UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Logan Crisis!

Katie

Have just returned from a mad dash to the emergency vet with Logan.

Around 10pm tonight he started gulping, hawking and coughing as though he had something lodged in his throat. At midnight he started to be sick and in the space of 30 minutes was sick 5 times bringing up his entire tea and everything he had drunk all evening. After being sick he seemed to settle down a little but shortly before one he started retching again and was getting very distressed.

He was able to breathe OK so was not actually choking but it was pretty obvious he had something nasty going on somewhere in his throat/airway. He was producing lots of foamy saliva so although his stomach did not feel distended at all I was concerned that my guess of something in his throat might be wrong (which was potentially serious anyway) and that he might be showing the early signs of torsion.

So off to the vets we went after managing to find a taxi firm that would take us (first one refused). My practice unfortunately now uses Vets Now for their out of hours cover so although we still went to the usual place it was a different face and very different prices! More of that later.

Anyway - the lady vet we saw was absolutely excellent and after a thorough examination was confident that torsion was not the problem. She could not find anything still lodged in his throat but there was lots of frothy foam at the back of his throat and she feels that he has either had something lodged there (probably a piece of food) and managed to dislodge it or that at some point something he has eaten has had a sharp edge and caused some damage to his larynx or tonsils.

As the wretching had eased off quite a bit before we got to the vet (typical!) we decided that it was not essential to knock him out and investigate further. He has been given a fast acting steroid injection to ease the irritation/swelling and an antibiotic jab to prevent any infection/abcess formimg.

The cost was explained to me as £120 to see the vet + a normal consultation charge!!! They also ask for the money to be paid at the time of treatment - luckily I am in a position to be able to afford it but is still a shock to find out the prices. Having said that the final bill including treatment came to £136 so I have obviously not be charged for a consultation on top of the emergency fee.

To be honest I am not too stressed about the cost as I felt the vet was extremely thorough, she was wonderful with a very stressed Logan who is not the best of patients even for routine treatment and the cuplrit is now laid flat out next to me sleeping off his trauma so things could have been alot worse!

He has to go back tomorrow during normal hours if the symptoms come back but for now is much more relaxed so fingers crossed the medication he has had has done the trick.