UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tekno Needs Lots Of Healing Thoughs Please

Mrs Mop

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, haven't had chance to read back through all the well wishes yet, but you are all doing him some good :) with your lovely healing thoughts.

A little bit of better news today - the vet did a quick inspection of him this morning and he is happy with his head injury and he thinks all the excess fluid and swelling has gone and there is no immediate apparent lasting effect from it. I don't know if long term there would be any lasting effects, but thats the least of our worries right now!)

We went to see him this afternoon and he can now lift his head and move his neck on his own - when we went to look at his MRI scans with the nurse or someone left the room out the three of us he kept looking up and around - his eyes are much brighter too.

There is still such a long way to go, but each day the vets are a little more positive and even mentioned maybe coming home at the weekend - but will have to see as I would feel a bit overwhelmed with the responsiblity .... he has to be turned every two hours - but I am sure they would not send him home before he is ready, has appetite back and some more movement at least, because he can't move his body on his own yet. One of his back legs is really rigid and stiff and cold and I think they will wait a few days and then maybe look at getting the physio to devise some excercises to try and get him to roll onto his front next.

By being overwhelmed, I would love to have him here, but wouldn't want to be worrying all the time if he should be trying to do this or shouldn't etc and making sure he is ok.....

the vet will be in tomorrow and do some more with him so we can go from there..... they are not saying he will make a recovery, but they are not saying that he won't recover either, so each day is a little positive step in the right direction.....

The vet thinks maybe won't need to operate and is hoping that once blood and fluid drain away from his damaged disc feelings will come back..... but we haven't spoken to him since friday so will get an official update tomorrow.

I know they would do their best for all dogs at the vets but the vet is a staffie owner and lover and so is the nurse so I feel like they are giving him extra special love and care :)

He did manage some ready cooked roast chook I took him but turned his nose up at the pilchards. I think he is going upstairs to the flat too tonight to watch some telly which feels nicer rather than him being on his own in the hospital part on his own.

I haven't wanted to bid in the auction yet, just in case, but I did spot some vet bed and may hopefully be making a bid later in the week to keep my boy comfy if he continues to make progress and gets to come home.p_online.gifp_card.gifp_pm.gif p_report.gifp_up.gif

:GroupHug: Glad to hear that Tekno is improving.

I know it's not the same thing, but Tilly (our bridge girl) had an inflamed/swollen disc in her back, we had to carry her into the vets on a blanket between us as she lost all use of her legs.

The vet warned us that she might not recover and to prepare ourselves for the worse :(

4 days later (one day per leg :) ) this was her

15.jpg

and she was 15yrs old, so I'm sure Tekno will fight back :GroupHug:

Em, I have only just seen this thread - got woman flu - I am literally just round the corner from Castle Donington, so if you want a place to stay, cuppa tea or anything let me know. I will pm you my number.

I know how you are feeling, I have been through two traumatic episodes with spinal surgery on two of my dogs and I know how you must worry.

Anne

I'm glad there seems to be improvements. I can understand that feeling of being overwhelmed. I think I would feel like that too.

But it does sound like the vets a really good, if they are taking him up to watch telly.

Wishing you both well.

Hi again!

The vet nurse rang last night to say he had tried to sit up on his own :wub:

He hasn't tried to sit up again yet, but at least we know he can do it if he wants, they said happier to try and put weight on front legs but I think he is also finding it a bit confusing blink.gif

Spoke to the vet today - I think its a bit like doctors they tell you the medical stuff and you still aren't quite sure but have to get the nurse to translate it later!

He has said has made some progress - when I asked if he thought would get use of back legs back he said was too early to tell but each step of his treatment will depend on how much he can do on his own..... i.e. considering he couldn't even move his head on saturday he has done well, but he still needs to have hope of being able to stand up... but as the vet says its very early days on what will be a long route to recovery. I am sure theres so much also they can do with osteo, physio and surgery - but he wouldn't (or suppose couldn't) commit. he did say there would be some permanent damage probably, but not sure what that would be, stiffness, limited movement in a joint again I don't think he knew himself really or maybe something like epilepsy?

He said if his mobility stopped improving they would MRI scan him again to see whats going on with the fluid but they wanted to avoid anaesthetic at the moment whilst little things are happening slowly of their own accord.

There is a phyiso in on Thursday and I think she will also assess him and maybe try to give some excercises for him and if he is stable he may then be able to com e home. He will need alot of care but hopefully will have made some more progress by then.

Poor vet keeps telling me about the cost, I think just so its not too much of a shock told him it doesn't matter, but maybe need to check the limit on my credit cards !!