the box right up to the stable and put the ramp wings down the sides, took a bit of time and coaxing but he did go in. She says she's surprised they even attempted loading him in a rice trailer with a pony already in it for company if he's 16hh as when he was a baby he wouldn't go in one of those trailers for love or money :wacko:

She's fully supportive and says she can't wait to see him again :)

So now it's just a case of getting hold of Grant :unsure:

Edited by supafrisk

Emma, I know nothing bout horses but just from reading your posts looks to me like they have seen he has potential and are trying to do a fast one and get him off you. I would say get him out of there PDQ :GroupHug:

there are so many horse wise people on here to guide you :) go with their good advice and your gut instinct, it wont let you down.

Emma, for future reference we had a horse who wouldn't load into a Rice trailer but we had the time before he was being moved so we popped the trailer in his field, ramps down front and back and he was fed in it, his feed started off on the back ramp and gradually it was moved further into the trailer, he was always perfectly happy with this arrangement. One afternoon I went to check on him and the front wheel of the trailer had collapsed, the silly fool was going up the back ramp, standing in the trailer rocking it. then down the front ramp, and back around again and again - such fun! We never had any problem loading him again. Of course, you need to have the time and a trailer you can use.

For what its worth I definately think its worth moving him.

I've read this post three times now and initially thought what a crock of **** you're being told.

If a horse is backed properly then these types of issues don't occur. If he was mine I would remove him fro mthe yard, get someone who knows about intelligent horsemanship out and assess him then go from there.

There isn't a quick fix but I do think he needs to be mentally challenged and thats not necessarily riding him everyday and riding him hard everyday.

I would want another opinion if he was mine and from someone who knows a little more about horse psychology for starters.

Nearly ever horse I've had was given to me as unrideable, including my advanced eventer... and this stems from a fundemental lack of understanding of the horse as an individual because he/she doesn't fit into our way of doing things.

Sorry if that upseets some people here but having seen what can be done and where I've come in my learning I'd never go back to the UK traditional methods... the phrase that springs to mind is a bad workman blames his tools in this case Thug.

Same as Sarah.

He is just a young horse so no different or worse than any other horse. He has been sat in a field so hasnt learnt any behavioural issues.

These people are chancing thier arm and you can bet as soon as silver has crossed your palm he will be the best thing since sliced bread when they sell him for a vast profit.

He needs a better way of working with him and people who understand that he is just a horse and think with him not against him.

Glad you are sounding more positive today am still trying to get hold of people. Always the same when you need them they are never there. I will keep trying and get back to you. It's brill his breeder is going to help you get him out of there.

I've just come off the phone from my IH trainer, hes in nottingham but says he's happy to talk to you and if will take him in for starting or restarting if you like. Or come out and assess him.

Will pm details if you like. :)

It's money that is holding me back at the moment - I can't get a loan, I have two provident loans running at the moment, so can't get one of those. I was paying £75 a week at that yard and only just managing to get that together. Most IH instructors are charging upwards of £200 a week from what I can see.

I am waiting on a toe rag that borrowed money off me last year getting back to me as he owes me nearly £400 and has paid all the other people he loaned off at the same time off. Not a lot of money but at least it's nearly a couple of weeks.

If push comes to shove, my friend has offered her yard. Not really a yard as such, just a field and tack shed but the grazing is good, it's £8 a week and they have a large metal barn that the owner will be installing stables in. Not to mention lots of moral support.

I know it's not a solution but even if I have to put it off for a month, it means Thug gets a break from what he's been doing and although we can't start afresh it might help to dull the edges.

Nottingham might be a bit far - ideally I'd really want him where I could possibly interact with him myself regularly. I think it's only fair that any instructor working with him, works with us as a pair, all well and good getting my boy going if I can't watch and learn how to reinforce what's being taught.

Mickey isn't quite £200 a week, but he is focused on two way work. He may come out to you and then give you a programme to work on.

One thing that changed my life was abook called 'Horsemanship through Feel' that give you all the ground work and ridden work. I started with the book and learnt loads when having the training was'nt a financial option for me.

My trainer works with me via phonecall as hes not allowed to teach on my yard due to YO. But we're still progressing maybeb a tad slower but its all we can do for now!