UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Does Anyone Use One Of Thease Crates?

Ciren

I've never used one of them - or taken a dog camping - so can't comment on that, but one thought is that with the metal ones that I have, you can buy a little bowl that fixes to the bars of the crate so you can leave water in the crate for the dog if they are going to be crated for any length of time, so that might be worth bearing in mind? :flowers:

I have a similar one but have only used it for the puppy, it's handy because it folds up but I think a determined bigger dog could easily topple it. Why not just go for a crate, at least you can stack stuff on the crate or in it during the day.

AnnS

Ange, do those clip on things actually work? I've had those clip on water bowls for rabbits before now, and I've never owned a rabbit that would not unclip the damn thing or kick it, and soak themselves and everything inside the carrier, so I'd always assumed dogs would do the same thing!

Az says that he doesn't know about small dogs, but his preferred place to sleep when we go camping is my sleeping bag...

I've got a large softcrate which I use in the car and have used at shows to "park" one of the dogs in for a bit of time out.

To be honest, it really depends on the dog. They aren't the strongest crates so a very lively, determined dog could probably claw thier way out of it. Similarly, if a dog was a chewer, they could probably escape if they were bored enough to keep on chewing.

My dogs are older and will just settle down in there but I moved a dog which was not at all happy being in the car and the sides of the crate got very adly buckled :(

The coop bowls do work but I wouldn't leave the metal ones on whilst unattended for long. Certain dogs have been known to stick their head threw the holders after dislodging bowl and wearing it as a necklace :rolleyes: It wasn't all that easy to get off :laugh:

Sorry Ciren, to answer your question, as Wendy said, it depends on the individual dog and how/what you intend to use the crate for. For puppies I wouldn't consider them.

One of mine scratched and ripped her way out of one of these whilst I was going down the motorway!! Never again will I buy one

I use metal crates in the car and I have the water bowls that latch on to the sides, never had a problem with these (except one lard arse sitting on the bowl and bending the holder :rolleyes:

Cheaper soft crates like this tend to have flimsier mesh that dogs can easily chew or just burst through.

You have to watch the zips too. If the end of the zip is at the bottom, one of mine will just unzip it with her teeth.

I wouldn't leave any dog unattended in one as they are pretty easy to get out of.

Pam

I have a soft one and several wire ones. A decent sized wire one would be your best bet IMO, more room to move about, sturdier and the dog can see out properly and feel more part of what's going on. Best to wait and see which dog you get before you choose the size of crate :flowers:

I have one which I use for camping and if we go anywhere that Neo will need to have a hidey hole for during the day. He is never left unattended in it though and is usually muzzled anyway so can't chew it. I use the metal crates for the car. :)

I have got two wire ones, one for home and one for the car. One of the best things I ever bought. Kassi uses it as her den at night and makes herself all cosy. The bowl clips on fine and has never come of yet even with all her bed-making antics, plus she can see all round, particularly in the car she can still see out of the car windows.

We fold the big one flat and take that on holiday with us for night times away I don't think she would sleep anywhere else :)