UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

New Dog Shopping List.

Ciren

Top of the list - Credit Card :laugh:

Food

Beds - they like a choice.

Treats

Toys

Collar and Lead - two sets in case you lose one.

Mix that lot with love and have years of happiness.

Camera is a must so you can post photos on the forums.

Edited by Kathyw

Is this for an adult dog or a puppy?

If it's a puppy then Gwen Bailey's Perfect Puppy book is a good read and some toys for teething will be handy.

A crate may prove very useful but I think you were already planning on one of those for camping etc.

Depending on where the dog is coming from, I would definitely set aside the money for microchipping if he/she is not already done :)

Is this for an adult dog or a puppy?

If it's a puppy then Gwen Bailey's Perfect Puppy book is a good read and some toys for teething will be handy.

A crate may prove very useful but I think you were already planning on one of those for camping etc.

Depending on where the dog is coming from, I would definitely set aside the money for microchipping if he/she is not already done :)

the rescue says they chip as standard but i will be asking.

i had'nt even thought of that :huh: oh gawd this is going to go horribly wrong isnt it.

You'll be fine. You're being sensible writing a list. When Louie came we had him on home trial and had absolutely nothing ready so had a mad panic to p@h and argos lol.

Oh a clicker would be good for training - most dogs like clicker training - and some treats - I tend to use the Barker & Barker liver treats and home-made tuna cake.

Insurance, has anyone mentioned that yet? I tend to make sure the policy is taken out by the day we pick the new dog up at the latest so I know they are covered from the moment they're in our care (although it's usually only accidental type stuff covered for the first 14 days and illness after that).

flea/ tick treatment such as frontline and wormer something like drontal

Seeing as you're getting a dog from a rescue I'd put those on the backburner, because s/he is likely to have been deflead/wormed. Also I'd have a look at the 'vet says we're killing animals' thread. You might want to have a look at alternative wormers/flea stuff. No offence lil angel! :flowers:

I'd definitely take out insurance ASAP, although many rescues now seem to come with a couple of weeks cover. One of my friends kind of forgot about taking out a policy and is now worried about the vets bill after her dog had to stay for a few days due to illness. There's been a lot of talk about insurance policies, so if you do a search on 'insurance' you'll find a load of info on that. As log as you don't go with E&L you'll be alright! :)

Also, I wouldn't go mental buying an entire pet shop's worth of toys. When Mal came over, one of the first things he did was shred a cardboard box. Thinking that he was a chewer in disguise I promptly went out and bought him £30 worth of chew type toys. He never once looked at them and I ended up giving them away :wacko: I'd ask the rescue what s/he likes and go with that, buying maybe one or two toys at the time. Your new dog really doesn't have to have absolutely everything waiting for him/her to feel at home! :) What I might do is take a t-shirt or towel from your house and ask to leave that with your new dog for a few days before you get him/her (if that is the arrangement) so that s/he's already used to your smell. If not, ask if your dog has any type of soft bedding hat you could possibly take with him/her for a few days so that s/he has something familiar.

Having said all that, I had a really nice big, soft cushion for Mal to sleep on when he came over. He never even once looked at it but went straight ono my bed and fell asleep :rolleyes: :laugh: He's now got the bigger part of 'our' double bed at night and the sofa during the day. We do have a dog basket where either Mal or Kiera will lie in occasionally - they prefer human standard beds more! :laugh: