UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Insurance

meandmy4?

Something got me thinking (scary I know). I had to take Paddy to the emergency vet last night. I have 4 dogs 3 pedigrees (which I got when didnt know there were other rescues than the RSPCA) and Keira my pointer x from Ireland.

Paddy ripped some pad of his paw and emergency vet gave him few jabs and bandaged it and came to £140. Now was thinking all mine have been insured from 8 weeks and they are 9,7,5,1 and have paid every month currently paying £59 :wacko: a month which I think is a lot. Now I had to pay £140 upfront even though I explained I had insurance. Then Tesco will take £75 excess of every clain as well.

My point is how many of you put money into a bank account instead? Apart from a minor ear infection which I didnt claim for this is only time have ever made a claim.

We used to insure our 5 (3 lurchers and 2 cats) but when Indy (14 now) and the cats (16) reached 10 I think it was, premiums when up extortionately plus excesses for each of the oldies went up to £110 + 20% of the treatment cost so we decided that it would be cheaper to stop paying the insurance premiums and just pay for treatment instead, we were paying out almost £1k a year. Fortunately we are in a position that should a very large bill come in we would still be able to manage to pay it, it may sting a bit but we'd be ok. So far since we cancelled our insurance there is no way we have spent anywhere near the amount of annual premiums even taking into account Indy's lump removal and the routine stuff like vaccinations etc which you can't claim for anyway - so at the moment we are in pocket.

If we only had a couple of animals I think we would opt for insurance but with 5 animals, 3 being oldies and one not far behind, for us, it isn't worth it.

I pay under £50 a month to insure both my large breed dogs aged 6 with £50 excess on each , i get life time cover for ailments (one of them has cronic HD)and also gives me one million in third party cover.

Sadly in a day and age where every one is out to sue every one else, its reasurring to know that if one of mine sneeze on some one who then wants to take me to court for it, im covered.

Insurance isnt just about vet bills :(

I pay £51 for both my oldies with £75 and £95 excess, however due to my little miracle dog, I am getting tenfold back. Snatch's monthly medication stands at £149 and I only pay once in a insurance year the excess, so all in, I am better off with the insurance.

It is also peace of mind for other things like 3rd party liability insurance which is included, they pay for a pet sitter should I need to go into hospital etc.

Cindy

I pay £13 per month with Asda . Ive never claimed, even eith his skin problems, mainly due to it being pre existing.

its there for peace of mind really mainly because *god forbid* should I get a massive vet bill I'm not in a position to pay it :biggrin:

Edited by cheryl33

Costs me just over £20 a month to insure my two GSDs (both young) and I think it is worth every penny. Having said that I did let my insurance lapse for Oscar as he got older as the premiums got to a ridiculous level and it did not seem worth it.

Fortunately I am in a position where I can shell out for emergencies if needed but having the insurance makes me feel far less worried about either dog developing a major problem that required ongoing and very expensive treatment.

Plus I agree - in todays climate the liability insurance is essential!

I haven't insured any of mine for years, Bruin is now too old to insure but when I get another dog then I will insure him.

From February 2007 to February 2008 our Vets bills were in the region of £11,000. As a rough guess there would have been about £1500 of that we couldn't have claimed back.

If Bruin were insured I would save at least £300 a year on medication, without anything he has on top of his normal stuff.

To be honest the £11,000 has nearly bankrupted us, £1500 would have been relatively easy to find.

Agree with cheryl33 about it being peace of mind.I simply couldn't afford to pay for a major operation (well I could if I sold my soul) and definitely need 3rd cover in today's sue em society - imagine if one of your dog causes a car crash and someone injured sues for injuries - doesn't bear thinking about.Also living alone cover if needed for kenneling if I need hospitalisation is important as well.

I don't insure. 2 of mine they refuse to cover (Cooper cos of age and unknown history & Cromwell because he has an immune disease and is too old!) so I don't bother. I would find the money if necessary. I do insure my horse (legally I have to have 3rd party anyway) and also Herbert..because he's a thug cat :laugh: and I can see him coming home dragging a leg one day, his is only £3 a month so I don't mind paying that.

If I had just 2 dogs I'd pay the insurance tbh, but with 4 ..none of which I've ever had a vet's fee high enough to claim for anyway I don't see the point.

Costs me just over £20 a month to insure my two GSDs (both young) and I think it is worth every penny. Having said that I did let my insurance lapse for Oscar as he got older as the premiums got to a ridiculous level and it did not seem worth it.

Fortunately I am in a position where I can shell out for emergencies if needed but having the insurance makes me feel far less worried about either dog developing a major problem that required ongoing and very expensive treatment.

Plus I agree - in todays climate the liability insurance is essential!

Do you mean £20 total for both dogs, if so, may I ask who you insure with :flowers: I'm paying £22.50 for one dog and £16.50 for another. Thanks

Lucy Greyhound insured with Virgin - cos a greyhound running round at full speed where there are possible holes in the ground could be expensive.

Toastie Terrier - is on the Dogs Trust Foster scheme, so any illness is covered apart from the first £7.50. I have a high interest savings account in case of accidents (or as happened last year attacks - tho the attacker's owners paid everything). He also has 3rd party insurance.

Jed Bulldozer - insured with Tesco - never had to claim, but as he is a lively, deaf pup still (OMG, and the SIZE of him!!!) want to be safe rather than sorry.

The late great Bud was with Pet Plan, and although their premiums are not the cheapest thank goodness he was, in his last year we were almost at the max for the heart related claims PLUS a few other claims, and they did no quibble.

Little Alice - looked into insurance when she decided to stay, but decided the monthly premium plus excess applicable for her age meant it made better sense to put the same amount as the premium into a high interest account each month instead. I also took out an accident cover insurance for her, which included 3rd party.

Emily, Jake and Ben were all with Pet Plan, and never had any problems with claims.

I would strongly recommend at least a 3rd party insurance in these days of claims!!!

My 3 are all insured and I pay about £57 in total per month.

I claim for Benji on a monthly basis which totals in excess of easily £200.

For Lily I have claimed for her skin allergy treatment and op to remove stones in her intestines.

For Kyla I have claimed for op after she ate facial wash & part of brolly, recurrent stomach problems and ongoing problems with lame hind leg. The vets mentioned doing an MRI scan on Kyla which is £3000. I can happily get that done without worrying about paying it.

Insurance is beneficial for me and my lot which saving money each month wouldnt cover.

How many of us have contents insurance or comprehensive car insurance?

I bet many people affected by the floods had paid insurance premiums for years without claiming, but were jolly glad the insurance company was there to pick up the bill.

Insurance is not to make a profit, but to give you peace of mind that should a large bill arrive, then you have something to fall back on.

My present dog has not cost much in vet bills, so Petplan have benefitted so far. But my last bitch cost them thousands in the four years she was insured with them, despite exclusions for previous conditions, which had cost me over a thousand pounds.

One bill of over four hundred pounds arose two months after insuring her and was paid without any quibble.

My vet told me the worst position he found himself in was when he could treat an animal, but the owner couldn't afford the treatment.

And yes, he did allow credit, but it still had to be paid back.

All mine are insured. I'm not going to work out how much it costs, too scary :rolleyes: If I had absolutely pots of money and knew 100% I could always pay any vet bill, I might ditch the vet cover aspect of insurance and just pay for the liability stuff.

Of those who have no insurance at all, with dogs especially, does the lack of any liability cover not worry you? I am a worrier I confess.